Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashley
Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia

Natural or bold make up?

Ashley, on March 7, 2018 at 23:19 Posted in Beauty 0 12

Hey Girls!
I don't wear a lot of make up everyday so i'm looking for advice on how I would like my make up done for our wedding in August. I was thinking of doing a smokey eye then lighter on the face make up.

Any kind of brand that you would recommend over another? ie eyeliner, long lasting lipstick etc..

I will definitely cry a lot that day so I'm not sure if there is a product that someone has put it to the cry test? I would be very interested in this! Lol

Thanks in advance!

-Ashley Smiley laugh

12 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on March 9, 2018 at 14:32
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome! Glad you had a good trial!

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oooh! I'm doing a bold lip too! Fuchsia pink and a neutral glittery eye! Make up at my trial was a bit more then I wear bit still looked natural will be good for pictures
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going with a smokey eye and natural cheeks. Lips will be fairly natural but I do want *some* colour.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm definitely going bolder than I normally would but only with certain aspects. I don't generally wear products like foundation or concealer because of my freckles and I will likely keep it that way except maybe something to keep the sheen off or a blush. I don't ever wear lipstick so I will be keeping that nude/light as well. Where I will get a little dramatic will definitely be my eyes because I want them to stand out in photos. I'm not talking dark colours, heavy eyeliner etc but more of an intense smokey eye in shades of purple (compliments my eye colour). For myself, I find that when I think I'm putting on a lot of eyeshadow, it still doesn't show up heavy in pictures.

I was in a wedding last year and when we had our makeup done the MUA started off a little lighter and kept asking whether I wanted a bit darker and I really liked that she was constantly looking for what I wanted. To test it we took a few photos to see how it would film and determined from there. I still look back on that day as the best I've ever looked/felt and so when I got engaged I booked that same MUA right away.

Another suggestion is not to just bring a picture of makeup you like, but try to find one with someone who has similar features and tone (in my case I brought close up I liked of Emma Stone - reddish hair, freckles and green eyes) and have them recreate the look.

I also highly recommend falsh lashes (the QUO brand from Shoppers are fantastic and natural looking), just make sure someone has spare glue in your bridal party bags in case there's a loose edge.

If you can get a makeup trial - bonus!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely go with natural. Especially if you don't wear a lot of makeup on a daily basis. On your wedding day you want to look like yourself, just amped up a little.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like natural make up, especially if you don't wear a lot in general. Are you doing this yourself, or through a make up artist? if you go with an artist they'll use their own brands so I wouldn't worry too much. They also factor in that you'll be crying and try and make sure nothing runs!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say natural with maybe a bold element. I don't wear makeup every day so I wanted something more natural (don't want people not to recognize me lol) and a bold red lip to go with the colour scheme.

• Angel
    Newbie November 2018 Ontario
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Natural!! You may not like bold make up later in life and you want to look back and love your photos also I find most partners want you to look like yourself!
  • Christine
    Curious July 2020 New Brunswick
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is something I really have to think about. Some days I don't wear any makeup, other days, I do just foundation and mascara, and others, I do everything including contouring. I am thinking of trying different looks, with my dress on, and taking pictures to see what I like best.
    I am an eyelash extension technician, so I will probably get my eyelashes done. Anyone thinking about getting eyelash extensions for your wedding, I absolutely recommend getting them done a few weeks early, because there are different glues we can use, and also I would recommend going with lashes that have a matt finish, and not shiny. Also, some eyelash technicians do bottom eyelash extensions, if you don't have a lot of eyelashes on your lower lashes, this can also be similar to wearing mascara, but it won't run.
  • Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say go with a more natural look if you usually don’t wear much makeup. Even the Smokey eye with the face make up being on the lighter side, is a great idea. You still wanna look like you, and feel comfortable and beautiful Smiley smile can never go wrong with a Smokey eye ! I’m currently looking into waterproof liner and mascara.. I’ll be crying a ton too!
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m going more natural - I don’t want to look too different than how I do normally! I’ll be getting lash extensions (if you do this, try them before your wedding to make sure you don’t react to adhesive!) I love them I get them often, and they are 100% cry proof (thank god).

Lipsticks - I like lip stains since I touch my lips a lot and will probably mess it up if I wear regular! I like Sephora and Nars stains.

Are you having a makeup trial?
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm going for a very natural look. Mostly nudes and softer tones, I also don't wear much makeup on the regular so I don't want to change much. For face makeup I'd suggest more just because it'll help with pictures. And for the crying I am 100% with you on that and I've been told to look into either lash extensions or false lashes instead of mascara. Drug store will be your best bet for every, you get great quality still and it's more affordable. For eyeliner whatever you're comfortable with really, lipstick I don't wear often now but maybe buy a few different brands and test them all out. But as for he mascara I am of no help lol still figuring that out myself!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics