Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Frequent user June 2018 Saskatchewan

Not as expected

Jessica, on June 25, 2018 at 22:38 Posted in Just married 0 35
You know, I spent 2 years planning my wedding day. This past saturday i finally got married to my best friend and I will say this... as much as you plan, it may not go at all how you think it will go.
My day started off perfect. Ceremony was at 3, and at 1 i called my planner asking about weather. We saw some clouds and were worried. She assured me everything was great.
By 130, every nightmare came true.
My mom and sister couldnt zip up my dress, my planner was calling me saying it was a terrential down pour and our beautiful ceremony sight was washed away.
And then as i began my meltdown, our power went off. It was one of the worst hail/lighting storms we have had all summer and lighting striked the transformer.
We got to the backup ceremony site and spent 20 minutes trying to fix my dress. It was 3 and half of our guests hadnt shown due to the storm.
Another piece of advice..
You wont care.
As i walked down a dirty hallway in my dress, i heard my music play and the doors opened. I saw my fiance at the altar.
All of the horrible stuff that just happened went away because i walked up to my fiance, said my vows and married my best friend. I always said I didnt care what happened because as long as he was at the end of the aisle, my wedding day will be perfect
And it was.

35 Comments

Latest activity by TIANNA, on June 30, 2018 at 10:53
  • T
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    TIANNA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for that post!
  • Nicole
    Newbie August 2018 Quebec
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Jessica, thank you so much for this post! It is so easy to get caught up in the finer details of everything, but at the end of the day, you and your best friend are MARRIED - that's the bottom line.

Thanks for the beautiful reminder!

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This definitely hit me in the feelers!

So glad your day worked out, and that you didn't let the struggles get you down.

Congratulations!! xo

• Keena
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Keena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Awwww this is so sweet
  • Krista
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow!! What a great story! Thank you for this. I fear all of the above, but its true - the best part is just the moment that you and your love share. Thank you for sharing!!

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Love this post. Yes i cried a little because I feel it's every bride's worse nightmare. You are correct though, marrying your best friend is all that matters. Congrats on your wedding
  • C
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Celeste ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm really glad I read this post! I just got engaged this month, and, knowing that a wedding planner is definitely not in the budget, I've already started the planning process even though we're aiming for August 2020. And already I'm seeing how easy it is to get caught up in the details and the anxiety of trying to make a massive perfect plan...but your post reminded me to just stop, breathe, and remember that we love each other -- the rest is just a party to celebrate that fact, and whatever it looks like, we're what will matter to each other by the end of it Smiley smile so, thank you, and congrats on your wedding -- all the best in your marriage!
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Okay this literally made me cry!! I felt so bad reading this but then when you said you didn’t care it just touched a heart string! I’m really glad you still enjoyed your day!!
  • Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No matter how much planning one does, there is always the chance that something unexpected will happen! However, the most important thing is how we perceive it. Is it a glass half full or a glass half empty? I'm glad that everything still worked out in the end and that you're happily married to your best friend! I take comfort knowing that I am not the only person who is planning a little in advance of their wedding. My wedding is one year away and my bridal party are telling me that I need to take it easy but I feel like there's so much to do!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wise words! It’s a good reminder of what is actually important that day! Glad you were able to overlook the problems and just be in the moment with your fiancé (then husband!) Congrats on your marriage!
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your new marriage Jessica, beautiful post, glad your shared your experience. Happy you had a perfect wedding day. Things will happen but as long as there is love and your fiance shows up, thats all that matters Smiley heart!

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations, i went to similar situation, my wedding was back in April during the fun winter storm we had in Toronto. I was so upset we had to cancel our outside photo's because frankly it was dangerous. But you are right as soon as i saw my fiance all was well. So i say again big Congrats, now the fun begins.

Smiley winking

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so glad that it all worked out for you and congrats on your marriage! It can be awful when things don't go the way you want it to, but it sounds like you remembered the reasons you chose the day in the first place.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on your wedding, and I’m so sorry things got so hard for awhile there. But your attitude towards the whole situation is amazing and inspiring! I think everyone can learn a huge lesson from you! You are now married and that is beautiful and amazing! Yay. I wish you and your husband a life time of happiness.
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats so great you have a plan! I had a bridesman too Smiley smile we had a falling out though a few months ago. Just take deep breaths and dont let everything bother you. Just wait until you see your fiance at the altar. Its an amazing feeling.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations, and sorry that you went through all of that! The end of what you said made me tear up as it worked out and you handled it so well.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You seriously just brought tears to my eyes at the end of your post. Absolutely beautiful!

And thank you - that's very reassuring. I'm a worrier by nature, and I am sure I will be stressing like crazy in the week leading up to, and on, our wedding day. My friend who is acting as our wedding coordinator (she used to be a wedding planner) has already told me she is taking my phone away from me. I made sure to pick friends in my bridal party who are good at keeping me calm - one of them is specifically for that. He (yup, I have a bridesman) is completely unflappable and will make sure to keep me calm and focused on the day of.

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much!! It was at the moment such a horrible experience. I cried so hard my makeup ran down my face. My sister fixed my makeup and we agreed to keep moving forward. As we drove to the site, my dad called my fiance and explained what happened. My fiance began texting me up to the moment the ceremony started giving me such beautiful words of encouragement. He was my rock and we agreed that all that mattered was we were married. Even our guests and my 5 year old nephew cried daying how beautiful it was.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Awe congratulations!!!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats! By the way, this is not at all what I was expecting for the end of your story - I am practically in happy tears and in awe of how everything bad that happened prior became so unimportant after you saw your fiance and got to marry him. Perfect wedding story.

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh wow. Good for you for pulling through and not calling it off. Great advice too. My wedding is somewhat weather dependent but just for photos.

Otherwise congratulations!!!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ok so I'm reading this at work and actually crying this was honestly so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing!
    I'm so sorry mother nature had a different plan for your wedding but the way you took everything is truly what's most important! I wish you both a long and loving marriage filled with many more rainstorms to remember your wedding day and giggle about it in the future! Smiley heart
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow! What a crazy turn of events and a great story! I am glad that you were so happy in the end.
    I have come to the conclusion that most weddings don't go as planned. We didn't receive half of the rentals we should have for our wedding so that made things interesting.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awwww! This made me tear up a little bit. I'm so sorry all of those things happened but I'm SO pumped it all worked out. Congrats, beautiful! Can't wait to see your photos.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on your wedding! Your happiness through it all, shows.
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im so happy this post helped you. I got caught up in all of the bad things, but in the end i forgot all about it. My husband tells me "rain on your wedding day is good luck" so i replied with "we must be damn lucky with how hard it rained"
    Just remember to take deep breaths.
    We bought clear umbrellas for photos and they worked so well.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for sharing this! My wedding is june 22 next year in the west coast, so the chances of rain are very, very real. I'm mentally preparing myself for rain but I really dont know how I will react until if and when it happens. I really needed to see this, you've honestly taken away a lot of anxiety about my wedding day that I didnt even know that I had.

Thank you, and I'm so glad you had a day to remember (both good and bad)
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for sharing this. I will keep that in mind, as I am planning for My Wedding in two years time as well.
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! I wanted to tell people my story because i spent 2 years planning the tiny details when in the end none of it mattered. All of that planning is wonderful but half my stuff wasnt even used due to the weather.
    I feel like people forget the meaning of marriage and the wedding.
    I married my best friend and we could not be happier to have had people still show up and show their support for us.
  • S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Love this post!!!
    thank you for sharing
    That truly is what your wedding is meant to be about. Forget all the details, the flowers, the food and weather. All that matters is marrying your true love.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its hard to beleive your day went bad and mother nature decided to do this to you. It would have been good for the cordinator to have the back up alert to you beforehand.

Overall, you overcame the bad obstackles and stood by your husband knowing he was there waiting for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics