Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Frequent user June 2019 Ontario

Non-homophobic officiants?

Hj, on September 23, 2017 at 18:18 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9

I never thought in 2017 it would be so incredibly difficult to find an officiant who will do a lesbian wedding. I've been to two wedding shows in my area in the past month and every single officiant in attendance was homophobic. Even this website is full of them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I had a friend recently get married (in another part of the country, so I can't use hers) and even though she's straight, she refused to work with homophobic officiants. I appreciated that from her so much.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Samtam, on September 25, 2017 at 13:07
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is so sad to hear! I would recommend Young, Hip and Married! We used them in Vancouver but they have officiants in Ontario as well. Our officiant, Shawn, was FANTASTIC! He made the ceremony so easy and stress free. We got to read his speech in advance and make any changes that we wanted. He also gave us a How To guide for writing our own vows and ran our rehearsal for us. They are so nice and professional and feel like a part of your family. /wedding-officiants/

They are definitely not homophobic and have done a lot of gay weddings. One of the things that made us want to work with them was how inclusive they are. If you look them up on FB or Instagram, you'll see photos from the weddings they've done. Here's a link to a recent lesbian wedding that our officiant did. https://www.facebook.com/younghipandmarried/posts/1814981325182996 Smiley heart

Young Hip and MarriedYoung Hip and Married

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked our officiant through All Seasons Weddings, and he does same sex wedding as well. I know a ton of them through All Seasons do it as well, but you can go in the read their bios, and it lets you know if they will do it, I believe most do. Good luck, I know you will find someone great!

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm straight and I wouldn't work with anyone who wouldn't do all weddings either. I'm glad your friend had your back! I found my officiant on kijiji.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Check with Paula daNova. She is our officiant. Very reasonably priced

($250.00 for our short and sweet version) and she has performed 6000 weddings already. She is very easy to talk to.

• H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I'll let you know if I find someone.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah definitely use “All Seasons Weddings”. THey have specific officiants that are okay with that. I got my officiant from there and she is amazing. It’s Canada wide so it shows where officiants can be found when You search your province! Super easy!
    Hope that helps!!!
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow I'm so sorry to hear that. You would think people would be more accepting in this day and age??
    I would recommend looking on All Seasons Weddings (you can Google it) most of the officiants I've seen on there seem to do all gendered weddings and most seem accepting. You just put in the information you are looking for (for example: religious or not, gay/lesbian wedding, etc) and it will bring up a list of available officiants. You can read a description of each officiant and speak with them over phone or email. We chose ours on that site and she is so sweet.
    I wish you good luck with your search and all your planning!!
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Would you be able to hire a Justice of the Peace to perform your wedding? They are employed by the court so they should be more open.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh my gosh that's terrible!! Hahah I want to laugh because of how ridiculous it is.
    I wish I could give you my officiants cuz they're totally open.. but I live in Alberta. I don't know anyone in Ontario so I can't recommend someone specifically. That's frustrating and overwhelming when you go to two wedding shows and no one there is open to officiating a lesbian wedding. There's got to be someone in that Ontario area who is open. There has to be. I know it's a hard feeling when it's been a bust so far but there will be someone out there.
    I found my officiant off this app so give that a go. Keep looking. There's someone you just haven't found it yet. Forget those wedding shows.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics