Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

On A Scale Of 1-10... how challenging was it to decide on your guest list?

Joey, on July 29, 2019 at 07:56 Posted in Before the wedding 0 27

If 10 is totally impossible, and 1 is no trouble whatsoever, how difficult was it for you to finalize your guest list?

On A Scale Of 1-10... how challenging was it to decide on your guest list? 1

Photo by Daisy Designs in Metcalfe

>>Next question: How successful have your DIY efforts been?

>>Start over: On A Scale Of 1-10

27 Comments

Latest activity by Maegan, on October 6, 2019 at 16:32
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

8- seems everyone has an opinion and when your having a small wedding and your immediate family takes up 75% of the guest list off the bat it makes things hard. We've explained to people over and over that its a small wedding and someones always trying to argue that this person should be invited. Gets frustrating and creates needless drama, I'll be so glad when my invites are officially out and there's nothing anyone can do about it anymore.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

8- We are having a small wedding. Everyone has spouses so that brings the invites up. There are invites we sent out that we did cause we had to. ie ) my brother. And there are the, we want this person but hard to invite them without opening the flood gates for another. Also there have been so many people coming out of the woodwork that are expecting invites and kinda just guilting.....it has been a mess. I had to adopt the concept of "not caring" about exclusing certain people but not other. (I invited my boss but not two of my other coworkers, my fiancee and i both get along with my boss where as the other two have been difficult to say the least) but easier said than done.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1- absolutely no trouble at all. We always knew we wanted to keep it small and only have our nearest and dearest there. We weren't going to invite anyone that we don't talk to on the regular

• Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1 - we had no troubles at all!

• #GotmanTablefor2
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    #GotmanTablefor2 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not difficult based on how we planned our event.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not difficult at all
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    8. It's not too bad, mostly just hard trying to decide who is definitely invited and who is on our 'add-in' list if people say no
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

8. There were more people I wanted to invite, but we decided to keep it more intimate with just close friends and family (DH invited more coworkers, but otherwise it was really just those closest in our life).

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    6- It wasn’t too bad. Like we’re still making adjustments now but it was pretty easy to do
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was the hardest part for me. We wanted a small wedding and it was a struggle to keep it down and be prepared for hurt feelings etc.

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    3 we tried to keep it small with just family, close friends. Only issue I had was my mom wanted me to invite specific people. At the end of the day I didnt mind and my FH and I dont have a large friend circles which works nicley.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted to keep it as far under 100 as possible but still make sure we had everyone important. Plus his family kept trying to add more and more people so that was a challenge.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

7 due to cut downs while doing it considering the costs per person and keeping it to the minimum count.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not really done finalizing it so maybe a 6. We're keeping it on the smaller side so it's tough to make some cuts.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1, ours is mostly family so it wasn't hard deciding who to invite.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd say around a 4. I had a good solid list to start off with, but then my parents came at me with their additions lol. We also debated no kids for a while too, but ended finding a middle ground for that (16 and up for the most part, cutting off at 1st cousins - i.e. no kids of cousins).

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe a 6? our numbers have fluctuated a few times - were still ironing it out
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

About a 3.. I've had some drama come up the past couple days only a week before the wedding of people being very concerned who they will be seated with. but my chart is already printed and I don't care if people don't like their seats Smiley winking

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    3. There was a bit of trouble getting it down but no tears were shed!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We knew who would get invited, but it's managing people's expectations (and +1) that proved to be challenging.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me, I would say 1, I knew who I was going to invite and who I wasn't going to on my side of the family. For my FH and in laws, I would say closer to a 10 as there was always someone being added.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1 - we invited everyone we wanted. Our maximum guest count for the venue was 400 (which we don't want - too squishy). We are hoping for around 200-250 to show up and we have invited I think between 325-350 - somewhere in there.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

3 - for us we knew what we could afford and who we didn't want and what our limit was- we eliminated kids which was easy decision for us, we said mainly family and if we haven't seen them since we started dating or within last year then not on list. The only part that was annoying is our parents telling us these people need to be invited.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1. I have very minimal guests and it was easy to decide.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lets go with a 7. It was pretty hard as I didn't really want to invite most of my family (they are known for being more take and less give in my eyes) and yet my FH had a LONG list to invite. So many people, that we had to have 2 sets of invitations!! In the end we ended up with quite a few no's (can you guess who?? lol MY FAMILY) so we were able to invite everybody on the 2nd list Smiley smile

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    About a 7. It’s hard to determine the cut off point. My FH is fairly close with his extended family on his dad’s side as they all have an island they share with family cottages on it and his mom’s side is Greek so they are used to big weddings where you wouldn’t dream of not inviting your cousin’s best friend’s butcher. We didn’t want a huge wedding as we’re paying for most costs ourselves. You get a bit stuck though when you want to invite “2nd cousin Bob” to the wedding because your close, but that means you also need to invite his sister Carol , even if you haven’t seen her in years. Then will “2nd cousin Pam” be offended if Bob and Carol are invited and she isn’t? It’s a lot of expectations and feelings to juggle.
  • Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was a little hard tbh. I always wanted a small wedding. And we didn’t have any obligations because we’re paying ourselves. I ensured I got a venue that could accommodate my 40 people so I’m not tempted to go over. I know I have to deal with some family members where this is concerned but at the end of the day I’m pleased with my choices.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics