Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stacy
Curious August 2019 Ontario

Music for reception

Stacy, on April 9, 2018 at 19:51 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10
Our venue comes with a choice of a house band. I'm ok with having a band do some songs but I really want a dj ! Is it too much to have both ??

10 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on April 13, 2018 at 10:53
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say if your budget allows it then have both if that is what you want.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you can have both, if budget allows! Bands need a break or even having the DJ for the dance. Some bands are good at playing dance music, but most of the time DJs are better for the dance.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Budget would be my main concern, but I think it is logistically do able.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen it done before and it worked out fine. Like most of the others have said, your budget will determine if this is a real possibility for you.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have both. We used a three piece string band for our ceremony and then a DJ for the reception. All together we are paying just over $1000 for the two.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Jessica, I think your budget will help decide if you have both. Having a band is great and it lends a certain kind of energy but somethings that we were told when picking between bands or DJs is to consider how long they will be there for. If the band is there for more than 5 hours their voices will be sore and they will be tired. Also bands usually don't allow song requests because they may not know the song (some take requests in advance so they can practice but guests usually request the night of).
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say cost would probably determine that. I like the idea of a band for cocktail hour and during dinner, and switching to a DJ for the dance portion, but that would be a budget buster for sure. If you can afford it, I'd say go for it, otherwise, choose one over the other!

• Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was originally looking at a venue that offers a house band. The band is a very cool idea, since i love going to concerts it would really reflect my personality at the wedding. The venue offered the option of band, dj, or band & dj but they said those who got both dj & band felt that they did not feel they utilized the dj enough.

So far in my band entertainment search I have found that many of the band's offer reception music during their live entertainment breaks. Maybe that could be an option for you to replace a dj?

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would just have the band play as people arrive and during dinner. Then during speeches they can pack up and the DJ can come in and set up and have the DJ for the rest of the night.
  • Christine
    Curious September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could always have the house band play whilr people come in and before and after the meal then have the DJ for the dance I think that would be nice but if you have to pay extra for the band I'd just stick with one and it sounds like you'd rather the DJ

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics