Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katelyn
Frequent user August 2018 Alberta

Memorial table

Katelyn, on August 13, 2017 at 22:30 Posted in DIY 0 21
Like most people, the families of the groom and me involve several long-lived lives and unfortunately some tragedies too. I'm looking for ideas to honour those important people who have passed away. I'm sure everyone has seen the memorial table with the photo frames and phrase, "we know that you'd be here today if heaven wasn't so far away." I'd like to know what others have in mind to honour their deceased. Is this phrase overused? Would you do something at the ceremony or the reception or both? Thanks!

21 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 15, 2018 at 23:20
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My diy of a note research to respect the same reason. I came up with this idea for the guests Signing our book

Memorial table 1
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love the simple phrase!

• Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that memory board idea!

I might have to borrow that!

thanks!

• Crystal
    Newbie September 2018 Alberta
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have charms which we will put on out bouquet that are small picture frames.. so both the groom's mother and my father walk down the aisle with us on our special day. David's bridal offers them (small little silver square frames for me that wrap the handle of my bouquet with a single white ribbon ❤) as well we have a smaller table set up with various frame sizes for his mom my father his brother and our grandparents with an arrangement of flowers to tie into our scheme . Whatever you choose.. I'm sure it will look beautiful.
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also love the idea of this one, which includes wedding photos of the loved ones.

Memorial table - 1
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I came across this very simple phrase and setup!

Memorial table - 1
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I so want to do this at our wedding but my fiancé is leery at it but open to me proving him wrong so I have to find a really good example. As he is not religious what so ever we will not be using the saying If heaven wasn't so far away but that "song"/"saying" brings me to tears each time. The other one "the ones we love never truly go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard, yet always near. Still loved, still missed and very dear." strikes a note but I'll keep looking until I get it right. The picture frames from michaels and the handmade ones shown on here were beautiful. Also at Michaels I found angel wings for cheap as they were clearing them out and I love my angel wings. This is something I really want as in less than 4 years I lost my great grandmother, grandmother, sister (27) and grandfather. And last year I lost my other great grandmother but she lived to 101. I also want to pay respect to my fiancés grandparents who played important roles in his life who are no longer with us whom I never met. I actually live in one of their houses they raised his mom and his aunts in before I even knew my fiancé existed.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know, thats why we chose it! We got it at Michaels and I used a 50% off coupon if your interested! I love it.

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This will be beautiful! Plus the symbolization of a window, whether intended or not - I love it!!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure that we're doing this, but a friend of mine had hers set up with the wedding photos of the grandparents who had passed away as sort of a memorial and a nod to the families that she and her husband came from. I thought it was a cute and different way to do it!

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are using a window frame very similar to this one, ours is natural wood and only has 6 spots for photos. I am going to clip photos of those who have passed away in each section and then have a framed saying beside that reads "the ones we love never truly go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard, yet always near. Still loved, still missed and very dear."

I know some people don't understand why we will be having this, however for me, it is important as two of the people who have passed were my dad, and my fiances uncle. Some of our grandparents will be included as well but for us it is especially important that we have my dads photo and FH's uncles photo since they should be here and cannot. It is just a special way for us to have their memory and spirit with us on the day.

memorial window

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a great idea, and doesn't take up too much room. it would be easy for us to set up at the ceremony and pack up to bring back to the reception. I like the quote too!

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw, I love this idea! Sharing the happy memories.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just got married this weekend and I did a memorial table! This is what mine looked like. We lit the candles for the reception, this was just when we were setting it all up. The roses are from my Grandpa bill's funeral, and my Grandpa Ron's funeral and I had a photo of both of them. And then the golf thing was from my Grandpa Bill's casket! Then I have the two photos of my grandpa's and then the lady is my husbands great aunt Lillian who passed last year!

Memorial tableMemorial table

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided on doing a memorial board with their pictures hanging from it with the saying "in memory- those we love don't go away, they walk beside us everyday. Unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear. Loved but never forgotten".

Memory boardMemory board

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can honour those that have passed in the "speeches"part of the reception. That's what I did for my daughter's wedding. I didn't dwell on it because it's meant to be a joyous occasion, but I mentioned it so that they're not forgotten.

• Jordie
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Jordie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance didn't like the table and pictures approach so I decided to not only show photos of the people who couldn't be there but have photos up of both of us growing up with those people who couldn't be there on the day. ie grandparents etc, this way it doesn't make everyone sad.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Following this, I need some ideas on honoring our loved ones also.
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really like this idea! I've seen a lot of cool ideas about honouring deceased loved ones on Pinterest. I asked my fiancé whether he wanted to do this, but he didn't like the idea at all!
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the feedback! You are right, I should definitely make sure it doesn't seem like too much dwelling in the past. It is a celebration! I like the idea of just setting something up at the ceremony, and maybe mentioned the loved ones (generally) during toasts. I don't want to offend any other brides, but I really hope I can find an alternative phrase or something to use!
  • Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The phrase is very over used. My mother wants me to have a memorial table with pictures of loved ones. I would just have a table just for the ceremony. It is your wedding day and it is about looking forward in the future , I don't want my guests to seem like we are looking too much in the past on a day that is supposed to celebrate two people joining lives for a better future. Could always do a mini speech at reception(1min) about how you wish some people were here today but know they are always with you and made you the person you are today.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics