Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jen
VIP June 2018 Ontario

Marriage License purchased

Jen, on April 10, 2018 at 11:34 Posted in Before the wedding 0 24

We were officially 2 months out yesterday and celebrated with going to purchase our marriage license from City Hall!

They launched a new computer program so it took a little longer than usual but we got it done. For those who were wondering what it would cost in Ontario it came to $100 even. There is a form to fill out online that you can do prior to bringing it in to purchase the license. We left the signature and the date blank though to sign it in front of the clerk.

After you purchase your license you can then contact your officiant, priest, or whomever will be performing your ceremony to go over your ceremony details. We got lucky as our officiant messaged us as we were purchasing the license lol it's as if she knew what we were up to that day. We will be meeting with her to go over the ceremony details with her next week!

Here is the link for the marriage license application form. Remember, in Ontario they are only valid for 3 months. https://www.ontario.ca/page/getting-married You can download the marriage license application right from that site to bring into your city hall.

Because I was previously married before, I had to ensure that I had all proper documentation before bringing in the application yesterday. If you have been previously married you need to ensure that you have a divorce certificate with the red seal from your local courthouse. It only cost about $20 max and is processed immediately. You'll need your file number to apply for this.

We are so happy to be one step closer to the big day!

Marriage license completed!Marriage License purchased 1

24 Comments

Latest activity by Chloe, on April 16, 2018 at 19:58
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We went today! Turns out you don’t have to get your license in the same city where you’re getting married! (Just in case anyone else was wondering).
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, the officiant takes it and it gets filled out the day of the wedding I believe. Or she will fill it out before hand and we just sign it.

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for sending us the link!! This is helpful! Do you leave the bottom portion blank for the day of the wedding?

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not too sure. I would call your city hall and ask.

• Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats! Thanks so much for sharing the info! I was so curious about this 😊
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re hoping to go get ours this week or next week! Do you know if you have to get the marriage license in the municipality where you will be getting married? We live three hours away from the city where we are getting married, so we were hoping to just get the license in our city.
  • Eimear
    Curious June 2018 British Columbia
    Eimear ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So exciting!! we are getting ours this week too. We will be two months to the day on Sunday eeeek!!!

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats! And thank you for the info!! Really helpful to hear from someone who’s actually done it!
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for this!! I will likely get mine around June when my FH is home & things slow down a bit at work.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yay! Congrats! My fiance and I want to go soon as we are now under 90 days!

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for all the info and congrats on being one step closer!! We live in Pickering and it’s $130.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You need ID, your parents full names, and the province they were born. Easy peasy.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yay!! I am contemplating whether to get my sooner rather than later just to be safe with timing. Did you just need ID and where your parents were born? This is what I've heard but I'm unsure.
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One more thing off the list for you guys! I'm so glad that we don't have to apply for a marriage license. Our officiant takes care of everything for us in Quebec. One less item on my list haha
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem!

• Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for posting this! Was incredibly helpful Smiley smile
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow! I didn't realize the difference in prices everywhere! I'm glad we only had to pay $100 lol

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I live in Thunder Bay. Our city only charges $100.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Woo hoo, how exciting Jen!

Courtney, this is very true - They have to collect a certain portion (around $75 I think) for the provincial fees and then they can charge whatever they want on top of that. Ottawa is apparently one ofthe most expensive in the province at $161.60!!! That's what I get for living in the capital apparently Smiley sad . I checked out a bunch of municipalities in the area and most are around $140 here with the cheapest (within an hour drive) at $130. Luckily that's where my parents live so I'll get our certificate on a trip home later in the spring/summer.

Jen, you are definitely lucky to get it so cheap!

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our license cost $140 in Toronto. Took a couple minutes to get. good note about the Divorce Certificate, we too needed to get the divorce certificate before we could get our license and it is a separate document that you have to go get, it's not part of your divorce paperwork from the court.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Where abouts did you purchase your licence?

From my research into this as I'll be going shortly to pick ours up, municipalities can charge anything they like. So for example, in my area: Burlington/Oakville it's $150 for the licence. I think I saw that Niagara area is $125.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats! You're one step closer!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So close to being done everything.. I can taste the finish line!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's exciting! and very helpful I will keep this in mind for when I get married! One more item off the list Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics