Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
Expert June 2019 Ontario

Might have to cancel and start new..

Holly, on January 27, 2018 at 11:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
So I'm all over the place with emotions about this right now.

My fiancé has been given a conditional job offer (pending a few things) in British Columbia, we live in Ontario. So it's 3743km away from our venue in Chatham. We have that deposit down on that, our photographer and our officiant. So they are all booked and set. However I don't know if we will be able to keep planning from that far away. We still have just under a year and a half till the wedding. (June 1, 2019) and I am absolutely in love with my venue and just can't get over it. We might have to talk about cancelling it and having something small in BC. The downside is I won't get the dream wedding I want, but I honestly don't know if I can do this from that far away.

Has anyone dealt with or currently dealing with this? Any advice?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Marina, on January 30, 2018 at 18:41
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We live in London, ON and are getting married in Edmonton, AB. The reason we are doing this is because we had the engagement party in Europe, where I come from, so it was only fair to do the wedding in edmonton.

However, not only do I not live there, but on top of that have never lived in! Initially I was scared that I wouldn’t be able to do it and I did not know where to start from, but now everything is ready.

So you should be able to do it as well, as at least you have lived in ON before Smiley smile

just keep calm and stay organized and try to deal with one thing at a time and all’s going to be fine Smiley smile

after all, you’ve got so much time! Our engagement will last for a total of 9 months and already all is ready, so no worries again Smiley smile

also, congrats on your partner’s new job!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I totally think you can make it happen! As many here have said, there are tons of ways to communicate these days so that makes things easier. I would maybe appoint someone here as your "representative" if things need to actual be seen and looked at but otherwise I think you should be fine.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I suppose there are so many ways of communication these days.. thanks 😊
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Valid point lol, thanks girl! 😊
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I live in Calgary and planning a wedding (without a planner) in our hometown of Ottawa/Gatineau. It's not easy but totally doable. The vendors I've been dealing with, so far, have been very accommodating with communicating via email and accepting to make Skype calls. I mean, I met my photographer over a Skype call haha. As for decorations, I'm ordering a lot of my stuff online and will be shipping them over to my parents' house!

You can totally do this Smiley smile

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Is it really wedding planning if you’re not stressed out your mind? Smiley tongue It’ll all be worth it in the end!
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've seen so many beautiful pictures from summer and I'm super excited! But you're right either way I'm getting married, I'm totally going to try my hardest to keep the wedding as is, just going to be a bit stressed while doing so..
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I'm just worried I'll get too stressed with planning, starting fresh, finding work and planning from so far..
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Kelowna is gorgeous in the summer! Especially early summer since there’s a much smaller chance of wildfires making the air all smokey. A smaller wedding there would still be gorgeous, and it’s still early enough that you’d be able to get a venue if it did come to moving it to Kelowna. You’ll be able to have a beautiful wedding either way. Hopefully you can stick with your current venue and have what you originally wanted but if all else fails, you’ll be able to have a beautiful wedding there, even if it is smaller.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I definitely don't want to push back lol I'm thinking maybe just a smaller version of the wedding I'm planning. And around the Kelowna area.
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s the best you can do! The other option is you could push back the date so you have some time to save and have a wedding similar to what you planned out there but only here in BC? Where in BC are you moving too, out of curiousity?
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    With moving costs I don't know if you can afford to put any more deposits down on anything or hire a planner. I don't have any family in the city and all his family is way too controlling with things they want over what I want so I don't trust them.. we'll keep trying, I do not want to give me so I'll give it all I got 😊
  • Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve seen lots of brides plan their weddings from different provinces. I’d say it’s a harder but definitely doable. Don’t give up yet!
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have room in the budget for a wedding planner? If you do, I’d say get a planner and keep your wedding where it is. Also do you have family that still live over that way that could help? Maybe you could book more vendors early on so it’s done? Keep your head high and look at what it’s going to take to keep your wedding, not how easy it would be to cancel. Hopefully you’ll find a way, after all, people do destination weddings all the time!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics