Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kiera
Newbie August 2019 British Columbia

No children wedding

Kiera, on June 11, 2019 at 16:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

We have chosen not to invite children to our wedding, with the exception of direct family members. Its turned out to be a pretty significant point of contention, and we've had some guests choose not to attend because of this. I mention this because one out of town guest has RSVPed for herself and her child (instead of her husband). Her baby is quite young (about 6 months) and I feel uncomfortable telling her she misunderstood, but also feel badly given that we've been quite strict with our other guests. Has anyone encountered anything similar? How did you handle it?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on June 12, 2019 at 12:54
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing the same thing! We'll only have a few kids that are immediate family. I feel like 6 months is an awkward age since some 6 month olds are exclusively breastfed (there's pumping, but not everyone pumps - to each their own) so moms want to be around 24/7 if they need to feed.

Personally, I would stand my ground on the no-kids rule - otherwise others will wonder why so-and-so got to bring their 6 month old, but I couldn't bring my 5 year old. She might change her RSVP to no, especially if she's breastfeeding, and it could cause tension, so just be aware if you go down this route. You could make an exception, but then you really should open it up to children under a year, which you may not want to do.

• Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Were doing the same thing. No kids except immediate family (of which the youngest is 14). Most people have been great about it saying how much they'll enjoy the date night, but we have had a few that questioned it. if you're close to the out of own guest I would just tell her shes made a mistake and misunderstood the invitation. If shes a guest your families closer with, I`d ask one of them to handle it. Either way, hopefully she understands and corrects the mistake. Goodluck!

• Machaila
    Beginner June 2019 Ontario
    Machaila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted a kid free wedding other than my son who is 2 and my nephew who is 9 months (they were both in the wedding) which both left before the night ended (obviously) and we had someone bring their child and didn’t even tell us. We had some people not go because we did not want children there. I would either say that due to the license or venue it was adults only, or just say due to numbers we decided to invite only adults, and sorry for any confusion. I’ve always been so confused on people wanting to bring their children to a wedding, being a mom myself that sounds like a nightmare 😂
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In this case I would say no to her. You put no kids. I get if the kid is newborn - but a 6 month old is not newborn (at least not to me). I know of at least one coworker of mine who had a baby in October and was back to work in December as her Fiancé took the Paternity Leave instead of her taking Maternity Leave. So 6 months is old enough to stay home IMO.

If you want you can let her bring her kid seeing as how he/she is under a year - but then I would say you are to let your other guests know that if they have a kid under the age of 1 that they are welcome to bring them.

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This can be a contentious issue. My cousin decided to have a kid-free wedding, which created a ton of tension among the family.

I would reach out to her and ask if her 6 month-old is exclusively breast feeding. If so, this might change things a little. (Not to say you have to allow the child. Just that it may shed some light on the situation.) It's your wedding, you've chosen for it to be child-free and that's ok. Considering you've been strict with other guests, I would say hold your boundaries here. Otherwise, you're opening the door to a host of people asking for accommodations for their child, or people being even more upset that you said no to them but yes to someone else.

My other cousin pointed out, after the uproar from one extended family member regarding the child-free wedding, "When did bringing your kids everywhere become a thing? I used to use weddings as a night off from the kids."

Hope it all works out!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have had people say you forgot our childrens names on the website, and I gave a reminder that we actually aren't doing a wedding with children... some became upset but we explained that this is something we have chosen not to do and can't make exceptions for some people as others will be hurt

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd play dumb and reach out to her and ask whether she mistyped the name of her husband. If she says 'no', then I'd remind her of the "kid-free" policy on the website/detail card/email/text message.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing the exact same. Only immediate family children are invited, which is basically our nieces and nephews.
    I have gotten some comments from family members that know we are doing this, But this is a night out for the couple. Very few people want to go to a wedding and have to take care of kids all night.
    If it is uncomfortable for you or your FH to address it, maybe have a family member explain it.
    If people have small children who can’t be away from mom for too long and they ask me, that’s different than just assuming they can bring their kids!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics