Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andie
Expert May 2019 Ontario

Need Appetizers?

Andie, on April 18, 2018 at 18:36 Posted in Wedding reception 0 23
My FH and I will be having a cocktail hour likely between the hours of 4-6ish (still haven’t figured out the darn day-of schedule), and was wondering if we should have appetizers or if we could forgo them, as they’re pretty pricey at our venue. We would be getting married probably between 2-3, and it takes roughly 45 mins to get to each venue. Let me know what you think!

23 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 3, 2018 at 00:11
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Tje apps for cocktail hour is a good idea though at the cost the venue is charging you? Select 2 if that would work and the pricing to go with it.

Some venues include it in their package.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am doing cocktail hour and then no apps! We are also doing a dinner buffet tho and will have breads and salads at each table before the buffet opens? Cocktail hour is served butler style! And then the buffet will be a variety of foods!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are skipping the cocktail hour snacks! It's just another way for them to make money off you! Honestly, it never used to be a thing! Unless that was just my family that didn't do it!

In a normal day, I eat lunch at 12:30 and supper at 6, rarely do I snack in the afternoon so why would this day be any different? If guests get really hungry, there is a cafe nearby!

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would totally do the same but were not allowed to have outside food Smiley sad

• Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be going to Costco for some finger foods for the cocktail hour
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do Apps. People are going to be hungry Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with Erin. If there’s an open bar, you have to be providing food to your guests.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Really depends on your schedule. We are not, but our ceremony is at 3:30, cocktail hour is at 5, dinner is being served at 6:15. Our guests can go 2 hours and 45 minutes without eating...however, if there's more than a 3.5-4 hour break between the start of your ceremony and when dinner will be served, I would HIGHLY recommend having something for your guests. Most people will need a little something in that timeframe.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha well definitely have appetizers if it is an open bar.

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, we're paying for an open bar so might as well get the most use out of it as possible, lol!

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, good thinking! We are also having an open bar so I figured people would probably need something so they aren't drinking on an empty stomach!

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When we picked our hors d'oeuvres I specifically chose things that would be filling - pastries, meats, rice etc. This is so A. Less is More (not as many would be needed) and B. It would fill people up before our OPEN bar!

I would say if you can find a few solid choices you won't need as much variety.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agreed! No need for people to be drunk before dinner.

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was my main concern: drinking on an empty stomach!

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They aren't necessary but it may be a good idea to have a few so that people aren't drinking on empty stomachs or waiting too long for dinner.

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s kind of what I thought too, it’s not good to offer alcohol with no food!
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    As a guest, I would probably be hungry!
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Very true!
  • I
    Newbie August 2018 Washington
    Isabelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree! Especially if your ceremony is around 2. I think it is important to keep your guest happy and have some apps for them in case they are hungry( Im sure some will be hungry!)
  • Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it’s within budget, I’d say go for apps. Hungry guests can lead to grumpy guests, especially if dinner is delayed for any reason. I was at a wedding a few years ago and with speeches, late start, etc we didn’t eat until nearly nine and everyone was getting a bit hangry. Haha
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would suggest apps too. The weddings I've been to all offer something during cocktails to go with the drinks. But if it's out of your budget then I'm sure the drinks are fine. It would just be gesture your guests would appreciate. Maybe even cheese and crackers platters? We are even bringing in traditional cultural foods (with permission from our venue). So it might be cheaper going to other options.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The weddings I’ve gone to didn’t have appetizers, it’s not common in my area so I would say you could skip them but that’s just what I’m used to!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd suggest getting some. Otherwise you may have guests leaving to go eat and that won't make much of a good impression on them. They definitely are not necessary so if you really don't want to then don't bother. We have a similar situation but we decided to get appetizers as a courtesy thing for our guests since we will be leaving them for a bit to do photos, might as well snack lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics