Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2022 Alberta

MIL Making our wedding cake..

Shanise, on November 4, 2021 at 08:50 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 4
So at the beginning of our wedding planning process, my mom offered to buy our wedding cake. But after, my FH suggested we ask his mom to do it because she likes baking and it would be an honour for her to do it for us. So I reluctantly agreed, giving up the option for a professionally made cake for a home made one. The thing is, she doesn’t do that style of baking, her cakes are usually not decorated the nicest and are quite dry. She just recently brought over cupcakes that were a potential flavour of wedding cake and they were NOT good. How do I go about telling her that her cakes aren’t great? Is that mean? I feel like I should have just let my mom pay for the cake to avoid all this but now I’m stuck and don’t want to offend anyone. HELP.

4 Comments

Latest activity by Shanise, on December 10, 2021 at 16:31
  • S
    Beginner June 2022 Alberta
    Shanise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the advice everyone! This definitely helps a lot!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know how it feels to tell your MIL how bad her cake baking is to avoid any negative reactions. FH should let his mom know instead and say it would be better to have some of the desserts you make better as an alternative though we appreciate you making the cake itself for us. Sometimes the news is not taken well from the fiancé as much as the son/daughter does say to their own parent. I hope she does take it well and be happy to make her own dessert.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with what Samantha said, there is really no way on saying it nicely to your MIL and FH that what she made is not to your liking and you prefer to have it professionally made.

ALSO if cakes/cupcakes are not her style of baking - I would suggest maybe having her make a dessert bar instead? She can set up the table to her liking on the wedding day and set all the baked goods she can make like brownies, cheesecake squares, tarts, etc.

For some, the wedding cake is a big deal. They like the idea of photos being taken at the time the cake is cut, enjoy the intimate moment of feeding each other cake and the last thing that person wants is to cut in a cake not "picture worthy" and try to choke down something dry.

• S
    Frequent user October 2024 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Shanise! I can totally understand where you are coming from and how you feel. I would mention this to your fiancé, if you haven't already. Maybe there is a way to compromise, would your MIL be able to bake a cake for an event prior to your wedding day? Like your engagement party or rehearsal dinner/post wedding brunch. I hope this helps Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics