Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Master October 2019 Ontario

Parents keep adding to guest list

Allison, on August 30, 2019 at 21:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
Hey everyone,

I know I’m not the only one that this has happened to, but I’m not sure what to do.

My dad texted me a few hours ago asking if he could invite his cousin and her husband. Guys, my RSVPs are due on Sunday and I’ve already made some changes to the guest list (i.e. added cousins I forgot about a few weeks ago).

I don’t really know these people and I feel like I say yes, my dad will come back in a few days to ask about someone else and it won’t stop. However, we’ve had a few declines and my parents are paying for the reception.

Basically, I feel like I don’t really have a reason to say no, other than the fact my FH and I don’t really know them and I don’t want to look out on our wedding day and see a bunch of strangers.

My dad is also very stubborn, but his text seemed really polite and I don’t know how to proceed

Parents keep adding to guest list 1

8 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 11, 2019 at 12:51
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would not invite them. i dont want to meet people on my wedding day.... just say your hall is full no more invites lol!!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your parents are paying for the reception and you have cancellations, I don't see it being an issue as long as you communicate that you can't continue to add other guests with such little notice. Perhaps tell him the maximum number of additional guests he can invite (depending on how many cancellations you have.)

Like Rayanne said, there's a possibility these particular cousins won't even come to the wedding with such little notice anyway.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone,

Dad’s cousins are actually on vacation that week, so they wouldn’t be able to come anyways. I told him that I am no longer making any changes to the list so hopefully he doesn’t misspeak again lol
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would invite them and tell you dad that you cant invite anyone else because of the head count being in so soon. Maybe they won't even come....
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have any extra space, I'd invite them even though it might be kinda awkward to have strangers there. Since your parents are footing the bill for the reception, I think your dad has the right to save face after sticking his foot in his mouth lol. BUT I'd also explain to him that the headcount has to be in soon so you can't be adding any more than that. Hopefully that will keep it from opening the floodgates for more invites.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if your parents are paying for the reception they get to invite whomever they choose. I know that likely isn't what you want to hear.

Looking at the texts, it looks like your dad made a bit of an accidental blunder and he wants to save face.
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you have the room go ahead and invite them. I’ve had this happen multiple times! I just added 6 people 2 weeks ago (our deadline is Tuesday) because my FMIL was doing shower invites and some people she wanted to come weren’t initially invited to the wedding. Chances are they won’t come anyways, but it was still super frustrating to have people added last minute. with them I’m still sticking to the same rsvp date.
    It’s even harder when your parents are paying, but at the end of the day, it is your wedding, and you guys need to invite the people you want there!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its nice you invite the guests hes asking about without any way of whom they are to fill the seats.

The fact you are getting the RSVPs back by Sunday and don't want to expand your time for final counts, don't send out more invites. Your parents are great for offering to pay for reception though you can stop the guest list at any time with guests you don't know.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics