Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Curious October 2025 Ontario

Open Bar Cost?

TayCath36, on May 29, 2018 at 00:05 Posted in Wedding reception 1 7

We're going to have red and white wine on each table at our reception.

We will also have a bottle of sparkling wine on each table and an open bar as well.

Since we are only having 20 guests, I doubt that our open bar costs will be high.

What was the cost of your open bar?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Clarissa, on May 30, 2018 at 10:43
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were quoted for 5 drinks per person as an average at about $6.00 a drink. But then we also have to add taxes and a liquor service fees for the bartenders. So each drink actually works out to be closer to $10/drink. For 175 people the open bar tab (not including table wine) will be about $6,000. But there will be a fair number of kids and people who don’t drInk at all so it will probably come out quite a bit lower.

You can take an average of 5-7 drinks per person depending on how much your group usually drinks and then use the average cost per drink for your reception location. But don’t forget to add on the taxes and any liquor fees for your area. Cause it added a substantial amount to our bar tab after I added up all the costs. We would actually be much cheaper per drink to go to a loonie or toonie bar than open bar.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours was ~$40 per person above dinner
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most venues around me estimate your bar (if they are providing) at 8-9 drinks a person. yes that seems like a lot. but when you think of those who don't drink. and those who do, it makes up. so even at 5 bucks a drink and 8 drinks a person. you are about $800 (not counting the wine on the table)

for ours. we are providing out own bar (and the bar charges a fee per person for the bartender/mix/cups/straws/clean up etc). Our open bar is costing us about $6000 (that's estimated 200 people. and buying extra booze as my friends are drinkers...but we can return unopened bottles).

• T
    TayCath36 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We were going to budget about $1000 for our guests as well.

This is in addition to the fixed wine costs.

I know that's way too much but I don't want to get caught without enough funds.

• T
    TayCath36 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your wedding sounds lovely! A weekend bash will be fun.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For our wedding we are doing the same thing as Stephanie but we have 250 guests! Lol as much as his family hits the bottle kind of heavy - lots of my side don't drink at all so we estimated the cost to be roughly $4000 - $5000 at top of the budget (that is roughly going to be 4-5 drinks per person though). If we run out then I will rely on my personal stash Smiley tongue (We are having a weekend wedding and the venue has 3 cabins for the close family and bridal party).

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are able to purchase our own alcohol and are charged a fee per person. We budgeted $1000 and we have 80 guests. I am okay if we run out though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics