Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Newbie September 2019 Ontario

Midnight snack

Jessica, on April 10, 2019 at 21:57 Posted in Wedding reception 0 27
I need some advice about our midnight snack ideas! We will be having light apps during cocktail hour (veggie tray, cheese and cracker tray, pinwheels), followed by buffet with 3 entree choices and all the sides, then dessert bar with many different options.

Where I am stuck is midnight snack. Our caterer has said they can provide sandwiches, but personally, I’m not really a fan of sandwhiches, especially when having some drinks!

I had the idea of having a Salty Sweet bar, where we would have a few varieties of popcorn, chips, Chex mix (homemade), pretzels, plus some candies and chocolate. We would have treat bags and people could make their own mix. I’m just not sure if that’s enough food when people are drinking, or if it could been seen as “cheap”.

What did you do for midnight snack?

27 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on January 2, 2021 at 17:56
  • Sarah
    Beginner August 2023 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just commented in reply to someone else about us potentially having fried chicken, however If I do go ahead with it then I will not be ordering if for all my guests as I have been so many weddings where the evening food is wasted!
    However, at my work Christmas party they had a snack table like you suggested come out late at night with bags and even though people didn’t really eat it at the time they did take it away with them!
    It already sounds like you have a lot of food throughout the day and the snack table sounds like something you would want so I say go for it! Just make sure there is a big enough variety! I’mmore of a savoury person so just make sure that there is some savoury snacks out too as well as the sweet ones and it will be perfect!
  • Sarah
    Beginner August 2023 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The venue we are looking at can do fried chicken for a midnight snack and even do vegan options! It’s kind of selling me on the venue 😂
  • A
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mind sharing the name of the caterer? Our venue is allowed any caterer but we are struggling to choose one

• Kelsey
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For our late night option we are having a Poutine bar and a chicken nugget bar...I love chicken nuggets and I am the most excited!!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you able to bring in your own food for the midnight snack? Some places have rules that you can only use their catering.

I do like your idea, but I don't think it's enough. I like the idea of food bars: we had a poutine bar, but there's also taco bars, crepe bars, hot dog bars, mac and cheese bars. Basically, anything where guests can choose what toppings to add to the main food.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yum, street meat!! ( that's what we call the hot dog/sausage carts).
  • A
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allyson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing poutine. We're getting biodegradable containers from the restaurant supply store.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The snack bar sounds fun! My caterer has a bunch of options for their late night snacks so we are doing soft pretzels, poutine and nachoes!! A couple other weddings we went to have had breakfast foods served for the late night snacks Smiley smile

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Girl do the snack bar! Sounds fun! We're thinking of getting a few varieties of popcorn for ours.

I've looked at what our caterer offers for midnight snack and I'm just overwhelmed by the price. I find that late snacks are still relatively new to weddings, and not everybody is doing them, so even if you put out something small, guests are PUMPED!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a DIY grilled cheese bar- with options of putting diff meats on it, different dipping sauces, and diff cheeses/breads.

• Whitney
    Newbie August 2019 British Columbia
    Whitney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are planning to do a DIY waffle bar. 2 waffle irons, a giant bowl of "just add water" pancake mix, and all the toppings (syrup, butter, fruit, whipped cream...). Easy & delicious when drinking!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My Uncle did this at his wedding 2 years ago, it was THE BEST snack after an evening of open bar and dancing! Loved it. They even had veggie dogs for my fiance, he was so delighted!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're most likely doing a poutine bar that will have veggies, chips and dip, as well as fruit and chocolate fountain.

I think it's best to have almost a small meal available since guests will probably get hungry after drinking/dancing at your reception!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True, it would for sure be up there on our list of maybe's if our venue wasn't 45 minutes outside the perimeter of the city Smiley atonished

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fat Franks all the way! Or occasionally I would hit up Queen Donair. But the hotdogs usually won the battle.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

INow I just want all the yummy Ukrainian goods.. but I am on keto so none for me!

I've seen people keep them warm in crockpots before too. But lots of butter required so they don't stick. I just don't want to arrange dealing with that many crockpots haha. I was like if I order pizza.. I can preschedule. They bring it, and I am done haha. Don't have to worry about the person I delegated being too drunk or forgetting haha.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The point of the midnight lunch is to have something more substantial than munchies.

We are doing a hot dog bar, and possibly a few pizzas - we both remember fondly when we were younger, leaving the bar and immediately hitting the hot dog stand outside at 2 am! It's what you did when you were drinking (at least here in Edmonton, haha!).

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, that was my sister's job!! I was the one that made the holopchi/holubtsi - rice in cabbage, put in roaster, repeat until a layer and then the fun part of pouring the tomato mixture and salt + pepper!

So many good memories with my Baba and Gido Smiley smile

We have a few cabins at our venue so I'm sure if we make enough we would be able to keep them warm until then in the oven, but we'll see.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re thinking pizza and sliders. Our venue offers fruit, I think. And we get a choice of one midnight station but likely will need several. Pizza is amazing when people are drinking
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wanted to do a perogie bar so bad... but it was just too much of a hassle trying to cook them and keep them warm haha. My Baba makes the best perogies too. I used to be the filler.. which meant scoop for the perogies.. scoop for me haha.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue has tons of neat midnight snack options so we are going with a poutine bar and nachos! A complete 180 from the gourmet dinner we will be serving. So neat!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The most common midnight snack out there that I've seen is pizza so I wouldn't worry about looking cheap! Heck, here in MB for socials our go-to late-night snack is pizza or the more common; bread, cheese, pickles, deli meat, etc. to make a sandwich!

For ours we are most likely going to have something from both sides of our families - Ukrainian food for me and Icelandic Ribbon Sandwiches for him!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have yet to decide on what we are doing.

But from our venue our option are nacho bar, popcorn bar, or the regular pizza and fondue stuff.

• DrB
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    DrB ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had pizza and poutine- it was a hit
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! We are having sliders and poutine for late night to try and soak up all the regret in the guests stomachs haha!

Pizza is a great idea! Something you can eat with your hands and quickly, if you order a bunch of pizzas I think everyone would be thrilled! I would personally love a late night pizza party at a wedding with drinking that just sounds amazing!

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My sister had pizza and poutine at her wedding. After drinking all night, I was very happy to have this lol
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think drunk people might want something a little heartier. Or you might want them to ingest some more food haha.

The most budget friendly and heartier options we came across were pizza. Or taco in a bag

pizza works out to like 3.50 a person. It’s what we are doing. And then grabbing some chips as well

we were considering doing taco in a bag. I just decided it would end in me wearing salsa. But super cost effective. Have the taco meat in crockpots. Salsa. Sour cream. Lettuce tomato. And mini bags of Doritos!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics