Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexandria
Curious August 2021 Ontario

Melting Rings

Alexandria, on May 13, 2018 at 03:15 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 5
Hello everyone,

I will be in the Ottawa area and am interested in using a family heirloom (old wedding ring) to melt down and have a new one made for my wedding band.

Does anyone know anywhere where I can do that?

Thanks.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on May 16, 2018 at 11:43
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could try Don Thompson Jewelers on Bank Street or on Albert Street. Family-run business and super nice and friendly.

https://www.thompsonjewellers.com/

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I looked into doing this, and I was advised that you will need more than one ring to create another ring. Mainly because there is filler in your gold, so you will need more gold added (other old jewelry, etc.) Also beware that some places will take your gold and won't actually use that gold to create your new piece. They will use the equivalent weight in new gold.

So, if it is important for your gold to go back into your ring, make sure you ask specifically.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Alexandra,

I'm not sure if they do this specifically but try Davidson's Jewellers on Bank Street - old family run business and I've only heard good things. If they don't do it, they likely have a recommendation.

613-234-4136

https://davidsonsjewellers.com/

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never heard of this, it sounds interesting. Usually I hear about getting heirloom rings resized, either larger or smaller, or getting stones reset, but I have not heard of a new ring being made with the old metal of another ring. Do you know someone who has had it done? Have you looked for craftspeople on Etsy who might offer this service, if a traditional jewelry store doesn't provide it? A jewelry store may also have contact info for specialty craftspeople.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would call a couple of the jewellery stores in the area. I'm not super familiar with Ottawa so I would just call one and they should be able to direct you to the right person. Great idea by the way!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics