Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Parents Gifts

Holly, on April 5, 2019 at 15:00 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

So I am trying to figure out what to get my parents for gifts and I cannot think of anything! For my dad the typical handkerchief is just not something my dad would really have an interest in. I was thinking personalized cuff links but I really don't know if my dad would be into that. All the typical gifts for dads always say, "I loved you first" and I absolutely hate that! Also not a huge fan of, "Always your little girl". I definitely want something personalized with my name and wedding date but everything I see or think of I just think he wouldn't use or they just aren't something he is particularly interested in. He loves cycling but I don't know what to get that would be related to that.
I also I have no clue what to get for my mom. She has been a huge pain in the a$$ this whole planning process and we don't necessarily have the strongest relationship anymore. All mom stuff I've seen refers to being best friends but that's just not the case with us.
I was also considering getting my stepmom something but once again I have no clue what so I may just get her a nice card.

As for my in-laws to be I may just give them a card because my FH will be giving them a gift so I don't see the point in doing that too. Once again...he has no clue what to get them!

What is everyone doing?

Are you getting your parents a joint gift or separate? Are you also gifting you in-laws to be or just your fiance(e)?

Any ideas you want to share?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Leandra, on August 1, 2023 at 10:28
  • Leandra
    Curious June 2024 Ontario
    Leandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For my dad I’m going to get him a tie he can wear on the day that on the back has a picture of him and me when I was young. For my mom I’m going to get a picture made of her mom, her and me all in our wedding dresses from the back. We lost her mom when I was 3 pretty suddenly and I know she’d really cherish this gift! As for my future in laws, not sure yet!
  • EthanJames
    Ontario
    EthanJames ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Figuring out parents' gifts can be a real head-scratcher, huh? For your dad, personalized cuff links might be a cool touch, but it's essential to find something he'd genuinely love and use.
    As for your mom and stepmom, it can be a bit trickier, especially with complicated relationships. Maybe a heartfelt card would do the trick to show you're thinking of them.
    Talking about gifts, I got this adorable custom necklace from Name Necklace Official , and it totally made me feel special and sentimental.
    For my in-laws, we decided to go with a joint gift from my fiancee and me to show our appreciation.
  • Y
    Newbie July 2026 Missouri
    Yann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's always challenging to find suitable gifts for parents. When you buy them something expensive, they get upset because, in their opinion, I wasted money. When you get them something on a budget, they say that I don't appreciate their efforts raising me. What can make them truly happy?

• Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have decided cards on the day of the wedding and then we are going to get both sets of parents a custom album of pictures from the wedding (the family photos we take and such). Both sets of parents really like photos so we thought this is what they would most appreciate. We will write a short note to each set of parents in the front of the album as well.
    We talked about something small to give each parent on the day off as well, a small token of appreciation type thing but undecided.
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same thing with my mom... but she is also the kind that would make a fuss if I got her a gift that she didn’t think was special enough.

We did separate gifts for everyone. As my parents are split. And I didn’t want to make one side feel more or less special than the other.

My dad we we got him a tie and pocket square to match the colours for the day of. We also got him a nice cigar and a custom zippo. I knew that’s what he would appreciate most.

Grooms dad we got a matching pair of fun socks to match the groomsman (they all got different bright colours moustache socks from bold socks). And we are getting him a custom engraved knife set as well. FH dad isn’t one for keepsakes and would actually use the knife a lot.

My mom we got a beautiful custom compact off of Etsy from the shop crystalfiligree. You choose the colour clay and it’s adorned with some swavorski crystals as well. You can choose everything from simple mother of the bride, to her initial , to the love between a mother and daughter is forever. I went mother of the bride. They are well made and very nice in person.

And my FH mom we got a similar item, but she wouldn’t use a compact so we got her the pill box. It’s smaller. But still custonizable and beautiful.

We also plan on writing personal notes and putting them in with the gifts. And gifting them framed photos after the big day of moments captured with them by our photographer.

Parents Gifts 1
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we'll be getting earrings for our moms.

As for our dads, either cuff links or golf accessories.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My in laws are fairly religious so we’ve decided to get them rosaries blessed by the Pope. I’m also going to write them a letter for them to read the day of!

My parents are harder because I want to give them something they’ll use ...not something they’ll just put on a shelf and forget about.

i was thinking maybe giving them a photo album to keep of me growing up, adding my stepdad to our lives and creating our blended family, and photos finally with adding my FH to the family. My mom isn’t very sentimental but my stepdad totally is so I know he would love it.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hmm i didn't even consider getting them a gift so i guess i better rethink this. I have no idea what I would get them.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am literally stumped for everyone! My parents are big on not buying gifts for them and saving our money. So I was going to get a keychain for my dad and maybe a wine glass for my step mom
    my in laws are even harder to buy for because they have everything lol. I may just stick to a card too
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I was looking for things to get my dad I came across a keychain that said "of all our walks together today was my favourite" and then it had the wedding date below it. I got my Dad the typical handkerchief and a Love Book.

We got the moms precious moment figurines with little messages from us written on the bottom and we got them Love Books as well.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm stumped with my dad too, for a lot of the same reasons that you mentioned Holly! With my parents, I know they both like their booze so I might gift FOB and MOB drink ware (beer glass and wine glass) since I know it's something they'll use.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was going to do a pocket knife for my dad engraved as I know he would use it- this was an idea though nothing ordered yet.

My mom- honestly so stuck on this!! I was considering getting a necklace and something cute written on a card.

Honestly in the end I think my parents would rather time with me and something small as a keep sake.

Any gifts we do decide to give will be joint. We don't want to do 8 gifts- if one does a gift for the other we will include something written from the both of us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics