Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karolynn
Beginner October 2020 Ontario

Not registering for gifts.

Karolynn, on January 5, 2020 at 14:22 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
My Fiance and I are choosing to register for gifts, we have been living together for 2 years and don't need anything. We have seen creative ways to ask for just money for the honeymoon on pinterest and we just want to have a beautiful honeymoon over pots and pans we already have. Has anyone done this or planning on doing the same?
Not registering for gifts. 1

14 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on January 8, 2020 at 12:31
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omg this is great idea! i love love love the sign. i feel like people dont register anymore everyone i know brings envelopes!!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The shower my mother in law had for me, they put it right in the invitation that we wanted cash instead of items because we have been together for so long.

When my step mom had the other shower, it was just word of mouth before the shower that we wanted cash

• Candice
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would just avoid doing a registry. Some people any buy you something you don’t need, but many will give you cash as they won’t know what else to get.
  • Cassandra
    Beginner May 2021 Ontario
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ideally, having money would be a great gift. I have seen people refer to it as "greenback" on the wedding invites. The thing is that people don't always take lightly to being asked to give money. Worse comes to worse, return your gifts if you don't like them and use that money towards the honeymoon Smiley smile I love the sign and thinks its great. Really just depends how you think your guest will feel !
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have heard of honeymoon registry with travel agency to have the guests put their amounts put as a gift. Talk to an agent inquiring about setting up a registry of your choice and putting it on your invitation to make all your guests go to the site and put their gift towards that goal of yours.

Living together does give you everything you need in the home cutting out registries. Another way of phrasing on invitation is NO BOXED GIFTS or MONETARY GIFTS as your guests will be prepared when coming and have a money box that will be kept at the gift table.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is one of the things we had planned on doing but in the end we chose to not do this seeing as how we had only been living together for like a year and needed things. Besides, if you don't register then you don't have a wedding/bridal shower which doesn't affect the presentation given at the wedding itself.

Then for the wedding itself most people already give presentation. You don't have anywhere to put physical gifts and they don't want to haul them to the wedding! Hence why we didn't end up going with one of those poems.

It doesn't hurt - but it also isn't NEEDED imo.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No worries! I know some people might think it's rash, but honestly I don't want to be telling all my guests one at a time that we don't want material gifts. I've already been asked at least ten times over the holidays what will be on the registry, and I'm not going to ask for things that are perfectly fine that we have already. I'm a direct person and would want wedding couples to be straight with what they want, and if that happens to be money then that's what I want to give them. So, yeah if you don't want to be so forward about it, just put the little poem on your website instead of on/in the invitations
  • A
    Beginner April 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is seriously an awesome idea. Never even thought of this! YES 10/10 do this...because now I am!
  • Karolynn
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Karolynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Samantha, you are exactly on the same page we are on. We think the poem is cute and straight forward.
  • Ally
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Ally ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would agree, don’t put this on your stationary, but definitely post it on your website. My fiance’s step sister just wanted cash for her wedding gifts and it felt a little impersonal/weird to me to just hand them cash with no meaning behind it. They already own a house together, they didn’t want household items, and they weren’t going on a honeymoon so it wasn’t being used for any of those things. I would have happily given cash if I knew it was for a honeymoon or other financial goal. It felt weird (especially since we’re the same age) so instead I gave them some dinner and a movie gift cards for a date night - which they promptly used within a month of the wedding. Bottom line, I think it’s nice to know what I’m contributing to if I’m giving you cash. That’s just me though and maybe it’s none of my business what people do with their gift money.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm with Kelsie and Meaghan. Not asking for anything specific will lead most guests to bring cash or gift cards.
    Because some people feel that gift cards are more "personal" than cash you could still put the poem on your wedding website. Then maybe people will reach out and you can steer them in the right direction (us cash or foreign currency, the amount for an excursion you've been planning, airline gift cards etc).
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with Kelsi. Just don't register. People will likely give money anyway, particularly if you haven't registered.

I would also suggest not to have any mention of gifts on your invitation or enclosures. It is not considered polite, but particularly when the request is for money. I once received an invitation to a wedding with what I'm sure they thought was a cute way to ask for monetary gifts. It took me aback as it seemed very bold and mercenary to me.
    If you do decide to use the poem I would recommend perhaps your wedding website.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I used this exact wording lol I thought it was cute. So what I did was instead of having a card with the registry site, I used that part of the stationery to write this on it instead. It'll also be on our website in case anyone misses it amongst the invitation stationery
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m a little confused with the sign - is this language you want to put on your invite? Or you want this sign at your reception?

It seems to me you would get better use out of cash than gifts. In this case, don’t put any registry on your invite and people will bring cash with their card on your wedding day and then you can use it to pay off a honeymoon or book a honeymoon as you wish.
    Cash would also be beneficial for us so on our invites for the wedding and bridal shower, they won’t reference any registry so guests will get the hint to bring cash. If anyone asks if we’re registered I’m just going to say we are already stocked up on household items for our first home but would appreciate cash gifts if a guest would like to give a gift. It’s up to you if you want to tell people what you’re using the money for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics