Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sapna
Beginner May 2019 Ontario

No cake

Sapna, on June 25, 2018 at 12:29 Posted in Wedding reception 0 24

So we've decided we're not having a cake at the wedding (we will have desserts though, my niece has begged for them!) Will the lack of a cake-cutting ceremony be noticed? Anything else we can do instead of the cake cutting?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Keri, on June 27, 2018 at 19:57
  • K
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Keri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not doing the cake cutting/feeding thing - and are really liking that interactive game where the bride & groom sit back to back & each take a shoe from each other. Someone asks a list of fun questions (eg “Who’s the messiest?” “Who said ‘I love you’ 1st?”) & the shoe raised is the person. It’s super fun!

Also doing a mix of pies, squares & cookies for dessert.
  • Kristina
    Beginner August 2019 Quebec
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing pie! I looooove pie! Have pie! Smiley tongue
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do cake.

We had pie and ice cream! Everyone loved it.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing no cake, lately I find a lot of the traditional things were done are not being done. EX: bouquet/garter toss, waiting to see each other the ceremony etc. I wouldn't worry about it

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went to a wedding a couple weekends ago and there was no cake. It wasn’t really noticed the evening still flowed well. I wouldn’t worry about it.
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My first wedding, we had the cake ... which was cut and mostly wasted (we took 2 entire layers home). Do what you feel. We are doing away with the cake and having a DIY s'mores station and DONUTS!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think anyone will notice! We will be having a cake but I dont think we will be doing a cake cutting ceremony! I didnt even want a cake, but hubby did so we compromised this way Smiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's not a big deal to have cake cutting if you widh to skip it. Things aren't the same as used to be back then and everyone does what they feel is best for them.

Feed each other other desserts then just for the pictures. Its your wedding and however the decision goes for you two will be fine.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the only people who will really notice the lack of cake cutting is the older generations like parents and grandparents.
    If you do something to replace it though it might draw more attention to the fact that you don't have a cake and aren't doing the cutting.
  • Alix
    Beginner September 2018 New Brunswick
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our caterer is going a bunch of little desserts so we won’t be doing a “cake cutting” We’re skipping out on a few “traditions” so I’m a little nervous about what people will
    be expecting, but i think it will be fine!
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting mini mousse cakes. So less waste and people can take leftovers home if they want.

I don't even know what cake cutting involves Smiley xd
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't been to many weddings, but I've never seen a cake cutting and was never served cake. Everyone had alternatives to it. I had a small cake to cut at the reception but we did it during the dancing so no one was really paying attention. Not sure why we had one haha, but I doubt it'll be missed by people.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a family member doing our cake for free but we won't be doing the cake cutting. I don't think people really care anymore, as long as they get something sweet after dinner lol
  • Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been to a few weddings and there was no cake-cutting ceremony, and honestly I only noticed a few days later as a "oh, we didn't have cake" type thing but during the wedding it was not missed, there was dessert and other food and dancing that our minds were occupied.

Personally, we're having mini-cheesecake tower with a cheesecake topper for cutting, mainly cuz I hate cake and we both love cheesecake. There will also be dessert with dinner in case some of our guests don't want to eat the cheesecake, in that case there's more for me to take home! hehe

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not having a cake and believe you can comfortably not replace it.

Announce the dessert, blasts the tunes and enjoy the rest of the evening!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I shouldn't be noticed - but for me and my FH we are getting a small little cake from the store to cut so we can still have the ceremony where I throw cake at him Smiley tongue I've heard of people cutting pie or any dessert in order to keep the ceremony in the wedding but it is by no means absolutely needed.

• K
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was just talking this same question over with my Partner and I think we are going the same route. He was kinda hesitant but we are trying to trim the fat from our budget. My theory the more traditional people will notice more modern won't, but I think i'm just going to go with my gut and not have a cake. But than I might have dessert has part of the catering, but it wont' be at an extra cost. I did suggest to my one friend for a replacement of her cake the champagne arm crossing your partner or you can pop the cork and toast with each other.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you aren't concerned about having a cake cutting. then it will be fine. for us. our venue includes desserts in their meal. so we are just getting a small 6 inch cake to cut because I really want the photos.
    I've been to a lot of weddings that didn't do cake at all.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not having cake is becoming more and more common so I don't think anyone will notice if you don't do a cake cutting. You also don't need to replace it with anything.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't do anything to replace it. Honestly, yes, some people will notice, but more importantly, not many people will care if you don't have it. Especially when they see there is no cake.

We are getting a small (4" and 6") 2 tier cake, top tier for saving, and bottom for cutting. It's barely enough to serve the bridal party, but we wanted the tradition. It's only costing us $42, and it's being done by the same bakery doing our mini cupcakes.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not doing cake either and not replacing it with anything. The last few weddings I was at, they didn’t even announce it was happening so people didn’t get to see it or take pictures. No one will notice that you don’t do it
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No it won’t be noticed. Many people don’t have cakes these days. I wouldn’t do anything in place of the cake cutting ceremony.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No one will notice. I don't think I've ever noticed the cake being cut at any wedding I've been to, even when they have them!

We aren't doing cake either.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have no advice on what to do instead of cake cutting, but I don't think anyone will notice it. Nowadays, I feel like it's absolutely fine to skip that tradition (fun fact: I've never witnessed a cake cutting at any wedding I've attended).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics