Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Danielle
Curious July 2019 Ontario

Nails?!?

Danielle, on June 10, 2019 at 21:22 Posted in Beauty 0 9
Looking for any tips. Wedding is a month away and anxiety is starting to brew. The problem is I chew my nails when anxious and even get to the point of peeling off skin (to the point they bleed). Terrible and pretty disgusting I know - I just don’t realize I’m doing it until it’s too late. I’ve still got time to turn them around but any tips to speed up the healing and growth? It’s one day I’d prefer to have prettier nails! I am getting manicure the week of but if I go and they’re like they are at the moment they’ll be super sore after!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Danielle, on June 12, 2019 at 14:10
  • Danielle
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Lots of great options and I think I will aim to do a set now as it will keep me from them plus it’s a good excuse to pamper myself. Have been keeping coconut oil on them which has also been excellent. And started chewing gum while driving which is usually where I destroy them. Thanks again for your suggestions and support!
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A friend or of mine has the same problem, which I only found out after I complimented her on her fake nails. She just had drug store fake nails (put them on herself) in order to let her nails heal for a bit and she was like "I don't do it when I got these on" Maybe that's an idea?
  • Cassy
    Newbie February 2023 Ontario
    Cassy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep in mìnd that dip nails you can't get a refill like I believe you can with most gel nails. So if you get dip nails now to stop biting for the wedding you will need a whole new set come wedding week (like Bianca said they grow fast with dip!)
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used to be notorious for biting hangnails around my nails but since I got gel extensions, I can't anymore since my nails are thicker! They do last 3+ weeks so they could even help with long-term biting.

You could also look into fidget spinners and dried fruit/gum like Tori suggested, I became a chronic gum chewer to stop chewing pens lol There is also bitterants you can get for your nails to stop biting.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe you could find something to do with your hands instead? Like a fidget spinner? Or perhaps you could carry around some dried fruit to chew on that would occupy your teeth?

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do what I did! I have very thin nails so I went with gel extensions! They were amazing and now 3 weeks after the wedding they're still going strong haha! And I find the added thickness of the nail from the gel helped me to stop biting? I think because they felt different I realized sooner I was biting and stopped. Honestly the gel extensions are amazing! I wouldnt have done anything else!

Nails?!? 1
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, polish can help a lot to deter biting, and there's products like Sally Hansen's Nailgrowth Miracle. As a last resort, you can do what many brides do and go for acrylics - they cut your natural nails down pretty far before applying them, so you don't need much as a base!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I second what Bianca said! Dip is my new favourite, and the only thing I can do to my nails without them breaking!
    Get some good cuticle oil to keep your nails and cuticles moisturized. It will help with any dry skin around your nails that you might pick. If you put it on twice a day your nails will be beautiful for your wedding!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd suggest trying out dip nail polish. I used to bite my nails and peel my nail polish off, but with this stuff, they're staying put very well (and growing like crazy).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics