Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Curious May 2021 Ontario

May 22, 2021 wedding

Amanda, on January 17, 2021 at 13:27 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7
Hello everyone, my wedding was moved from Aug 2020 to May 2021, our minimum guest list in the contract says 60 guests, I know things are changing but I am just worried and thinking of doing an intimate small wedding, we already deposited for up-to 55 persons before the pandemic and it would not look nice if it’s only 10 or 20 persons showing up due to restrictions. So it’s there anyone in my position plus my venue is not willing to move date again and we were told we would still pay for 60 persons even if restrictions are 10 or 20 people.
I am thinking of getting a refund and loosing the deposit and at the same time restrictions might change.. but in the case it doesn’t change till May 2021, I won’t be getting refund because I have to notify them 3 months before the wedding. Pls I need advice.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 24, 2021 at 12:39
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your venue contract is solid though the numbers can change if Covid changes are taking place for small guests count. They should be following the protocol of the limitation which most venues are doing at this time. It would be good to know from a lawyer of the circumstances of what action can be taken if the venue is giving you the option of losing your deposits if you don't give notification in the 3 months prior time of refund. You should look into the government site to see what is being done on their end about this.

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They might be willing to still have your wedding at 50 if you still pay for the 10 to bring it to 60 even though those 10 can’t be there..
  • Bella
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Bella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Hank. The venue cannot penalize you if they are not able to provide the agreed upon service in your contract (based on government restrictions). They are opening themselves up to serious litigation. It's a different story if the restrictions are lifted, and you decide not to go through with a 60 person event.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But that minimum is only a penalty to you if you don't bring in 60 people when it's allowed. It doesn't apply if the government creates regulations that don't allow it. Hopefully this is just a case of misunderstanding on your part because if they're trying to enforce a 60 person order on you when lock down/stay at home restrictions are still in place, then they're breaking the law.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have an 80 person minimum but if we are not able to have it because of government regulations we do not have to pay for that. Have you asked the venue to clarify it? Did someone actually tell you government regulations or not you have to pay? I would definitely see a lawyer if that is the case.
  • Amanda
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Tosca is my venue, the contract we sign said we are responsible to pay for minimum of 60guests even if we do not have up to 60guest May 22, 2021 wedding 1

because the hall takes minimum of 60. We were originally planning on having a guest of 120 so yes we knew we were going to have more than 60 persons. Without the restrictions we are okay with the contract but with this restriction it is not going to be possible since we can’t have up-to 60 people at a gathering .
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't understand the three month notice your venue is threatening you with. If your venue is threatening to eat your deposit no matter what and you cancel within the 3 month mark, what are they going to do? Cook food for 60 people who won't show up? I highly doubt they'll spend money to hire someone to chase your down for money.

On that note, I don't know the specifics (exact wording) of your contract but it is generally considered frustrated (void) if the government restricts gatherings and your venue is unable to hold up their end of the business transaction. The argument is if they want to enforce you to pay the terms then they have to provide the service. You're under no obligation to pay for anything illegal (which is what holding a 60 person gathering is during the lock down) no matter what a contract says.

Your venue is certainly allowed to not offer you an alternative date - it sucks but within their right. But that means they have to refund you every single penny. They cannot just take your money and say too bad. The only way I can think of where they can get away with something like that is if you signed the contract during the pandemic and they put in language that benefited them but even then I can see instances where that is unenforceable (take this with a grain of salt - I'm not a lawyer).

Who's your venue?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics