Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Terri
Beginner June 2019 New Brunswick

Need a Dress!!

Terri, on May 18, 2019 at 19:22 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 12
I had a dress made and went to try it on yesterday and I hate it!!! It's nothing like the pictures I showed the seamstress. I'm freaking out now cause I have 6 weeks and almost no money left to get a new dress. Any ideas would be appreciated

12 Comments

Latest activity by Shla, on June 18, 2019 at 21:51
  • Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ohh my. Not close at all! Did you find a new one?!
  • Terri
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is the dress I showed the seamstress vs the dress I received

Need a Dress!! 1

Need a Dress!! 2
  • Sheena
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Facebook market place!! So many people selling wedding dresses now (and really nice ones) for cheap. Last week I was looking and there were lots in the $100-$350 dollar range. Also check consignment vintage stores! Any of your married friend have dresses that you like? Ask if you can buy/borrow theirs. Used is great especially considering almost every married woman has a dress and they are most likely only used once.

If you ask around you may be surprised how generous the ladies around you will be. My wedding is 9 weeks away and my FH's aunt found out that I'm making my dress. Time is running out and so she offered me hers. I've only known her for less than a year.

• Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh Girl I feel your pain loud and clear!! I too went yesterday to try on my dress and LOATHE it. I am having s few other things changed on it so really hoping that will improve my outlook. I too, don't have much of budget remaining for a new dress. I see a bunch of lovelies have already offered some advice and options. I will just say, I know what a struggle it is when you have a vision and it doesn't turn out. I will hope for you that your seamstress can fix it or another one can help make it into something you can like (or even love). I was really distressed yesterday, but I called mt girl friends and they said they would do whatever they could to help me bling it up or make some changes to suit me better. I am trying to be positive, but it is hard.

I do love the trash the dress idea if you aren't completely in love with it at the end. I am sure you will be beautiful on your wedding day regardless of whether your dress is perfect to you or not. Best of luck! Feel free to post a picture the next time and maybe all these awesome brides will have some opinions on how to make the"look" more fantastic. Maybe you need some wicked shoes and some killer jewels!

• M
    Beginner June 2019 Quebec
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m sorry to hear this! I’m experiencing something similar and know how stressful it can be to have no idea what you’re walking down the aisle in only weeks before your wedding

the original seamstress botched my dress (and stained it!!) so I took it to a new one. I was fortunate enough that she didn’t charge me a lot for the new alterations - maybe you can try to find someone new to readjust?

Most importantly though, your fiancé loves you and you get to marry him - whether you’re in an ugly dress or not that’s still very exciting. If you don’t get a chance to get it looking the way you want then maybe you can try to think of it as a funny story? And then after the wedding you can have one of those “trash the dress” photo shoots and it will be all the more meaningful

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh, that is awful. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

Since you're approximately 6 weeks away, I think your only options are to either buy a dress off the rack or alter your existing dress to turn it into something you hate less. I know it's difficult since you won't be wearing the dress of your dreams, but at least you might be wearing a dress you sort-of like.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Was this person experienced and you saw her work prior? I would see if she will give your money back. Did she see any of your concerns? Also, call local places for sample sales. Then if you can go to sample sale and find something this is best bet!

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh no!!! I am so sorry to hear that happened. Like Sarah said look at any places that sell cheap wedding dresses. Good luck love!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would call your seamstress and let her know your concerns and see what she can do for you in 6 weeks!
  • Terri
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's not the fabric I wanted, the neckline is not right and just looks weird, there's ruffles in the sleeves (think 80's prom dress) and the skirt was suppose to be all layers with trim but she only did two layers and made them into points. I've been thinking of how it could be altered as that would hopefully be cheaper then a whole new dress so I'll probably get the layers removed and have a plain skirt, not what I wanted but not too bad..... I just have no ideas for the top as I hate the silly/shiny material
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is there something in particular you don’t like about it?

can you change something about it to make you like it?
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh no!!! You could always look online for a used one? There’s websites like preowndweddingdress.com, Facebook market place, buy and sells, kijiji etc. Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics