Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

New Signature

Stephanie, on January 30, 2019 at 16:49 Posted in Just married 0 41
One thing that I didn’t really consider was that when I changed my name, I would also be changing the way I sign my name! I went to get my new drivers license and when she said “sign here” I looked, saw my new name, and realized I hadn’t practiced signing my new name! I had written it out, but had never signed it!

Luckily, when I sign my name, I just do a series of lines/loops and my new last name is the same number of letters as my old last name so I didn’t have to change my signature since there are no distinguishable letters anyway.

Anyone else not think about this? Are you going to have drastically change your signature? Have you been practicing signing your new name?

41 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie-Marie, on March 22, 2019 at 12:47
  • S
    Newbie August 2020 Quebec
    Stephanie-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness I haven’t really thought about this! I guess I am going to have to throw signature practice into the wedding planning agenda!

• Nicole
    Newbie July 2019 British Columbia
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not a big fan of my current signature, so I'm kinda happy I get to change it. However I haven't practiced it yet...Luckily I have a few more months to get it right

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The new signature is the ONLY part about changing my last name that stresses me out! Practice makes perfect Smiley smile

• M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only thought about this 3 months before my wedding, since that's the earliest we can get a marriage license and I'll have to sign my new name on the marriage certificate. I think it would be best to play with some options beforehand. Usually the first few don't look right (or it looks amazing, but then you can't duplicate it, haha!). Good luck!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've thought about this and practiced a new signature at one point, but I'll have to brush up on it before I change my last name officially.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine is changing huge.. I'm going from 5 letters to 11.

I haven't really come up with a new signature yet.

• Sonya
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Sonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness I haven’t really thought about this! It’ll be nice going from a hyphenated name to a single name but will definitely take practice!

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was excited about changing my signature with my new name. My old name had sharp letters where my new name has a lot of loops that match my first name. It looks good together now Smiley smile

• Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am hyphenating my last name to include his. Not a good signature flow so far and it feels very strange when I practice. However, I intend to master it sometime between now and July. Best of luck to all of you soon to be married folks!

• Tanya
    Beginner November 2020 Alberta
    Tanya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg I’ve had this exact thing on my mind for a while now lol. Every time I sign my name I think
    ”huh..my signature will be changing soon”
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband took my last name and said his new name quite a few times. He also went about signing his new name to get a feel for it. He was prepared when it came to signing the license.

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

After reading this yesterday I did the new Signature mmm it's only today I am getting alittle be used to it. lol

• Chey Marie
    Beginner October 2020 Alberta
    Chey Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I started using a new signature after I got engaged. I spent a little while messing around with what my signature would look like after marriage and didn't like them 🤣 so I started playing with my first name and middle. I now have a signature I've been using that mixes those two instead of my last name.
  • Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's going to be a little different then what I am used too. It was DMM and now it will be DMW it's not easy, since now I never really thought about it.

• K
    Frequent user August 2024 Quebec
    Karine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In Quebec you can't change your name, unless there is a life threatening reason or something... so that won't be a problem for me Smiley xd
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm dreading changing my signature since mines so easy (I just scribble my initials and that's it lol).

• Summer
    Devoted May 2019 Ontario
    Summer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My last name will change from John to Primeaux. It’s going to be a big change. Especially because I am a teacher and my kindergartens won’t understand why lol
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to literally sit in my office later and start practicing... haha. I haven't signed my new name yet, but I also never really perfected my maiden name signature anyways (looked like a child's signature lol)...

Hopefully I can figure it out, and won't mess up too many signatures with accidentally doing my old one...

• C
    Newbie May 2019 Ontario
    Caroline ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your legal signature does not have to change to match your last name. I found that out recently which is helpful to me.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been practicing mine for sure! My last name is changing from pollard to wasylowich, so I definitely had some work to do with it. I'm getting the hang of my mee signature now though!
  • Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same here! I'm going from an Allen to a Yates, and my name flows really well with my maiden name but haven't tried with my soon to be last name lol!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Actually feel relieved that I'm not the only one struggling with this hahahaha

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c577f5c7233386659

I have yet to 'master' my new signature - Glad I still have some time to practice!

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Luckily, our surnames are the same length so it won't be a huge adjustment for me. The bad news is I'm not gifted when it comes to cursive, and I'd have to change the first letter from B to S, and I can never sign a proper looking S... so I'm going to be practicing a lot.

• Olivia
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine new last name will be SUPER different, so I've been practicing!

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hadn’t thought much about the signature, I did write it out before. I will need to practice this, I have a quick signature but my letter’s are easy enough to ready. I will get practicing!!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be changing my signature and I have been practicing my future signature a lot. I think I like my future signature better since the last name is shorter so the letters are more defined

• K
    Beginner November 2019 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I sign a ton of things for work - I worked out a signature pretty much right after we got engaged!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For sure looking forward to this! I am going from a 7 letter last name to a 4 letter last name. Kamfoly > Doll

I've been practising but it's going to take some getting used to because I usually start the K of with a little tick and if I can't do that with the D because of the loop at the top... I mean I can, but then it looks like the letter D is wearing a straw hat...

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's going to take some getting used to, and I already get teased for not having a quick scrawl signature like most folks, but maybe this is my chance!

• Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve actually been practicing mine, trying to see what I like. I worry it’s too legible/neat though lol. I always wanted a fancier looking signature but every time I do it, it comes out the same basic way.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This has never crossed my mind... hahah! thanks for the heads up!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have started to practice a bit. I’m going from a 4 letter last name to an 8 letter one lol. I have 4 kids, so I sign my name and my initials multiple times in a day haha it will be tough to get used to

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics