Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Genna
Curious July 2022 British Columbia

Negotiate for lower venue pricing or leave it alone?

Genna, on February 11, 2020 at 20:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
So I got a quote from a place that we really like for a wedding venue but we are hoping to spend little less than what they are quoting. Is this something that is really frowned upon? If not how do you go about it without insulting the venue? this venue has included a quote for food and beverage lodging and the reception and ceremony area. By lodging I mean only for husband and I and wedding party

9 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on February 18, 2020 at 16:55
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I negotiated EVERY vendor. and we also asked for a payment plan (monthly payments) so that way when our wedding comes we have less that we owe the month before!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends. If the high quote is simply the final dollar value based on what they're offering, absolutely ask to see what they can do for you. If the quote is based on their minimum spend, then it's likely a battle you won't win. Minimum costs are put in because of their demand. They have other parties willing to spend and won't lose out on it for your party who's not.

My experience with venues of all grades is that everything they've presented is not set in stone but rather a guideline. Don't like their meal packages? Build your own via an ala carte menu. Per head cost is too high? Replace or remove an item to bring it down. I have not encountered a single venue where some kind of customization is not allowed.

There will be some set hard costs that venues won't budge on such as alcohol pricing, corkage fee, labour fees, SOCAN etc.

• K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely discuss it with them!! We saved thousands at our venue by doing this, and we got a more preferred time (we just had to be a bit flexible). It’s always worth a shot!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Venues has a solid price that can't be brought down at any point. Its the saying take it or leave it for the couple to decide if the budget works to get that venue.

Keep looking around other places which doesn't hurt to know you can get everything you want plus lodging for all your guests. Inquiring about their packages lowering the cost by taking out something that isn't needed may help if they can adjust it.

• Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it hurts to ask or at least have the discussion about your budget. I think as long as you're not aggressive about it, they shouldn't get offended.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For sure worth asking! Like the others said, ask about scaling back on things - but also ask about if they have any deals for say Friday weddings, or "off-season" weddings (if you are willing to move your date out of the summer that is)?

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the prior comments - see if you can cut something out of the package or save cost elsewhere. I don't think negotiating a lower price with the venue will go over well. I imagine they have their set prices and that is that.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe try what Amelia’s suggested and try to cut some things. You could phrase it as “unfortunately this is our budget, but we’re really taken with this venue. Is there adjustments we can make to make it more affordable?”
    I’d look at cutting something else in your budget instead first though if it’s possible. If it’s a huge gap, you may have to cut your losses
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like to ask myself if I would be heartbroken if I ticked these people off and lost them as a vendor before I try to haggle.

If you have a different number in mind you could mention that and ask if anything can be scaled back (maybe a toonie bar instead of an open bar for example) to make it better for your ideal budget. I would be very wary of asking for a discount without changing the level of service provided.
    And how far above your ideal budget is it? I would weigh the risk of losing a vendor over asking for a few hundred dollars difference that you might be able to make up for somewhere else in the budget.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics