Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julienne
Beginner March 2022 Ontario

Opinion

Julienne, on January 8, 2021 at 01:34 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Me and my fiancé have found the perfect venue that meets our needs and budget. We are planning for March 2022 for our wedding. We are ready to sign the contract with the venue and put the necessary deposit but his mom feels like its better to wait until This March coming to start making deposits. My question is it too early to put deposits on venues?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Byron, on January 14, 2021 at 07:53
  • Byron
    Newbie April 2022 Ontario
    Byron ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everyone has brought up valid points of going ahead and booking if the Venue is perfect and fits all of you're needs. My only advice to give on top of what they and mom are saying is to ask the Venue what they're policy is if anything were to happen Covid related... what contingencies they have in place as well as what they do with your deposit. During this time you need to be asking ALL your vendors this question.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sign the contract and put the deposit down if the hall is perfect for you. Don't delay to lose your day. Your mom is being smart to wait to see the chances of the restrictions lifting soon. She is great that way though someone could snatch up your date desired.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely book it if it is truly what you want!! My Fiancé and I just booked an paid the deposit for our venue. Our wedding is in May 2022! If you wait you risk losing the venue!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you love and want that venue for your wedding, I personally wouldn't wait. I would make a deposit. Dates fill up very fast. My venue for instance reserves dates 2 years in advance. Just make sure when you're signing contracts that there's a clause that says you can postpone to another date with no extra charge if you need to and you can switch your deposit to your new date as well

• Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would absolutely put a deposit down if you are 100% sure thats what you want. When my fiance and I found the venue we liked the only option was in September (Which we wanted August, so close enough) We took a look and she had told us that there had been a recent cancellation and the August had a Saturday available. We took it as a "Everything happens for a reason" and didnt even bat an eye. We put a deposit down that night. Venues go super fast especially with all the Brides not only recenty engaged but ones postponing to 2022.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wondered this as well when we were looking. I booked our venue exactly 1 week after he proposed! We didn’t want more than a 1.5 year engagement and I knew that venues would be a heaping mess for rescheduling weddings due to Covid.

The venue we chose is Cellar 52 in St. Jacobs Ontario. They let us put down $2,000 to secure our date, and we had to pay the rest of the 25% deposit within two months.
    I had no concerns with booking them because they had a “6 month reschedule due to Covid” clause, and only a 25% deposit. Everywhere else wanted 50% and didn’t have any notes about Covid in their agreements.
    My only advice might be to look at wedding insurance if you’re paying a great deal upfront. In the event that your venue goes under due to Covid, you should be covered. And make sure you have some lenience in your contract if you need to push your wedding date!
    Best of luck!! ♥️
  • Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you think it’s the perfect venue and meets all your needs I wouldn’t wait. What would you know this March that you don’t know now!? You don’t want to lose out on your perfect venue!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you like the venue and have done your homework (tours, contracts, other options etc) and if you have the money for the deposit now I think you should book it. If you feel you need to sleep on it a little then definitely wait a few days, but waiting until March seems extreme to me.

You could reach out to the venue and let them know that you're waiting on responses from a few other spots and see if they can hold the date for you for a week or a few days before putting the deposit down. This way you've got time to think without worrying someone else will snatch it up.
  • Julienne
    Julienne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We haven’t physically seen the place just saw photos and reviews. We did a virtual tour with them though.
  • Julienne
    Julienne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If Covid continues until then. Which we are hoping it won’t. We got the option to move the date at no extra cost.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Last I spoke to you (which was a few days ago), you were still getting packages from potential venues. I'm guessing you haven't visited the place with the lock down going on. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING until you've gone to the venue for a site visit, met with their reps (people can come off very differently in email vs in person and regardless of how nice the place may seem, you do not want to be working with someone who could potentially be troublesome), ask questions about their operations (what they allow and won't allow) and anything else you may want to know, and definitely ask about covid contingencies.

Don't dawdle but certainly don't rush into things.

• K
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Kendell ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    With how many weddings are getting postponed for the first and some for the second time if you found a venue with the date you want I would out a deposit down. I would talk to the venue about needing to change dates if god forbid we are still living this life in 2022. 2022 is going to be a crazy busy wedding year and I would reccomend jumping on something you love. My friend got engaged this year and is thinking of 2022 and I keep telling her not to wait and to book atleast a venue now so you don't miss out.

Thats just my opinion.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics