Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Curious February 2024 Ontario

Outdoor wedding planning

Angel, on June 30, 2022 at 12:23 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 25
Is anyone else planning an outdoor wedding completely stressed out about the potential for bad weather?
I'm planning a wedding for early October 2023 and have chosen an outdoor ceremony in a park because of the natural beauty of the location and the pavilion can stand a light rain situation. So far this summer in Ontario has been crazy storms and heavy rains and it's made me so nervous about next year.
Does anyone planning an outdoor wedding have plan b suggestions for wild weather? Or how you plan to walk down the "aisle" in light rain without a hair and makeup meltdown?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Angel, on July 8, 2022 at 14:28
  • A
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It sounds like it will be incredible and you have everything in place to make things go smoothly. Best wishes!
  • Dessa
    Frequent user September 2023 British Columbia
    Dessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We will have a niece and her friend as day 9f coordinators so they will make the necessary adjustments along with other family. No matter what happens it's gonna be an amazing day!
  • A
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a great plan and the 6pm start time will give you plenty of time to change things over. Hopefully you can arrange to have other people do that for you so you can just enjoy your day.
  • Dessa
    Frequent user September 2023 British Columbia
    Dessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married outside too but our backup was to rent the indoor space at our venue as well...worth the extra cash. The decision will be made the day ahead and then the space we choose will be decorated as we have planned. If for some reason there is a drastic change in the weather the day of...we will just change spots as our decor for the ceremony is limited and the ceremony is at 6pm so lots of time to switch it up.... I think...lol.
  • A
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg😮 That has to be the nearest thing I have ever seen!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's pretty neat! I love the whole property of the winery !
    Outdoor wedding planning 1
    Outdoor wedding planning 2
    Outdoor wedding planning 3

• A
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds so cool! I'd love to get married in a pyramid ❤️
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our ceremony is outside as well and we have a back up plan if it rains. We have a huge pyramid on site and that's where our ceremony will be held if the weather turns
  • Andrea
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    For sure!! It’s definitely worth a try to ask them - we were thinking of doing the ceremony under the tent too but I chose not to go that route for the same reason as you! I wouldn’t have the same feeling, plus it would be a lot of work if you had to move chairs and tables for the guests
    Best of luck Angel!🥰
  • A
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the suggestion Andrea! We are doing a park pavilion ceremony and a backyard reception as well, I'm looking into a tent of the right size for the reception at the moment. The ceremony has pavilion coverage but the sides are open so if it's heavy rain it would become a problem. Our officiant isn't from my fiance's church so I will look into whether or not we could use their space. I guess we could always do the whole thing in the reception tent if we had to but it wouldn't have the same feel so I am definitely going to take your suggestion and have him ask!
  • Andrea
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm getting married October of this year! Our plan is to do the whole thing outside in my parent's backyard - uncovered ceremony and we have a tent for the reception. We booked our church in case of bad weather for the ceremony, but the reception will still be held in the backyard since we have a tent.

It was only around $200 to book the church, this could be a potential option for you?

Hope this helps!

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue is out side, but incase of bad weather we have a space inside the venue just in case.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm certain your venue will have an indoor backup option. Even with slight rain, the venue will usually enforce the indoor option because you or your guests slipping on a wet floor is grounds for a lawsuit.

• A
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! The one thing about having the wedding in October is that it won't be sweating hot. The weather will be unpredictable but the idea of spending a day in an elaborate dress being hot and sweaty is not my idea of fun. Hopefully it will be dry and reasonably warm.
    I am prepared for chilly, I'm making a shawl wrap to go with my dress and I'm going to check with the park to see if we can put up a party tent beside the open ceremony pavilion in case of rain.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First off congrats!

Outdoor weddings in public parks or anywhere can have tents as a back up if the weather acts up and you can roll down the sides to enclose from yourself and everyone else getting wet.

I did find a few outdoor weddings nice in the heat though there was a lot of sun coming into the eyes and Indian clothing sweating inside. Just a shade to cover is even a thought to have your guests feel comforted and secured.

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes that’s good for the umbrellas and they look great in pictures!
  • A
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for the support 😊 I'm sure it will, there is lots of time to figure it out and I've added the clear umbrellas to my list.
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forgot to add that normally your coordinator or the people of your wedding hall will suggest you do it indoors if the weather isn’t in your favour.
    Some also offer marquées outdoors for you.
    Check with them.You can also rent them out.
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi,
    Outdoor wedding here, but we have a plan B indoors. They gave us a venue hall for the ceremony in case of rain or too hot 🥵
    I’m not stressed about that honestly because it was a risk we were willing to take Don’t sweat it! Just make sure you have a plan B and that it’s organized (decorations, directions, guests, etc.). It will be as as pretty indoors than outdoors. Good luck you got this! Don’t stress about this trust me! Not worth it.
  • A
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm so happy that your day turned out so perfect! May is definitely similar to my October choice, so hard to predict. I guess it's the same all the time if you live in Canada lol. I stress a lot over what ifs. The only thing to do really is to have solid backup plans.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got lucky and our reception venue has a 2nd room (that they don't rent out unless you rent both rooms) so we could use that for the ceremony if needed and the venue manager said we could even let her know the morning of the wedding if we needed it. And let me tell you I was definitely stressing about the weather. May 22, 2021 was freezing rain and HORRIBLE weather. I was actually thinking about changing our wedding date. But MAY 22, 2022 was the PREFECT day for an outdoor ceremony
  • S
    Newbie September 2023 Ontario
    Shyann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats! I’m Getting married next year in late September, also doing our doors. Honestly I’m the type that I would rather walk down the isle in the rain if it rain lol. But my fiancé and I are Doing see through tents for the reception and having clear umbrellas on stand by for the ceremony!
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the photos with clear umbrellas are absolutely gorgeous and it would work anywhere. And I am super excited for Banff, it's going to be some amazing views.

• A
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Clear umbrellas are a great idea! I see you are in Banff, that would be the most beautiful place to have an outdoor wedding ❤️
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am also having an outdoor ceremony and I am going with it, rain or sunshine.

Once I get closer to the date and see what the weather is looking like, I may have to buy some clear umbrellas and tell everyone else to bring an umbrella.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics