Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Newbie October 2021 Ontario

Ordering a Dress timelines

Jennifer, on May 30, 2021 at 09:40 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19
Has anyone ordereda dress recently? I'm in Toronto so wedding dress shopping has been impossible last few months (and I can't even get in a store till mid June now) and now I'm all panicked as I'm being told it's about 4 month on average to order a dress. I am getting married late October so it's getting super tight. Just wondering what order timelines are like for those that have ordered. Thanks Smiley smile

19 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on June 2, 2021 at 14:34
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I recently got my dress and I am getting married in October as well. I had a few appointments that I had to cancel, but I eventually got mine. You can check out David’s Bridal online, they have some lovely dresses. I know it’s scary to buy online, but just measure yourself before shopping to confirm that you’re able to get the approximate size.
  • Lara
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Lara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depending on your size, the bridal boutique has a sample sale on right now https://www.thebridalboutique.ca/shop.

Or angies bridal in Watertown has quite a few samples you can buy off the rack.
  • Alyssa
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also you can try to get yours custom made that’s also an option
  • Alyssa
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It took me to get mine in six months but they can fast track it for a fee. Depends on the designer
  • Maria
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I purchased mine end of June 2020 and got it mid December 2020, so about 6 months. (Purchased in Toronto)
  • Tanya
    Newbie November 2021 Ontario
    Tanya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in Toronto as well but I managed to go in person shopping in March between the two lockdown periods. I was told to expect my dress to arrive at the end of August/beginning of September (so about 6 months). We rushed to ordered bridesmaid dresses from David's bridal at the same time and I was told they would arrive in August but two of them have already arrived. I know bridesmaid dresses don't typically take as long as wedding dresses, but David's Bridal might be a quicker option once stores open up again. Otherwise, I would suggest browsing a lot of boutiques for their off the rack dresses. If you like what they have in your size then you don't have to wait on an order. It just might take a little bit more effort visiting a number of stores to find what you want.

• S
    Frequent user February 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I ordered end of feb in 2020 and got mine mid august...so 6 months or so.
  • S.
    Beginner October 2022 British Columbia
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you looked in to wedding dress rental options in Toronto?

I visited a dress rental store in Vancouver (Vimo Wedding, for those looking in Vancouver) and was really surprised at how well the dresses fit from my visit! Most rental dresses have corset back closure (instead of zip closure for the dresses for sale) which can easily fit different body types. They even offer temporary bustles for some dresses with train.

If you do not care about owning a dress and are not looking for anything with long sleeves, I highly recommend looking into renting. The rental price includes cleaning. You can wear a more expensive dress for a lower cost. And there's no need to wait for 4 months.

• C
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sash and bustle in Toronto offers a try at home service as part of the virtual appointments. May be worth looking into to at least see some fit?
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can try The Brides' Project. They have their stock listed online. Sizes for 25"-48" waists in various styles from the past three years available. They're off the rack dresses that are used once by other brides but proceeds go to cancer research.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you haven't been able to try on any dresses yet I would be very hesitant to buy anything yet unless you absolutely need to. I think you'll be better off trying to buy something off the rack rather than hope you like whatever you can order through a store via an online appointment considering the cost of wedding dresses. But if you have tried on some dresses and you know the style you like I think you could get away with ordering a dress you haven't seen in person.

Wedding dresses tend to fit differently than typical dresses you'd buy at a typical store because they're made with better quality materials and are generally more structured. So even though you might think you know what will look good on you, it may be entirely different when you actually try it on.

There are a lot of stores that do sample sales or have discontinued styles that are sold at discounted prices. Or as some people have suggested, buying second hand is another option. There are also certain designers that you can order on rush, so if you are able to get in to the store at the end of June or beginning of July you might still be able to order something. I've also heard of some stores that are doing at home try ons where you pick up or they drop off a few dresses and you can actually see how you like them before ordering.

• Gift
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry to hear that. I know it’s definitely not the same experience with a virtual appointment. First off, do you have an idea of the kind of dress you want? How Many stores have you done virtual appointments for? If you have an idea of the dress you want, I’d suggest to go two sizes up your regular dress size and just have alterations done once the dress come in. For example, I am a size 10. My wedding dress size varied between size 10 and size 12 in some stores I checked out. Although, the dress I settled for is a size 12 but just needs to be altered a bit in the waist area to fit me perfectly. Lastly, consider your budget as alterations can go up to $500 depending on what you want to do. I hope you get your dress soon ❤️
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I will check it out thank you Smiley smile
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wish I could go into a store
    I'm in Toronto and we have effectively been in lockdown since I think november. Hopefully can go into a store June 14 but I may of missed opportunity to order. I did a virtual appointment today which I'm not sure what I was expecting but was disappointed. They just went over stuff on website essentially and offered to order.
  • Gift
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Jennifer,

I am also getting married in October and just ordered my dress from pure bridal. Thankfully, I was able to go in store to get my appropriate size as it differs depending on the designer. The order was placed 2 days ago and I was told it will be in store by the end of July. I also have to do some alterations and I should get that done latest mid September. I hope this helps 🙂
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s pretty standard to have anywhere from a 4-6 month wait or sometimes even longer. But like others have said it all depends on the designer.
  • Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought my dress online second hand from Stillwhite.ca

I know not everyone wants second hand but I found an amazing designer dress for less than half the retail value and it looks just amazing! Might be worth checking out.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every designer is different for timelines. Depending on where the dress is coming from.

I bought my dress back in the first couple of weeks of January 2019 and it came in the last week of July 2019.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately timelines will vary by designer and whether or not they offer rush options.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics