Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tasha
Curious April 2019 Alberta

My coworker (who neither me nor my fiance like) thinks him and his wife are going to be invited to the wedding?

Tasha, on August 23, 2018 at 15:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

I'm not sure how to handle this. He's a nice enough guy, but my fiance and I had dinner with him and his wife, and after sitting and chatting with the two of them for a bit, we realized that we really don't care for them. However, he's my coworker, so I can't exactly shut him out or never see him again. He's excited for my fiance and I to be getting married, and has even said he's going to bring back an expensive bottle of liquor from his vacation for us and that we should consider it a wedding present, but not once have I ever said or even implied that he will be coming to the wedding... I don't want to tell him that he's not invited because I don't want to make things awkward or hostile at work, but I don't know if I really feel right accepting a gift from him. Anybody else been in this situation, and have a suggestion on how to handle it?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Leanna, on August 31, 2018 at 14:45
  • Leanna
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Leanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This sounds like maybe he just wanted to give you a gift and doesn't necessarily think that he's invited? I know personally that girls from my work are planning on throwing me a work shower, but none of them are invited. Don't feel bad accepting gifts from people who aren't invited - it's not like you asked them for it, it's their choice. Don't bring up your guest list unless he does - speaking from personal experience I told them "due to budget constraints we decided to no invite co-workers". Good luck!

• Tiffany
    Beginner August 2019 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would tell him that you are tight on budget and/or you are having a small wedding (list is full). It is better to tell him sooner than later, even more so considering how excited he is about your special date. I recommend breaking the news to him outside of work, when the two of you are alone. Reassure him that there are no hard feelings and you are grateful for keeping you in mind in terms of returning from vacation with a present.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If the topic comes up, say offense but we decided co workers aren't invited. Hope you can understand my position.

The bottle of liquor is just a gesture ftom them to you and say Thank You and we really appreciate it.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would just leave it. Dont tell him he is or isnt invited and if he happens to bring it up just mention you're really sorry but due to a tight budget you guys have decided not to invite coworkers. No one should ever ASSUME they're invited to a wedding its honestly just rude and selfish.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was able to invite 2 ladies from work, but already I'm realizing that there is going to be an awkward divide of "why them and not me" kind of vibe.

I would say the best option is to state that you've had to keep the guest list concise, and if either of you start inviting colleagues, the guest list grows very quickly.

Honestly, they should be the one feeling awkward, not you, they assumed they were invited to a wedding without a direct request or invitation.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this. I'd politely tell him that you're keeping the guest list tight. The sooner you tell him, the easier for you as he'll stop anticipating it (and besides, he may feel worse that you hadn't told him sooner if you put it off).

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yikes I hate when people assume they’re invited! Honestly I would just tell him that you really appreciate how excited he is for you but unfortunately your guest list was too big to begin with and you really didn’t have the room to have coworkers on the list. It’s a simple excuse that makes a lot of sense. He’ll likely be a little upset at first but he shouldn’t take it personally.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would plead the 5th... If you never mentioned that he is invited then I would just assume that him buying you something is a nice gesture.

The way I look at it is: would I do that for one of my coworkers if I wasn't invited to the wedding? Yes.... I would actually. It's just a nice little something. Then again my work does potlucks and everyone chips in so to buy a present on the side isn't completely unheard of.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics