Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brianna
Curious March 2023 British Columbia

Officiant Decision

Brianna, on March 2, 2021 at 14:33 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 38

How are you deciding on an officiant? How much are you going to spend on this?

I'm finding that the prices are all over the place from $80-$500 and then also some require paying for mileage. I know you meet with them first to decide if you like them - but I don't know I'd like anyone enough to spend $500 for 30ish minutes. haha It seems a little ridiculous some of these prices! haha BUT I have no clue. Maybe I'm way off base saying that's too expensive! Just looking for your thoughts Smiley smile

38 Comments

Latest activity by Jackie, on May 9, 2021 at 14:03
  • J
    Colorado
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're welcome. I know that it seems expensive to you with everything else that you're paying for your dream day! I personally put a lot of time into each wedding I do. I make sure everyone is happy, and I give you the vows that we wrote together a copy in a nice binder with protective plastic sheets in it and they're full of color! I mainly do this as my hobby and someday when I can retire, I hope to do it more than occasionally! It brings me and my clients joy!

I'm currently writing my own handfasting for my Fiance's best friend who's officiating for us and it's like 19 pages long and I need to cut it down so not everyone is bored like they're getting a lecture on handfastings. Smiley smile

• Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for this info!! Very helpful!

• Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh wow that is awesome!

• Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha yes! That is exactly what I thought before asking and all these incoming comments also!! Smiley smile

• Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We don't have one yet, but wow glad I found this thread. These were not amounts I was expecting. Assumed it would be more like an honorarium type cost of maybe $100!
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours was $350.00 and she was kind enough to throw in our next year ceremony as well for free, as we just did a home ceremony this year. I would definitely consider talking to them before and ask all the questions you need and see if you MESH well with them, that is the biggest thing.

• Katerina
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Katerina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is $400 and that was on the lower end where I was looking. It will be more if we want to do a trial run so we are undecided on that but he doesn't charge mileage which is nice.

• Desiree
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went with the Officiant that the venue recommended but I watch her facebook and Instagram to kinda get a feel for who she was. She had amazing deal last summer Officiant/day of planner for 700 I couldn’t pass that up . But I did look around a bit before I found in my area they went any where from 350/450.
  • Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is good to know!
    Thank you for the breakdown. It puts things more into perspective on what is included in an officiant fee. I will definitely discuss a rate with my friend. I want to make sure I'm paying him for the time he puts in Smiley smile

• J
    Colorado
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As an officiant, I charge $300 for my 30 hours of time that it takes to make sure you have a wedding that you want. It includes supplies to print your keepsake vows, my travel if its within my range of 45 miles. You get unlimited phone calls, texts, and emails, AND I also stay for the reception and MC if there’s no DJ.
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The $300-$400 range is typical. But prices also range for the type of ceremony as well as number of guests. We were lucky to find someone for $250 who was amazing...then she cancelled on us as she has to leave the province so now we start our search again and those are the prices I'm finding.

Good luck.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was nice of your maid of honour to pay for your officiant.
    Just FYI for anyone else looking for an officiant - in many provinces not just anyone can go take an officiant course or become ordained. If you want to go that route make sure you look up your province’s rules regarding marriages so you know yours is legal!
  • J
    Beginner July 2021 Alberta
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So we had a hard time finding anyone your right costs were all over we actually ended up getting our officiant gifted to us by my maid of honor due to our request for them to be maskless for pictures ... Honestly one of the greatest favors I ever asked for so the officiant told us there is always the option for a family member to take the officiant course or something it's a online registration... If we didn't get gifted him we would of gone that route
  • Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's sounding like the $300-$350 is about going rate! Smart idea to talk to the venue about who has been there before - I will for sure be doing that to see if they have any suggestions!

• Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank You!!

• Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that's amazing!! I will definitely have to do some looking around before making a decision. Hope that I can find someone like that as well!

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Girl,
    I spent $350.00 on mine, and she was nice enough to do our intimate wedding at home and mentioned she would come do our BIG wedding next year free of charge.
    We did call A LOT of places just to get to know the officiant, and thank god we did because my Hubby was about to book an officiant for $500.00 and we found our lady before then we was way more knowledgeable, intimate, and made it so SHE could get to know US so it seemed she had known us for years before performing the ceremony. Also ask if they will write their own ceremony or if they go off a template. If they are using a template and asking $500.00 its NOT worth it. Our officiant wrote everything and made it to fit US.

• Kathy
    Curious June 2022 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wasn't quite sure what to expect price wise either. Like you said, especially for someone I will only get to know for 30 min lol. Our venue suggested someone that many couples had used who had their weddings there. He is 350 for the ceremony. I guess that is normal? Too late now as we already paid!

• Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to use our good friend. He is in ministry school currently but I already discussed with him this past fall to find out if he can do it. (He was ecstatic to be asked, I almost cried).

Haven't discussed a price yet, I'm thinking $150 since he was going to be invited either way. We are also inviting him to rehearsal dinner and the morning of brunch (I'm still thinking on).

• Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!!! I will check that out as well Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Allseasons did provide Officiants from everywhere to know they are certified and price range based too. We had found our Officiant 10 minutes away for $350. He is great and civil marriage only. Its a great site if you do need to read up on reviews and find some in your area for comparison.
  • Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We booked her well in advance of our original wedding day so the last time we have actually spoken to her was back in July when we post posed. We have to reach out to her soon to do a virtual meeting to go over everything and what vow we would like to recite before hand so unfortunately thats all I really know right now. But she's very sweet and I'm sure if covid wasn't around it would be a different experience because she usually likes to make it personal and have a sit down visit with some tea to chat and get to know each other. Which I thought was a nice idea.
  • Abigail
    Curious May 2022 British Columbia
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What’s been your experience with her so far, as a commissioner? When I research this, I feel like it’s been officiants are more personal/work with you but I’m not really sure about commissioners? Officiants are so steep in price so I’m not sure if we should be booking them lol
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Like you said, $500 is already the high end so a lot of people are charging well under that. Hope you find one that works with your budget!

• Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!! Smiley heart

• Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're right! In the big scheme of things that is a low cost! Smiley smile I was just shocked because it wasn't what I was expecting. haha Seems like it is pretty normal though.

• Brianna
    Brianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oohh could you pass on her info to me? Smiley smile

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh good! I thought for a minute I had been giving people incorrect information (both on here and IRL)! Smiley xd

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha she's something like that. My fiance booked her. I really don't know who does what :p I asked him and he said yes to commissioner and thought they were the same thing :p
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    From the research I did when looking into who can marry people in BC it did not seem like anyone other than a religious official or marriage commissioner could legally perform marriages. Is she a marriage commissioner maybe?
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A JoP is a court officer. They can issue summons and warrants and preside over hearings. In Ontario, the only people other than a particular member of "religious" groups who can perform marriages are Justice of Peace and Judges.

• Kristen
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I believe it is. I personally don't know much about it but my fiancé says so haha.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics