Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Matching vs Mismatched Wedding Party Attire

Hank, on February 24, 2022 at 10:31 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 25

Are you on team match or mismatch when it comes to your bridesmaids and groomsmen's clothes for the wedding day?

Matching blue dresses (in different styles) vs mismatched blush dresses

Matching vs Mismatched Wedding Party Attire 1

Mismatched stone tone suits vs matching grey suits

Matching vs Mismatched Wedding Party Attire 2

25 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on March 8, 2022 at 01:57
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We did something similar - grey/silver dresses for the bridesmaids in whatever style they chose.

For the gents, you can also have different patterns in a same colour. So a green stripe vs pin dot etc.

• Lissa
    Devoted October 2022 Ontario
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love the mismatched look but I’ve got a lot going on with my decor already so I’m keeping it easy. All the same green but the bridesmaids can all choose whatever style they feel comfortable in. For the groomsmen we need to figure that out still but I’m guessing we’ll just change out tie colours.
    The bridesmaids will be in agave/dusty sage with blue accents in the flowers. So the groomsmen might have the green ties and my fiancé could have the blue.
    Matching vs Mismatched Wedding Party Attire 3

• Jennifer
    Beginner August 2022 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m mismatch bridesmaid and one grooms maid (sister-in-law).
    My bridesmaids will be an ombré blue floor length with brighter by me going to navy blue at the end. Sister in law will be green (ocean/forest theme).

They get to pick what they want, get to choices their own comfort levels
  • Indy
    Newbie September 2022 Alberta
    Indy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are team mismatch! Greys for the guys and jewel tone color pallet for the girls.
  • S
    Curious July 2022 Saskatchewan
    Sheila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love the mismatched look!!
  • Audrey
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love the mismatch look with different shades of the same colour. I'm only having 2 bridesmaids (MOH and one bridesmaid) so it seemed like we either need the colour to match, or to be VERY different so as not to make it look like we goofed. In the end we picked different dresses in the same colour and fabric. The men will likely be in the same shade of suit and ties but my fiance will likely go with either a bow tie or a darker suit than his groomsmen. And we have a junior bridesmaid and junior groomsman (fiance's two 14-year olds) and his daughter will be in an entirely different but complementary colour that is our accent colour throughout the wedding decor, and her brother will be in the same colour suit as the other groomsmen but his tie will match his sister.

• Maria
    Beginner October 2022 Alberta
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We actually just decided on this today! The groomsmen will be matching but my fiance has a bowtie where they have ties - just subtle differences to make him different lol. My bridesmaids will also be alterating so its slightly different shades because of fabric, so we're doing crepe-satin-crepe-satin. Honestly whatever suits you and your venue best! It's actually pretty easy to match up different dresses especially! As long as it's along the same colour theme Smiley smile

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, that's fair. I thought you wanted the groomsmen to mismatch each other as well.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our shirts and cufflinks/tie were also different from one another but these details are hard to notice unless you're actively looking and staring at us up close. We all wore the same tuxedo jacket because it was the best looking one of the bunch. I wasn't going to stop them from picking a good jacket just to be different lol

We bought our tuxedos when we were still planning a winter wedding. If I were able to get a re-do, I would've changed it to suits, which allow more variety.

• A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No that is the correct photo. The groomsmen are matching but not matching the groom I wanted him to stand out
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did you pin the wrong board for the gents? The pics look like they're matching.

• A
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks!! Well it might be a good idea having less bridesmaids.. less drama 😬😬😬 luckily my bridesmaids were completely fine with me picking their dresses out!
    Looks that way! 🤩🤗 Seems like orange/terracotta is the colour of weddings the past couple years! Haha
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If I had more than one person standing with me I'd go with a mismatched look. There are so many body types and everyone feels good in different looks. I'd go with different shades of colour and styles that make the person feeling good. I would want the guys to feel good too in what they wear.
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats a great idea for providing some variety while still keeping thing similar enough.

These are some of the styles I sent to my FH so we shall see what he ends up with! lol Sending him to a more local independent shop as all our GM can luckily wear suits in their day jobs so all are willing to buy something (rather than renting)

https://pin.it/3lQ498S

https://pin.it/7yDGsmQ

https://pin.it/6LA2hRa

• Malyssa
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love love lovvvvvve this!!! So wish I had more bridesmaids to pull off those colors!

And thats basically what I have in mind for the men too, but in a more beige/brown tone.

Are we having the same wedding Alyx? heheh

• A
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I totally Agree!!!
  • A
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing mismatched!
    These are the inspo photos I went off of that we purchased!

https://pin.it/1W8sDGo

https://pin.it/1ak5WtO
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are you looking to do a complete unmatched mix (10 completely different colours and styles), or mismatch only a few elements (ie match either colour or style, but different dresses otherwise)?

You can also mismatch in types of clothing: traditional bridesmaid dress vs blazer suit etc.

• Megan
    Newbie August 2024 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m a HUGE fan of mismatched. Terrible at making colours look good together though. Me and my fiancé as a same sex couple have 10 bridesmaids in dresses and are already struggling to make two sides with matching colours but different styles that they feel comfortable in look good so let alone all of them in mismatched colours.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our bridesmaids got different dresses as well! We completely agree that we want each person to be able to choose something that they're comfortable in.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We mismatched our bowties for our tuxedos. They're all black but the shape, grain and pattern on each differ a bit.

Do you have a particular style you're going for or is it all up to the gents?

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mismatched!!! No offence to anyone, but we're not 2 year old siblings that look cute matching 🤦🏻‍♀️ it was really important to me to have everyone's personalities shine and have them be comfortable I'm what they're wearing - and obviously look and feel great! This also allows for different budgets.
    Matching vs Mismatched Wedding Party Attire 4

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've always loved mismatched styles for weddings!

If we were going to have more then one person standing up for each of us, we'd defiantly be going that route!

• Malyssa
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I am obsessed with mismatch. I only have one bridesmaid - so wont have much variety there, but we might have our groomsmen in mismatch colors - boys are looking this weekend and can't wait to see what they pick.

I also love the mismatch of textures too! silks and velvets and tweeds!

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've always pictured my bridesmaids wearing the same dress but I decided to give them the flexibility to choose a dress they liked as long as it meets my criteria. So their dresses still look very similar but have some different elements to them. The groomsmen are wearing the same suit in a midtone grey and my Fiancé is wearing a charcoal suit

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics