Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vinod
Top August 2017 Ontario

Marriage license information for couples wanting to elope or have immediate weddings

Vinod, on April 16, 2020 at 10:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6

To all couples that feel down on their luck not having to get married on your original date, my heart goes out to you during this time. The situation at hand is not easy to deal with some venues/vendors that can postpone their date to work with your new date set.

The important thing to know is your still going to celebrate your new life as husband & wife/husband & husband/wife & wife with your loved ones, friends and other guests at the postponed date or a reception held later during this or next year.

One piece of information I did come across that is important to know for eloped or having immediate family wedding to have during this time is the Marriage license, which most city halls have closed their doors during the pandemic. I do thank Danielle for sharing this website zorra.ca that is helping couples get married on their date chosen. Another topic following Danielle's site is marriage license steps during the pandemic for couples to register their marriage license to be official. Your free to look it up to get information on

Can I get married during the coronavirus?https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/can-i-get-married...
I hope this helps out to know what you can do in the meantime being official while waiting to submit the license to the government. Please do get an Officiant/Friend or family member who has done the internet course to certify this information for registry.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on April 17, 2020 at 09:09
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So i didn't think to see that part before posting and apologize to everyone for this. It wasn't my intentions to misguide anyone.
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Vinod, the article you posted is from the inquirer which is a Philadelphia newspaper. Wouldn’t apply to Ontario.
  • lkbuck
    Curious January 2021 New Brunswick
    lkbuck ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for this info! We are getting married in July and I was wondering what the process has been like and how hard it has been to get a license in NB.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    All good points are validated as being pointed out.
    I did read up on those who do weddings apart from the official legal departments are permitted for the ocassion. The fee itself is highly expensive.
    The article i put is temporarily going through the insurance company for now until the legal department allows the license to be processed. This would be refering to Ontario as far as i can tell and may vary province to province as you said and i agree. Some city halls are offering licenses right now to ensure couples who want to be legalized now than later. I know most cities will not service the couples as they are non essential businesses. The license is good for 3 months as given from the date.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It varies a lot by province too. In New Brunswick religious officials and certified officiants (lawyers with a license) can perform marriages but you still need the legal paperwork from vital statistics.

I believe NB is still issuing marriage licenses for weddings up to a certain date, but everything is changing so often that I'm sure that could be different before I finish this sentence. If you do have a license I don't know how long it takes to get your certificate right now.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Vinod, I think you're misunderstanding the process. In Canada, you cannot simply complete an internet course and become an officiant. Only recognized members of religious groups who are registered with the province and are in good standing can officiate a wedding for it to be legally recognized. Civil weddings can only be done by Judges, Justice of Peace, or designated municipal clerks for each city/town. Municipal clerks will only do weddings in their designated city halls, which many of you mentioned are closed.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics