Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tamanna
Curious June 2021 Ontario

Men's wedding attire

Tamanna, on January 8, 2021 at 01:23 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19
Hi everyone, my fiance is looking for places to shop for his suit during this pandemic, it's been especially difficult since Toronto has been placed under lockdown again. Any advice on where to buy his wedding attire from? He wants to go in person and doesn't want to risk it fitting poorly. Thank you so much, looking forward your responses Smiley smile

19 Comments

Latest activity by Wood99, on August 16, 2021 at 16:04
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As far as I know, Moores only rents and don't sell tuxedos. And if they do sell, they'll be overpriced for what it is.

Size wise, it's the same. The differences between a tuxedo and regular suit are stylistic (satin lapel and buttons). They still fit like regular suits would. If he's getting a tuxedo, he'll need some additional but specific accessories: a tuxedo shirt, jewels (cufflinks and shirt studs), a waist covering, and a bow tie.

To wear a tuxedo, he needs a specific dress shirt with french cuffs to hold cufflinks and a placket that doesn't show buttons. In lieu of regular buttons, he'll need to put shirt studs on to hold the shirt. If you can't find a proper tuxedo shirt, you can get a french cuffed regular dress shirt and just have a tailor remove the buttons on the body and replace with button holes for him to add the jewels. If he prefers something less flashy and with less bling, he can find a shirt with a covered placket so the buttons aren't showing.

Since you're getting married in June, I personally would recommend a cummerbund as the waist covering. They're more affordable, cover less of the body so he'll stay cooler in the warmer months, and they fit better off the rack. That being said, cummerbunds are a bit old-school and to some people, they feel dated.

Waistcoats (aka vests) do look less awkward when you take off the jacket but they also cost more. If he wants a waistcoat instead of a cummerbund, make sure he gets the right one: they need to be low cut and all the ones you see at typical rental stores are actually the wrong type of vest.

Men's wedding attire 1

• Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    He just decided that he wants tuxedo instead while browsing today 😅
    I'm gonna monitor the sales regularly on their website, we know his old suit size but not tux, IDK if that's different... I think he wants to go in person either way, just hoping we can 🤞
    Do you have any opinions on Moores? He doesn't want to rent btw.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, you're looking for a tuxedo? I thought you guys wanted suits. That changes things then. I don't think tuxedos will fly off the shelves as fast as the suits because of their limited use (most people don't have need for one and the two black tuxes are currently sitting at around $500-$600). I think you can hold off and visit the place in-person in that case. The price might even drop further since they seem to be liquidating so fast. But yeah, I really hoping they don't close shop.

• Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We just checked and yeah they don't have many tuxedos left... He still wants to in person though, I'll mention it to him that they may run out, I really hope they aren't going out of business Smiley sad
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Spier & Mackay has an insane liquidation sale right now (so much that I'm worried they'll go out of business). It's final sale so no returns but if your fiance knows his size (check his other suits if he has one), I highly suggest seeing what's available online soon, nab it if he likes it, and then taking it to the tailor. I was shopping during Boxing Day and even stuff in my cart disappeared because they were going so fast. The price really is a steal for the quality you're getting (Italian or Australian wool, half canvass, and a Bemberg Cupro lining that won;t suffocate him during the warmer months).

• Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No worries Amelia and thank you for your suggestions, we're going to wait it out and hopefully get his suit from Spier & Mackay, fingers crossed 🤞
  • Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for the advice again, we just talked and decided on Spier & Mackay! I didn't know tailoring suits take that little, so that really helps too 😊
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I doubt there would be much left at Le Chateau after three more months of liquidation sales but even if stocks aren't depleted, I strongly recommend not going to them for a suit. They're great for many things but suits aren't one of them. The quality is on par, if not worse, than a crappy one from H&M.

Because your wedding is in June, I wouldn't suggest RW&Co either. Their currently selection is pretty bad (leftover full polyester suits from the fall - all the wool blends are gone) and when their new line comes out next season (which will feature more wool blend or cotton/linen options), it'll be pretty expensive and at that price, you might as well get a full wool suit elsewhere.

Don't worry about tailoring. A suit will usually take a tailor no more than a week max (provided you bought one that fits properly). Usually the only adjustments they have to do are shortening sleeves and hemming pants. If you have to take in the waist for the jacket or pants, give it another week. Don't buy anything that that's too small and he'll have to let out because off the rack suits usually have very little room for that (it's one way they keep the price down).

If you have any questions about suits when the time comes, feel free to message me.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn't see the suit on him before the alterations, but he claims it fit ok before that.

I'm seeing a few people talking about essential businesses, and store closures and I know that after being measured in store he ordered his size to be shipped to our house. I believe RW also has free returns (I know they take online returns in store), so if you're not sure of size or color you could order more than 1 and return the rest.
  • Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I salute you sir 👏
  • Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for sharing and you look stunning girl, I love your dress 😍
    I don't think we'll have enough time for alterations but I'll let him know 😊

• Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for letting me know, we'll avoid that one 🙂
  • Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is extremely helpful, thank you so much!! He is going to wait and see if he can go in person around April or May, otherwise he'll have to order online...
  • Tamanna
    Tamanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for sharing your advice, we're going to wait and see if he can go in person around April or May, otherwise we'll have to order online from Le Chateau or Moores Smiley smile
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As one of the few men on the forum, I feel like it's my duty haha.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I LOVE how you broke this down for ppl! That's pretty awesome... We wanted to go with Garrison Bespoke but that way wayyyyyyyyyyyy too pricey LOL.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and his best man are going with Moores. They're decently priced

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here's a few options broken down by different price ranges. Regardless of where he goes, my recommendation is to get suits that are 100% wool (or if budget is a concern, a minimum 80% wool). Avoid polyester and rayon if you can. They'll give suits that shiny-like plastic look and will suffocate your FH. All suits will have a tag in the inner breast pocket with the material composition for you to check out.

Budget options ($200-$400):

-Moores. Joseph Abboud suit can be around $250 when sales happen (don't get JOE by Joseph Abboud, which is their polyester line made overseas). Sign up for their emails and you get coupons and notices about their sales. Quality varies widely by location so if you're not feeling it at one spot, go to another. My experiences at Warden and Eglinton were good but not so much at Hwy 7 and Woodbine (who were pushy and didn't know their stuff imo).

-Stars Strauss Mens Shop - they usually have deals where you get a shirt or tie for free with the purchase of a suit. Their wool suits are at the $250 mark and they have wool tuxedos at the $500 mark. Anything below that is their polyester crap. Like Moores, the location makes a difference (I prefer Fairview Mall over Scarborough Town Centre).

-Tom's Place in Kensington - just a warning, the sales people there can be pushy but you can get brand name suits for pretty cheap.

-Department Stores like The Bay, Saks off 5th, Nordstrom Rack, and Simons. If you get a good sale, you can get a two piece for around $200-$250. The only thing that sucks about department stores is, you can't choose your own pant size (they automatically give you a pair that corresponds to the jacket size) so if your FH has non-standard proportions, it won't fit properly. If you buy at department stores, I recommend taking the suit to a tailor to make it fit better (don't use the tailors they have in-house as they tend to be terrible).

-Banana Republic - unlike department stores where you have to sift their their stock to see if the suit material is decent, most BR suits are 100% wool. When they go on sale, you might be able to snag something in this price point.

-Andrew's Formalwear on Eglinton West does rentals and sells both new and used stock so you might be able to find something nice. If you're looking to get a three piece, they have some really nice options for vests.

-Collins Formalwear is also a rentals company that sells their used stock for cheap. You can get a previously-used tuxedo for under $300. They might also have used suits for cheap.

Mid-priced ($400-$600):

-Spier & Mackay currently have a bunch of clearance sharkskin wool suits for $300, which is a great deal for half-canvassed suits

-Indochino is an online store but they have brick and mortar locations for you to check out their fabrics and get measured. I personally find them to be a hit or miss but others I know have had better experiences. because all their work is done overseas, which means if you have any issues with the fit, even little things, they have to ship the thing back to China or wherever it is they get things done as opposed to someone in house.

Pricier ($600-$800) - at this range, you're looking at affordable made to measure options or expensive retail suits

-JCrew's Ludlow suits (this is pretty much the standard for off-the-rack retail suits)

-Suit Supply is more expensive than Indochino but if you're going made to measure, it's worth it in my opinion as the experience there and final product is much better than what you get at Indochino

-Brooks Brothers, Ted Baker London, Harry Rosen, Got Style, Surmesur

High End ($800+) if your FH is baller

-Holt Renfrew, Garrison Bespoke (they made the suits in the Suits TV show), pretty much any bespoke suit (where they're hand sewn from a unique piece of fabric and done to your exact measurement)

Places to avoid (in my opinion)

International Clothiers, H&M, Jason Jackson, (cheaply made, polyester)

Tip Top Tailor (Moores is way better with a bigger selection)

Topman, Zara (expensive polyester)

Hugo Boss (you're paying for the brand name and at that price, you can get a nice made to measure suit)

For the shirt, go to The Bay or Saks off 5th. I like that their shirts are sized with neck and arm measurements for more accurate fit unlike most retailers who sells small, medium, and large. For accessories, I like RW&Co. You can get nice cufflinks, tie bars, and pocket squares there for cheaper than a lot of other places. For ties, order online from Aristocrats Bows and Ties - it's an online store based in Markham and their selection is huge!

Good luck!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband went to RW &Co with a suit savvy friend. His friend had to do the measurements but had a lot of guidance from the staff who knew what they were doing. We did still need to have his pants hemmed and his jacket altered a tiny bit but he looked so good! More people told me how good he looked than how good I looked (little jealous 🤣)

Men's wedding attire 2

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics