Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Curious September 2023 Ontario

Obligated to choose bridesmaid?

Amanda, on July 19, 2022 at 12:11 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 20
Hi all,
One of our groomsmen, I have chosen not to put his girlfriend in our wedding as a bridesmaid ( just not that close to her ) but it seems theirs a guilt trip happening that I haven’t chose her. Should I feel obligated to put her in just because her boyfriend is a groomsmen?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on July 23, 2022 at 11:35
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Was thinking about that last night,do I really want to see her in every photo. I want just our best friends in our party and that’s what’s going to happen.
  • Samm
    Newbie November 2022 Ontario
    Samm ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I echo everyone above me. You are choosing YOUR people. If she is not one of them, then that's that. I have been in weddings were my partner was not, and vice versa. It's honestly just a part of life sometimes. Is it a little awkward sometimes? Yes. But then again it's not about you, it's about the bride and groom.

• Jessica
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely don’t feel obligated. I don’t have my future sister-in-law in my wedding party and my FH doesn’t have his future brother-in-law in his. Just our own siblings, and two best friends. It’s your day.. honestly it’s kind of weird that she’s making you feel guilty about it, especially if you’re not close. Also keep in mind these people will be in your wedding photos forever… since they’re only dating, if they break up do you really want her in all of your photos?
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your not obligated to have someone you don't feel close to you. Its your day and need to be excited woth the ones by your side.
  • G
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Giuseppina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMG. 100% do not feel obligated at all. If you're not close with her then there is no reason to put her in your wedding party. I didn't include my Fiancés friends girlfriends in our wedding party. Definitely don't feel obligated!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought of just caving and saying heck fine! but my fiance is like no, that's exactly what she wants! Not going to give in, i want it to be the best day for me and it wont get ruined!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Super strange! and also considering i've known all the guys longer than her as well.. it's just super frustrating but i am not giving in yet and i won't!

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ohhhhhh heck no!!
    You do not need to add her to be your bridesmaid. You choose who you want to have. Don’t let anyone make you feel obligated. You got this! Just ignore that part, unless they are making it bigger of a deal, then let them know your choices are already made. Case close! Wishing you continued awesome planning!
  • Jasmine
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Jasmine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If someone offer to be your bridemaid you should take her in case someone drop out. i wish i have people wanting to be bridemaid instead of dropping out becuz it is stressful not to have enough help during wedding!

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Lol that is ridiculous. No. Agree with most of these responses.... so strange. This is a her problem not a you problem!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

LOL, no one is entitled to being in the wedding party, not even family. Who is in your wedding party is based on your choice. That lady is whack if she thinks she is entitled to a spot for being the girlfriend of a groomsman.

And honestly, considering she's making life difficult for you for no reason, I'd be almost tempted to not invite her in the first place.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have three people in our wedding party that have wives and BF and they are not in our party.

Weddings parties are for the people you want to stand by you, that you love and they love you and want to stand by you on your day, not for partners.

Do not feel guilty at all, this is your day. You don't add people just because.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Stand your ground! Your party represents YOUR nearest and dearest. As someone else mentioned, if it's so important that she be in the wedding party put her with the grooms side.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No not at all! This is your wedding and not anyone else's! You chose who you want to be in your bridal party.
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly. Do not feel pressured into allowing her in your bridal party.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s very true, she never said anything about us being friends or meeting each other through the guys , seems she Cares more about that and getting what she wants as opposed to actually wanting to be apart of it for me
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She may be feeling left out, but the big thing you said was that she's known your fiancé and HIS friends for a while. Not you. If she really wanted to be in the party, she can be a grooms women. But it is not under any circumstance you're problem to deal with.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have no idea how and why she’s feeling like that, she’s just made comments on how her boyfriend is in the wedding and she’s known my fiancé and the rest of the groomsmen for a long time.. I picked the girls I feel that are the Closest to me and the ones I wouldn’t mind spending money on it’s just super frustrating when it’s supposed to be the best time of my life and I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place!
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Goodness no, you are not obligated by any means! my FH is having his brother be the best man and I am not including his wife in my party. HECK, even at their wedding, she didn't have her own sister in her party, so there is not any real rules or obligations on that.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Heck no, that is the weirdest thing I ever heard. Your wedding party is supposed to represent people YOU feel most close with and want to have a bit more of a role in the wedding. Both myself and fiancé have 2 people in our wedding party. My MOH is engaged and expecting and her fiancé is not in my FH wedding party. His wedding party consists of 2 men, 1 married and 1 engaged and neither of their SO's are in my party.

That's just weird. Maybe she is upset that her BF will be walking with an other women but that's her problem and she shouldn't be guilt tripping you guys in adding her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics