Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Haley
Newbie September 2020 British Columbia

Out of Town invites

Haley, on June 24, 2019 at 17:53 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
I would say that 85% of our guest list will be coming from the other side of Canada... we're on Vancouver Island and most of his family live on the East Coast and need time to prepare and plan to come out for our wedding. We don't like the idea of Save the Dates (they seem like an extra and unnecessary cost) but need to give his family loads of advance.

We're getting married September 2020 and would like to send out invites to his out of town family, but I'm worried even needing to give them time to plan that it's still too early to send invites out (with my side of the family all living in town, we're likely to order invites and send them out closer to our date).

I've kind of rambled on here, I guess I'm just looking for opinions because not knowing exactly what our best route is here is holding us back from getting on with the planning 😅

18 Comments

Latest activity by Jillian, on August 20, 2019 at 10:54
  • Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are in a similar situation.

Our wedding is September 2020 and 75% of guests are travelling from Saskatchewan to Ontario.

We sent out save the dates to the Saskatchewan people, close friends and our wedding party/parents 1.5 years in advance. And everyone was soooo appreciative for the advance notice. We are sending the rest of the save the dates now (almost 1 year until the wedding) I also made our save the dates, and hand delivered most of them.

For our invitations we will do the same. We will send the majority invites in the spring (6-7 months before the wedding) And then send the Ontario people their invites 3-4 months in advance, this way we can also send out to our B-list guests at the same time if some Saskatchewan people arent able to attend since their rsvp date would be around when we send out Ontario peoples. If that makes sense lol. Just make sure you are very organized and mark down or cross off who you have sent them all too. I am also making our invites as well and will hand deliver what I can.

Hope that helps!!!

• Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love this idea! Thanks for sharing, I may have to use it 😁
  • Lussierk00@outlook.com
    Curious January 2020 Manitoba
    Lussierk00@outlook.com ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could always just make a Facebook group as a "save the date" kind of idea. Just invite the people you're inviting to the group and announce the date and location if you already know it. Tell them invitations will be sent out soon but just wanted to give everyone a heads up. If some of those people dont have Facebook, surely they will have family members who will see it and tell them. You could also call the few people who don't.
  • Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just some input. We did the save the dates (by mail) but you could totally save the cost and send paperless ones. If you're planning a casual, informal wedding you could even make a private Facebook group if you don't plan to create a wedding website. This way you can give the guests all the details they are looking for.

I sent my invites out March 22nd, 2019. Our wedding date was June 22nd, 2019. And the guests had until May 3rd to respond. This gave me 1 month to collect any unresponsive RSVPs and 1 month after that to finalize numbers, complete any planning (like the seating chart) that was dependant on numbers without over cramming everything into that final week.

75% of our guests were "out-of-town" but most were only a 4-5 hour drive away not located across the country.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did digital save the dates at $0 cost and sent them through email. It was literally just a goofy picture of us with a date on it but we were very similar situation- wedding in the Fraser valley and 60-70% of our guests were coming from out of town (Ontario, northern bc, New Brunswick, Alberta) so I wanted to make sure that everyone had lots of notice to make travel arrangements. Seemed to work well!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did online save the dates for out of town guests. There are a number of free options on paperless post. Just don't add anything to it like an envelope or a liner, and it'll stay free. Whats great about paperless post is that you can see which guests have opened it, so you know 100% that they received it.

Here's what ours looked like:

Out of Town invites 1

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would revisit the Save the Dates - this is where they are super useful with the heads-up! You can do online/emailed Save the Dates so it's not an extra cost to you, but the East-Coasters get that advanced notice!

75-80% of my guests are out-of-town - not so much they have to fly but most need to book the hotel and time off work (shift workers on the weekend) so it definitely helped having that extra notice.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have to agree with the others that even though you are not a fan of save the dates, your guests may appreciate them especially if they have to do some extensive travelling. I think doing online save the dates is a good cost effective way to do this. As the others have said, get your wedding website up and running with all the required information. Your other option is send out the actual invites to his side or anyone who would be travelling and then send the rest closer to your date.

• Ashley
    Newbie September 2019 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am also on the Island with my in laws coming from Sask or the UK. We did what a lot of people have said and sent out email Save the Dates. We then mailed out our actual invites after that. The only pain in the butt is tracking down everyone's email addresses!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with some comments below with even a email type of save the dates- this way not an extra cost but something people should get and then the invites closer too.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The invites for out of town guests can be sent a month prior since they would need more time to prepare for travel making arrangements. Province wise, you should be ok to send it on time since they don't need to drive that far and can reply the same RSVP date.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For your out of town guests, I would for sure do save the dates in some way. You could create online ones and email them out to everyone. Creating a private Facebook event or a google calendar invite.
    Especially since they are on the other side of the country you want to give them as much notice as possible. I sent my save the dates out about 10 months out and everyone is in town, but it still gives people the time to save money and prepare for it
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you don't like the cost of save the dates, you could always just send a blanket email to everyone who will need to prepare to travel for your wedding. I personally like save the dates and you could totally just send them to those from out of town who need the advanced notice.

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did save-the-dates as all our guests save one are flying in from across the country. We hit a Vistaprint sale so the cost was reasonable and only sent those to our guests who we knew didn't ‘do’ email. For the tech friendly ones we put together a digital save-the-date.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely recommend save the dates, whether they are online or not.

Itll help your guests save and book time off early if required.
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say To atleast do online save the dates ! and maybe get your wedding website up and running and include a link. That way people can check for updates and etc.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you considered online Save the Dates? This could be easier and free! Then you wouldn’t have to stress!
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Haley,

I am in the same boat as you as all of my guests are coming from the other side of Canada as well. We sent out Save-the-Dates about 11 months in advance for this reason. This gives our guests a chance to look up information WELL in advance and it doesn't give them an excuse not to be able to come. We sent our invites with a little info card 5 months ahead.

I think this worked out SO well. I also put a ton of information on my wedding website because guests needed to book planes, cars, ferry, accommodation etc. People will definitely appreciate having a ton of notice when you have so many things to plan. This gives them lots of time to save money, and also plane tickets are WAY cheaper if you can book them close to a year ahead.

Hopefully this helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics