Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Monique
Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan

Not sure about the veil

Monique, on July 30, 2020 at 11:37 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 7

So I bought tulle from fabric land with the intention of turning it into a veil. Today I’ve been trying to decide what length of veil I want but when I put the veil near my head, it feels silly. I’ve tried other veils before and I feel like I look silly wearing one. I like the first 6 inches of the veil where it would be fastened underneath my updo for the day, but I can’t decide if I like the rest of the veil or not. Or even if I should wear one at all. But I think my fiancé envisions the whole ‘two tiered veil and then lift it up before we kiss’ thing. So I guess my question is how did you decide whether or not to have a veil?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Karina, on August 8, 2020 at 16:59
  • Karina
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Karina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I always knew that I'd skip the vail. I did however try it on in the store with some dresses to be absolutely sure that it doesn't work for me. I hated it even more and now I'm 10000% sure it's not for me🙈 The reasons for skipping the vail (besides my personal preference - part of me thinks it makes me look very outdated) were:
    -cost. Of course I could always borrow the vail from my married cousin/friend/sister in law, but in case I had a more particular vision, I'd have to buy my own. And I'm not a fan of adding to the cost of the wedding for things I'm not a 100% sure I need. Also, in many hair and makeup services attaching a veil to your hairdo costs extra.
    -practicality. If your dress already has a train, just think of how much extra fabric it is. Walking would already be a struggle, add to it a potentially windy day, and your guests unknowingly yanking your head back and down everytime you reach for a hug. Because generally the veil is attached to your hairdo, and when people try to hug you, they pull down on the veil if they're not careful.-If your dress is already busy, addding a veil sometimes can make everything look too bulky. Or if your dress has a beautiful back that you'd like to show off/be on the ceremony pictures, you may not want to cover it with the veil. My sister in law was pressured into wearing a veil in a church and she was very sad to see the pictures from the ceremony that didn't show the back of her dress at all.
    All in all, it's your decision to make. I think some girls look gorgeous with a veil, but for me it just doesn't work. I also suggest not to give in to arguments that you have to have one because it's traditional/looks more bridal etc. It's your wedding and you will already look like a bride!! Do whatever makes you happy
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup! I definitely get the ‘cake topper’ vibe when I’ve tried them on in the past lol

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I haven’t tried it on with my dress yet, thanks for the suggestion!

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s awesome to hear!

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It all depends on personal preference. I said no veil because I’m little and with a long dress, I look like a cake topper or one of those old porcelain dolls.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not wearing a veil. I personally don't love how they look and I really didn't like how it looked on me. I tried one on when I was dress shopping and it was a very quick nope haha.

Have you been able to try it on with your dress? That might make it easier to see the whole picture and decide whether you like it better with or without the veil.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Once I had chosen a veil, It took the dress to the next level for me. It made the dress! My veil is only half way down my dress so you can see the details of the lower part of the dress.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics