Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Grace
Beginner October 2020 Ontario

October 10, 2020 Help!

Grace, on August 14, 2020 at 13:15 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6
My FH and I postponed our June 6, 2020 wedding. Originally we postponed until May 1, 2021. Recently, outside voices started to convince me to have my wedding this October as guidelines may still be the same next May.

I started to consider it, and eventually agreed that next May things may not be much different, so might as well get married.
We have planned a church ceremony with 50 guests (church holds 300 regularly), with no singing. We will have a space outside for cards, guestbook and individually wrapped favors.
I thought I was okay with that, and then it hit me that I won’t have a first dance, or get to spend much time in my dress, or get to hug and take photos with people without a mask or potentially risking each other. I realized I was heavily compromising for others, as it works best for them if I marry this year.
I have moved vendors like photographer and church, and have gotten license. I feel like I am rushing this for others and not for my FH and I.
Does anyone have any advice for me? I feel like I am going crazy with the back and forth.
because right now numbers in Ontario are good and we could have the ceremony and be married, but also means we are missing out on other stuff.
Help!!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Morgan, on August 15, 2020 at 09:43
  • Morgan
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Morgan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can have a reception in Ontario now! 50 people indoors or 100 outdoors. We are having 67 guests at our outdoor October wedding 😊
  • E
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Elissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am planning a wedding that same day (by choice). We just got engaged and I have always wanted a short engagement. To help with the feelings of "not everyone I love will be there," we have decided to throw a party for all our friends once we are able to do so (we are in Ontario also).

I understand the sense of loss. If you feel like you'd rather wait, then do that. What is helping me is remembering that for my FH and I this is a start to the rest of our lives together, and what matters is that we are together. However you shouldn't feel pressured into choosing a date or timeline you do not want.

I guess it comes down to how well you know all of your guests and who you really want those photos with.

You could always break out the dress again once we are able to be in larger groups again.

I opted for an outdoor wedding with a tent so we can enjoy ourselves.

You could do a first dance in the church as that is between you and your FH and can be done right on the spot (if you decide that timeline) after you are pronounced husband and wife.

Decide what is best for your wedding. If you do not feel sound in your decision then go with your original plan. Ultimately it is up to you and the groom and not those around you.

Best of luck!

• A-W
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    A-W ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's hard not to want to compromise for others. There are pros and cons to doing it this year and to waiting. Next year may have the same restrictions, or morw, or less. Everything is so uncertain right now. If you feel that you are trying to get married this year for others and not because it's what you and your partner want postponing is a good idea. Guests will understand.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's totally about what the two of you want. If you want to wait don't let anyone tell you you shouldn't.

If you're ok with having the party later you can revisit your wedding and have an anniversary reception as an excuse to get dressed up again.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your not going crazy. The times are putting us in a situation where we all have to rethink our decisions. Most couples have preceeded to go ahead with their wedding this year and hold the celebrations for next year. Your photographer is okay with taking some pictures of the ceremony and then using that for a slide show as your guests will see them next year at the venue.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At the end of the day, it is about what you want and what your day will look like according to you. The good thing is the license is good for 2 years because of covid, so that’s one less thing to worry about. While things may be the same in May, they may have changed again and if you want dancing and singing, then it might be worth it for you to take the chance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics