Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Madisyn
Expert February 2020 Ontario

Mother and son dance song (weird?)

Madisyn, on January 27, 2020 at 14:33 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
My FMIL is currently trying to find the song for her and my FH to dance to. I can't help but feel like all of the songs she picks are overly "romantic" and too intimate... I also feel like the song should be about my FH, and not about a deep love for his mother. The song for my Dad and I is about how he was the man that loved me first, but how he's so happy I found love and the man he dreamed of for me. It fits our parent/child relationship and acknowledges the wedding.

Am I totally out of line for thinking the song should be about my FH, and not my FMIL? What song have you chosen, and why?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Marley, on February 7, 2020 at 12:07
  • Marley
    Beginner May 2019 Alberta
    Marley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and his mom danced to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" Smiley smile

• Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree that it's weird that she is picking out really intimate songs to dance with her son too. I mean my father/daughter song is a song about raising me, watching me grow, and the giving me away at my wedding. However, the song that my FH and FMIL is one of their favorites, "Fishing in the Dark". My FH isn't about mushy songs but was wanting something that brought back good memories for them.

• Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like Sly and the Family stone, we are family, then have them start to dance and get everyone else in the family up...it's a fun way to do it.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FMIL didn't want to pick the song, so it will be landing on my FH. My dad chose a very untraditional song for our dance, "You got a friend in me" from toy story lol, it isn't what I would go with but it was his choice and he did put a lot of thought in it and said it feels much like our relationship, after he explained it it got to me a lot more listening to the lyrics lol. So maybe you should ask her what she wants the song to say about their relationship

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ultimately, it is up to FH and FMIL what song they choose, but maybe offer suggestions (that aren't to overly romantic). Also, the point of the mother/son dance is to honour their love and relationship, so as long as they agree on a song, they'll enjoy that moment.

We didn't do a typical mother/son dance. My dad and I started dancing to Rod Stewart's Forever Young and my DH asked my mom to dance after the first verse and chorus. About halfway through FIL and his girlfriend joined in, as well as my grandma and brother. So it turned into more of a "family dance" lol

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Super weird - but at the same time clearly these songs are a thing.... I agree that as long as your FMIL and your FH are okay with it then just keep to yourself Smiley atonished Maybe you could suggest some songs to them though? Maybe they will LOVE one that you suggest! The song that my DH and my MIL (as well as me and my Dad) danced to was Slow Down by Nichole Nordeman and I think it was perfect Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A song reflects how you see the relationship and meaning of it. We did have Mother/Sons dance as it was meaningful and memorable as A Mothers song by Jim Brickman had beautiful lyrics and words for our wedding.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh thats so weird lol. i would make a joke to her about it being a romantic song. or you could have your FH pick out a song and take that to her?

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's a little weird, but if it makes her happy and your FH is ok with it I would let her have it.
    You can always throw a few suggestions in too, it might help her see that her songs are a little too romantic.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know the feeling! FMIL kept sending me links for potential wedding spots that were just way outside of our price range or just weren't us, and I just had to be like "ok look...I appreciate how involved and helpful you want to be but it's just not the aesthetic we're looking for." Fortunately FMIL is like a second mom to me already so she's easy to talk to.

But yeah, as for the dance it's for sure more for her and if your FH is anything like mine with his mom he won't even hear the music, he'll just enjoy the moment with his mom Smiley heart

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    She's been difficult through most of the wedding process so I think I'm feeling challenged to just do what makes her happy, but you're totally right. I'll have to try not to care what song she chooses. Thank you!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure she just wants you to be on board with her choice. I would just stay neutral and reply with "whatever you decide will be perfect!", even if that's not how you really feel.

As long as your FMIL and FH are happy - I think thats all that matters.

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've tried to say it's up to them and she keeps sending them to me. It's hard not to have an opinion! Lol.
    The dance is probably more for her, you're right. Thanks!
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm with Kelsie, it's really up to them. But FMIL has asked me for some suggestions any how and I thought The Perfect Fan by Backstreet Boys is actually perfect for them and the kind of relationship that they have. She's just not sure about the BSB partXD that's the one and only suggestion they're getting from me, and FH really would be happy with whatever she chooses and won't read too much into any song as long as she's happy.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've left that up to my FMIL and FH.

She's picked some sort of country song (FH hates country) but he doesn't really care because he feels the dance is more for her than him so he just wants her to be happy with her choice.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics