Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jodi
Frequent user September 2018 Alberta

No rehearsal?

Jodi, on February 27, 2018 at 17:19 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 23

Has anyone not had a rehearsal dinner? our wedding is out of town my MOH will have a newborn and my sister and dad works shiftwork. maybe something in the backyard? did you just wing it? did you have your officiant there? what is the point of this?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Jen, on February 28, 2018 at 16:05
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can't have a big Thunder Bay get together without persians!!

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think rehearsal dinners are completely unnecessary. It's not like the wedding is some big production - they just have to walk and stand. Organizing it can be accomplished in a 5 minute conversation. Ours took maybe 30 seconds "You walk first, and stand there; then you walk and stand there." Done!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're doing something very similar, with a small banquet hall in the hotel we are already in, don't want everyone getting stressed out just before the wedding. Love that you're having persians - a Thunder Bay staple!
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a great idea Candace - our venue doesn't charge for a rehearsal but our officiant does so I was wondering how we would organize without him but I'm sure we could get his outline and have someone stand in like you said. Thanks for that!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going to have a rehearsal mostly for the guys, every time we talk about the ceremony the best man gets confused and my groom is unsure how it will all flow so they need the rehearsal. Our officiant won't be there but the officiant doesn't really move so we will just have a friend standing in her place for the rehearsal.

read that having a rehearsal is recommended so if anyone is unsure and doesn't want to speak up it helps them and it can also calm nerves to have a quick run through of it.

y friend did the whole 20 min ceremony for her rehearsal and wore her wedding shoes but half way through had to take them off cause they were getting uncomfortable so she changed her wedding shoes lol
    So rehearsals can be beneficial
  • Jodi
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a good point. our venue is about an hour from town.. so im super on the fence about this - its hard to get everyone together.. our friends did their rehearsal two days prior so they could drink and not worry about the next day.

• Jodi
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We do have a wedding coordinator. and our officient charges for a rehearsal so we may just either discuss or have something small in our backyard if we can manage to round up the troops.

Thank You Smiley smile

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm slightly on the fence. I feel like we will have one (our venue includes a free rehearsal) but I wish we could get away without it. I will likely put out feelers with the wedding party and see what their thoughts are. I know the entire bridal party has been in a wedding but I'm not sure about the groomsmen.

I imagine if we have one, we'll just go to a pub after for drinks and munchies or have a backyard barbecue - the problem being there is our house is 25 minutes from the venue.

We won't do one the night before though because we tend to be a crowd of drinkers and I'd prefer everyone (myself included) be in good shape the next day. Maybe either the Sunday before or Thursday.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Rehearsing is definitely important but the rehearsal dinner is not super necessary. We are just having appetizers at my parents house after just to kill some time in the evening.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are honestly having the chillest rehearsal dinner ever. Our rehearsal and wedding will be at the hotel so we are renting out one of their small banquet rooms and having pizza, beer, and persians (pastries made in our city) with no dress code. Some of our wedding party won't be in until that day so we wanted something super low key so that they could relax.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm debating doing a rehearsal dinner or just rehearsal cocktails. Just so we're all on the same page the day of. We will see!

I think as long as you have a clear timeline that you've shared with those involved on the day, then you can skip the rehersal dinner.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a rehearsal to help with our nerves and whatnot. We are also having an out of town wedding, but we know all our parents will for sure make it and majority of the wedding party too. If you want to have one even if people will be missing you can just pretend they are there lol But it is totally not necessary to have one.
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can totally skip the rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner!

If you do have a ceremony rehearsal I think it's kind to have some sort of food and drinks provided afterwards as an extra thank you to your wedding party for taking another night just for the wedding - but it can be as simple as pizza and beer at someone's house!

If you have a wedding or ceremony coordinator who can help cue your wedding party during the ceremony then you really don't need a rehearsal. Otherwise it's pretty easy to talk through as well, just make sure everyone knows their order and timing! Smiley smile

Here's some more info you can check out about rehearsal dinners:

Everything You Need to Know About Rehearsal Dinners

How to Save Money on a Rehearsal Dinner

5 Creative Rehearsal Dinner Ideas
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are doing the same a rehearsal but no dinner, just a stressful time and we don't want yet another event we have to plan.

• Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a rehearsal but no dinner. I think doing the rehearsal is important, it helps the acutal wedding day run alot smoother when people have some sort of idea what they are suppised to be doing, and it only takes about a half hour.
    We are not doing the formal dinner afterwards. My parents have a banquet room reserved at the hotel we will go there for food and drinks and to visit with my fanily who is all from out of town. And i want to be in bed early and going out for a long dinner isnt going to let me.
  • doucette2thompson
    Curious August 2018 New Brunswick
    doucette2thompson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm on the fence about a dinner too...simply because well cost
  • Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing a rehearsal with the officiant but are on the fence about a dinner. Would really love to cut the added cost. Might just do something with the bridal party. I like the suggestion of drinks and appetizers!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. We are using the rehearsal to figure out timing for the music and so the children can be a little more comfortable the day of.

My friend didn't do a rehearsal and we were just told the morning of when to go (we waited until the person ahead of us got to a certain aisle and then went so we were evenly spaced) and also told where to stand at the front.

Personally, I like them because it seems to calm the nerves a bit since everyone knows exactly what to do.

The dinner I think is optional. You could even do it as a potluck to save money or have the rehearsal later and then just have drinks and appetizers after.

Also, every rehearsal I've been to has had the officiant there. I would just double check that it is included and they won't charge you extra for the extra time!

• Jodi
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like that idea. Its a very short ceremony for most and I feel its a pretty simple idea- walk and stand up there- smile Smiley smile bride walks in and stands by groom - both say vows... Voila

• Jodi
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hear you! everything wedding related is sooo expensive. I think its pretty straight forward and something we can discuss prior to the wedding as opposed to actually practicing. we can wing it without spending even more money.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't want one, but my mum was aghast that I wasn't going to do it.

The point of a rehearsal is to make sure that the bridal party knows whats going on that day and the timing for walking down the aisle. Seems insane to me to need a whole dinner to figure that out though!

We're going to invite people to our house for a BBQ. We live in a smaller town house so it'll be tight, but I don't care. I'm not shelling out another $1000+ on a dinner the evening before our wedding.

• Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pretty sure we're not having it. Almost everyone is from another country and it was pretty unknown for us anyways
    I'm from the Netherlands and apparently it isn't really a thing that actually exist over there? So if they can all do it over there I'm pretty sure we'll survive without. And we could use cutting some of the costs wherever is possible
  • Joyann
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Joyann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No we aren’t having a rehearsal dinner or rehearsal. Since our wedding is out of town, for out of town guests and family, we’re just planning to meet up at local pub the night before. We will mingle over drinks and have some basic food platters. Very relaxed and casual.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics