Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Curious June 2019 Ontario

Number of cupcakes?

Emily, on August 8, 2018 at 20:29 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9
Hello lovelies! My fiancé and I are planning on doing cupcakes instead of a cake. We’ll have a small cake for a traditional cutting as well. I’m just wondering if anyone has advice on how many cupcakes we should get?
Extra info:
we have a guest list of about 220
we will be serving a separate dessert with our meal

i don’t want to get too many and have a huge number left over, but I’m also concerned about not having enough.

thanks!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on August 13, 2018 at 14:05
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're offering cupcakes, you should have enough for everyone. If there's leftovers, have boxes for your guests to take them home! Problem solved Smiley smile

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our buffet option comes with dessert, and we can have a S'mores bar! So there will be lots of dessert...

We are doing a very small 2-tier cake, one for saving, one for cutting. Then we are doing mini-cupcakes. 3 flavours, 3 dozen of each. So we will only have 108 mini-cupcakes, for about 100 guests... We decided that since there will be enough at the s'mores bar for all the guests, I'm okay with the possibility of running out of cupcakes.

The dinner itself is going to be a huge buffet, so I'm not worried about guests leaving hungry!

• Emily
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone! Seems like there is a lot of variation when it comes to cupcakes lol! I’m kind of leaning toward the “less is more” mantra because we’re serving a separate dessert and there’s a late night station as well. Don’t want too much wast! It just seems confusing that when you’re talking cake the rule is 70% of head count, but wit cupcakes the rule of thumb seems to be 100% or more!
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was told you should get enough cake/cupcakes for half your guests if dessert is included with the meal
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When are you serving them? If it’s right after dinner, I would say 1 per person, but if it’s later in the evening, you could probably get away with enough for one for 2/3 of your guests. 1/3 to half will leave before 10:00 (according to our venue coordinator)
  • Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a very helpful question! I am also planning on doing cupcakes for my wedding and had no idea how to do! I would've said less than one per person as many people don't eat them, or have already left - but what do I know! Thanks Smiley smile

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing cupcakes as well and then a cake for just the wedding party for cake cutting pictures. So we may have around 200 guests about so I’m thinking about getting about 220 cupcakes and then on top of the cake that will serve probably more than just the wedding party. If people are too slow and someone takes two cupcakes I’m not going to get upset by it. Also some people like my fiancé doesn’t even like sweets and won’t be having much lol.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Are you doing one kind of cupcake or multiple flavours? If you are just doing one kind I would do about 250 so you have enough for one each plus some extras. Not everyone will eat them.

If you are having more then one kind I would do 1.5 per person because more people will have more then one. So that’s 330.
  • Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say enough for one each plus 1/3 if that makes sense. So 220 plus 75. So 295 or 300 of them? That’s my suggestion.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics