Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maegan
Super July 2018 British Columbia

Passports and name changes

Maegan, on December 4, 2017 at 12:22 Posted in Honeymoon 0 16
How does it work when you change your name? Do you have to get a new passport right away? Has anyone run into issues flying out of country without updating your passport first?? My passport expires in january but i dont want to pay to renew it if im going to have to change it again between my wedding in july and my honeymoon in september.

16 Comments

Latest activity by Daphne, on December 20, 2017 at 11:30
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Airlines just look to make sure the ticket name and passport name match. If you're not using your passport for more than that, then should be ok.

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is good to know thank you!
  • Katherine
    Curious August 2017 Ontario
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It worked out for me because I was married in August 2017 and my passport was expiring in November 2017. So I did wait and then I got my new documents after the wedding. What I can tell you, is to get your name changed on your passport you will need another document to support the name change such as a driver's licence so get that changed first. You will of course need the marriage certificate as well as another form of proof in both cases.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep your name for the ticket purposes until your married. My husband just changed his last name on all his documents and the same for the passport too. It will be done soon since mine has expired for 2 years now.
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should discuss this with a lawyer. Different places/passports have different implications.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s what I also know. If your passport name matches the ticket name, you will be fine. However, I guess it wouldn’t hurt bringing your marriage certificate with you, just in case.

however I would be interested in the process of changing your name. I do not want to completely change mine, but the both of us have decided that of we dichange names, one should get the last name of the other both ways.
  • Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I renewed my passport this summer and I asked the lady at the passport office what I would do since I am changing my name before my passport expires. She told me that as long as I book my airline tickets with the same name on my passport I would be fine.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've heard conflicting things on this.

My sister-in-law didn't change her name on her passport until it expired. So, for the first couple years, she used her maiden name to register for flights.

My friend said that she was told (by the passport people) that she would have to take her marriage certificate with her if she didn't change her name on her passport.

It makes sense though that the name on the passport must match the name on the ticket. I once had an issue because the airline messed up and put my mom's middle name as my middle name. It didn't match my passport and they didn't catch it until I was boarding the plane.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm in the same boat! I'm actually debating suggesting to my fiance that we take a "local" honeymoon and then I'll apply for my passport once I change my name and then we can go somewhere warm in the fall/winter. But, I also want to spend the week after my wedding on a nice beach!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed! so irritating!

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's what I heard!! Not entirely sure though! You'll have to call the place you are booking through to confirm 😊
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmmm. Maybe ill have to look into that. That would make sense though.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it's different than as long as you bring your marriage certificate you'll be fine. That's what I've heard anyway
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh i didnt even think of that. My flight is already booked under my current name... So i guess ill just have to wait to change my name then until we get back?
    Also i know nothing about what i need to do to change my name haha
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think someone has told me that as long as you book the ticket in the name that is on your passport, then you'll be fine. I'm only half way through my 10 year passport so I'm debating what to do. There should definitely be a better process for when you get married and change your name rather than paying full price and applying for an entirely new passport! It's really ridiculous.

• Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the name on the passport just has to match what you booked the plane ticket as and what’s on your license. Could be wrong though!
    My passport is expired so I’m going to have to pay to apply for a new one soon so I can go on my honeymoon and then pay to change it when I get back and change my name.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics