Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nancy
Newbie July 2017 British Columbia

Okanagan wedding dj/mc search

Nancy, on January 18, 2017 at 21:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10

Hey Everyone,

Can anybody give recommendations on a good wedding DJ/MC, I have searched for a while now and cannot find somebody that understands the type of service I want. Our wedding is not going to be very traditional, no first dance, not many speeches and no need to call table numbers for dinner, lighting, and all that other stuff. It outdoors at a winery with about 30 people, a quarter of which aren't big on dancing so I want somebody who is going to do unique games and provide some form of entertainment instead of people sitting around and getting bored after a while. Initially I contacted DJ haymaker because there are amazing reviews for him, however, he is out of our budget. I'm looking for somebody with similar skills but nobody else seems to come close. I think I'm going to resort to a Spotify playlist and hope all goes well if nothing else works out.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Nancy, on January 24, 2017 at 10:45
  • Nancy
    Nancy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Sandra:

DJ John Byrne comes highly recommended by everyone. We booked him for our wedding this summer and I am SUPER happy with my choice

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the recommendation, did you guys have games and interactive activities that he did or did you choose to only have him do music?

• Sandra
    Sandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    DJ John Byrne comes highly recommended by everyone. We booked him for our wedding this summer and I am SUPER happy with my choice
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds like such a sweet and intimate wedding! It will be lovely! Smiley catface I created this test today: What is your wedding style? You could take it to see who has a similar style to yours and exchange more ideas. Smiley smile How's your search going? Have you found any interesting mc/dj?

• Nancy
    Nancy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Emilie:

Hey Nancy! Welcome to the community! Smiley heart I hope you can find the right MC! I think your style is pretty cool and it would be a blot of fun to have someone who can bring the right energy and make everyone have fun and mingle. Smiley smile You can take a look at the vendors in our directory: Wedding DJ near Penticton I also contacted a few brides in your area, I hope they'll be able to you some tips. Will the people at your wedding be mostly close friends and family? Smiley smile Will you have any bridesmaids?

Hi Emilie,

Yes, mostly close friends and family, there won't be any wedding party, just us and the required witnesses.

• Alysha
    Curious August 2017 British Columbia
    Alysha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow! Luckily I won't be having an outdoor reception, but the ceremony will be outside. It's amazing how many hidden costs you can find while planning a Wedding that you didn't consider in the beginning!
  • Nancy
    Nancy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Alysha:

Hi Nancy! I completely understand your struggle, I'm currently looking for a DJ in the okanagan as well. In the past year I have attended weddings that had the Flying Hawaiian, and Les from Airwaves. They were both very fun and I'm sure would be able to pull off some exciting games. Since your guestlist has about 30 people, perhaps having a Spotify playlist would be the best option. If you have an outgoing guest who you could ask to make any announcements you need, and organize the games it could leave you some extra $$ to spend somewhere else. I personally love this idea because it makes the reception a lot more personal Smiley smile
    rel="nofollow"
    Good luck, and let me know how the hunt goes!!

Hi Alysha,

Thanks for the info, it's nice to get a real opinion, seems like every DJ website only has rave reviews and sometimes you start to wonder if they are all real experiences. I did consider asking one of my guests to MC but I'm worried that with the open bar things won't go as planned after a few drinks. Spotify might just be the way to go there are already pre-made wedding playlists and I know our venue provides a speaker system and mic so it seems like a realistic option. Also, I don't know if you're wedding will be outdoors but if it is, keep in mind that most of the contracts I've been sent require an overhead covering for the DJ, so there is a cost for an additional tent rental which I was not planning on initially and the cost for that I've found to be around $400 additional and they require a meal which would be an additional plate cost.

• Nancy
    Nancy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Rory:

Hey Nancy, i live in kelowna and actually work at Summerhill Winery! I found that the kelowna shop and swap wedding page was really helpful in finding local vendors such as a dj, women give advice and many have just gotten married and can build on their own experiences. Where are you getting married exactly ??

Hey Rory,

Thanks for the response, we are getting married at Evolve Cellars, will definitely check out the shop and swap page.

• Rory
    Frequent user August 2017 British Columbia
    Rory ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Nancy, i live in kelowna and actually work at Summerhill Winery! I found that the kelowna shop and swap wedding page was really helpful in finding local vendors such as a dj, women give advice and many have just gotten married and can build on their own experiences. Where are you getting married exactly ??

• Alysha
    Curious August 2017 British Columbia
    Alysha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Nancy! I completely understand your struggle, I'm currently looking for a DJ in the okanagan as well. In the past year I have attended weddings that had the Flying Hawaiian, and Les from Airwaves. They were both very fun and I'm sure would be able to pull off some exciting games. Since your guestlist has about 30 people, perhaps having a Spotify playlist would be the best option. If you have an outgoing guest who you could ask to make any announcements you need, and organize the games it could leave you some extra $$ to spend somewhere else. I personally love this idea because it makes the reception a lot more personal Smiley smile

Good luck, and let me know how the hunt goes!!
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Nancy! Welcome to the community! Smiley heart I hope you can find the right MC! I think your style is pretty cool and it would be a blot of fun to have someone who can bring the right energy and make everyone have fun and mingle. Smiley smile You can take a look at the vendors in our directory: Wedding DJ near Penticton I also contacted a few brides in your area, I hope they'll be able to you some tips. Will the people at your wedding be mostly close friends and family? Smiley smile Will you have any bridesmaids?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics