Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maria
Beginner September 2021 Ontario

Minimony - thoughts on itinerary

Maria, on May 14, 2021 at 10:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10

Hey Guys,

COVID has made wedding planning a lot of fun Smiley sad - but while trying to make the best out of a bad situation - I have had 100 different plans and I need outsider opinions.

Long story short, the venue we love, cannot give us the area we want bc it's a restaurant in a hotel and during their non-winter season they don't rent it out, they have other spots on site - but then the price goes up and I do not want to wait until November or pay more money.

So, my SO and I were talking about an elopement style day. So we'd wake up, get ready, first look, photos, ceremony, more photos, first dance (in the ceremony space), cake & champagne. This is not a set in stone itinerary - as we may add cocktails between more photos and the first dance. But then that is it. The day is done.

I was wondering - is this a waste of a day for everyone? Like our party will stay the night before and get ready with us - potentially our parents as well or they'll head on over in the morning. It'll be over probably before 5 pm (still working with the venue to see times and etc) but it'll be on a Sunday, Monday (or holiday Monday)

I know, "it's my day do what I want" but at the same time... I want my guests to enjoy themselves and not think "ugh what a waste of a day" (Also guests are 11 immediate family members & 7 close friends [including bridal party].

Because the way we were doing it before was the same, but after the ceremony, it went to cocktails and dinner, and done and out by 10 pm. Which, as a "party person" is so sad and feels depressing as a wedding. So I'd still like to have some .... fun.. or at least have it in such a way that there is enjoyment, happiness, and love, and there isn't anyone with a face...

Im open to everyone's opinion on this. Any suggestions or thoughts would really help me gauge how we should move forward.

Thank you all! Smiley heart

10 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 25, 2021 at 14:18
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your day is a special occasion to celebrate your new chapter as Mr. and Mrs. with your guests present as much as limitations are given at the venue. Don't feel this as a waste of time for your guests or yourselves. Its one time you have everyone coming to see you both as one as much as it may not be fun the way you imagine. You will still have an amazing time and be with the ones you love.
  • Marie
    Beginner June 2021 Ontario
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just noticed your name is Maria! We are Maria and Marie! LOL
    Anyway, I totally feel you on wanting nice photos! Hopefully things will be in better shape in September. We're in Toronto and fiancé's family & groomsmen are in Ottawa.. so they would have to drive 4 hours and they have still been very supportive and understanding we are doing our best with the restrictions. That being said, we are also offering a professional Livestream for any guests who can't make it or don't feel comfortable attending in person (Our DJ company wouldn't return our deposit but has livestreaming services so we pivoted to that instead). I know it's not the same as having them with you in person, but it might be a good backup option so they can still witness your union and feel a little more a part of the day if attending in person is not feasible.
  • Maria
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Marie. I know I feel like we’ve been in that same boat. I would have moved it to a yard a long time ago but no one I know has one with enough potential or space. Plus our venue (the Elora mill) is too beautiful of a space to pass up. Lol if I’m not gonna get the “normal” wedding at least let me have beautiful photos. LOL. My priorities are all over!
    I do hope you can still celebrate for June 🤞. But I get what you mean about “just getting it over with” who would have thought that would be the wedding motto of 2020/2021 😂😩.
    I have been hearing a lot more positive feed back about this idea than I had thought so I guess that’s a good thing. I just worried bc our family and friends are coming from 1.5-2.5hr distances and that’s what gives me that “useless” feeling
  • Marie
    Beginner June 2021 Ontario
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I came up with nearly the exact same plan as you, but to cancel our venue and just use my parents backyard, and at first I also really worried guests might feel it's not worth it or offended we couldn't have them for dinner. Fiancé's parents were supportive but my parents were mortified by this plan as they had somehow still been holding onto our 120 person wedding venue plans even a year after covid hit. I asked my closest friends and a couple aunt's I am close with about it and everyone was super supportive and understanding that yes it's an unusual plan by pre-covid standards but we are living in unusual times now, so they totally understand the day will look different and we should just do what makes us happy and they will support us no matter what! After I told my parents our guests are fine with it, they seemed to relax a little but they are still disappointed we can't have a normal wedding.
    Now it's looking more and more like we won't be able to have guests at all for June 13th with these lockdown extensions. Coincidentally we are considering postponing to Sept 5th as well, but also just want to get it over with and end all this stress and anxiety already so we might go ahead with it even with just 10 people.
    I know it sounds unhelpful at first but it really does seem like most guests will be understanding and you really should just do what feels right to you and your fiancé.
  • Maria
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Hank! Well we’ve got deposits on a lot of things since our original plan was Jan 25 then March 8. I’m hoping September 5 is lucky for us! 🤞we haven’t booked anything yet.
    Hmm you’re right. I never thought about that looking like a reception. Well here’s hoping there’s enough time to figure that part out.
    And you’re right! People are looking for an excuse to not be home! Add some dress up! And I can see people being in! ❤️
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it's a waste of a day. People have been yearning for any social activity with this lockdown and a simple wedding is better than staying home doing nothing.

I'd just watch out for the cake and champagne part. Depending on the region you're in and what colour code it will be (if we're still using colour codes), anything resembling a reception might not be allowed. Luckily champagne is something you can buy much closer to the date but I wouldn't put deposits on bakers just yet.
    Btw, we're wedding buddies! I'm getting married in the Sept long weekend on the 5th!
  • Maria
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thankfully, we haven't purchased much besides our outfits. Our vendors have been nothing but accommodating with us. Could not ask for a better team. Yea, I'm hoping to be able to do the sequel in Summer 2022. And you're right, there may be a lot of brides out there looking for decor when their time comes, so definitely an extra bonus, if things go a different way.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    As much as I wanted the big party (to celebrate the end of covid as well) I'm quite happy with the thought of a microwedding now. We would literally have to bring marriage certificate and ourselves since the ones I have looked at includes everything. I could sell anything I have already purchased to another bride/groom looking to decorate in 2023 lol.
  • Maria
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for that! I think we can do it right Smiley winking haha! Our moms are just happy as long as we're happy with whatever we do, so that takes off A LOT of pressure. I will keep my fingers crossed for your January wedding! Smiley heart

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If we are not able to have our normal wedding by Jan next year we are going to do a microwedding on a Sunday afternoon in the spring. I'm sure all Saturdays for 2022 will be booked and we won't do the full wedding on any other day. I think everyone is loving the idea of just getting out to do something. I don't think that a microwedding is a waste of time at all. It would be great just to be able to see people 😊. When I mentioned to my mom able switching it up to a microwedding she said she went one before and it was one of the nicest weddings she had been to. It seems like if done right it would be a wonderful wedding option.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics