Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynne
Curious June 2022 Quebec

Makeup and Hair

Lynne, on January 1, 2020 at 18:58 Posted in Beauty 0 31
Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know if some of you will be doing their own hair and makeup on your big day. I'm still undecided whether to have it professionally done or do it myself.

31 Comments

Latest activity by Megan, on February 5, 2020 at 11:46
  • Megan
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did my own hair and make-up for my wedding. I was having a really hard time finding someone available for my wedding date in Muskoka, ON so I decided to do those myself. I was confident in doing my makeup after practicing many times and made sure to budget time on the day of for me to relax and enjoy the process of making myself look pretty. I did a simple low bun for my hair and kept that minimal. Sure, it would have been nicer to have someone do my hair for me but the stress of finding someone in budget and who would do a good job was not worth extra stress. The only thing I suggest if doing your own hair is invest in a more matte hairspray, mine was a little shiny in the outdoor sun from the large amount of hairspray I used to keep it in place haha. I watched a bunch of wedding makeup videos on YouTube but I suggest only doing your makeup yourself if you have the products and feel comfortable doing "event makeup". Do whatever will create LESS STRESS for yourself because at the end of the day that will be important Smiley smile

• Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I decided to hire someone to go on-location for both hair and makeup. There are a few reasons why I decided to hire someone else.

1) I don't do my hair and makeup regularly and that day is the one day I want it to look perfect.

2) My bridesmaids, mothers, and grandmothers are also getting their hair and makeup done.

3) I know that I am going to be nervous, so I don't want to be shaking. Plus if things aren't working out because I'm shaking, I don't want another thing to stress about that morning.

4) However, the most important reason why I decided to hire someone is because then I get some time to relax and visit with everyone while I'm getting ready. Whereas, if I did it myself I would be concentrating and feel that I wouldn't be as talkative.

• Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unless you regularly do professional level makeup I would recommend having it done. They know how to make you look "photo ready" which is hard to do on your own if you don't know what you're doing. Do you have toner, primer, setting powder, finishing spray? If not go to a professional. Photography is usually very expensive and you will want to look your best.

For hair it depends what you are doing, that you might be able to get away with doing it yourself.

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm planning on doing my own hair & makeup.
    I've done pin-up hair & make up for years, and hair been doing my own make up since I was 12. I am very specific with what I want on my day & I don't trust someone I've met once to do what envision with my specific skin & hair texture.
  • Candice
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Get yours done professionally. Your bridesmaids can do their own, however you want to look your best, and let’s be honest, there are not a lot of people who can make themselves look more perfect than a professional.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As someone who played with the idea of doing my own makeup (decent with it, helpless with hair), I can tell you why I decided to get a pro:

- I wasn't the only one getting hair/makeup. Bridesmaids and mom wanted hair and makeup

- I was nervous (i.e. shaky) day-of and probably wouldn't do as good of a job as I normally would

- It was a great time to get pampered!

• Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think I'm going to have my friend do my make up; I know absolutely NOTHING about make up as I never ever wear it. I was actually contemplating not wearing any but my friend who is a photographer said I could risk looking washed out so I'm just getting the minimum/keeping it natural. As for hair I'm on the fence. I just want to keep my hair down; it has a bit of a natural wave/ringlet to it so it probably just needs to be touched up and sprayed with...something to keep the frizz away 😅 . I've only contacted one salon so far and they want $80 to do my hair which seems excessive and the money could go to something else so still deciding there..or hoping I can find someone a little more reasonable.

• Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am going to a hair salon near my house. They will be doing my hair and make up. They have a bridal package for that.

• Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My aunt is a hairdresser so she will be doing my hair but I am having my makeup done at a salon. I am usually fairly confident with doing my own makeup, but I would not want to risk it on my wedding day. I would be so nervous and probably mess up my eyeliner lol Also makeup artists really know how to get you "photo ready", as makeup can show up different in photos vs just looking in front of a mirror.

• B
    Curious June 2020 British Columbia
    Beah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am getting one of my bridesmaids to do my make up since she’s good at it and I might pay to get my hair done we will see depending on what I choose to do otherwise do it myself or get my friend to go as well. Trying to save $ everywhere I can!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know tons of people who have done it themselves im getting mine done cuz i want lashes and extensive full face coverage LOL!

• Alexandria
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Alexandria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have really curly hair and I will be doing it myself (half-up half-down, probably)! No one will be seeing it below my veil anyway!! I am sure your hair looks nice on a daily basis , why pay someone?
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing our own hair and I’m hiring my cousin in law to do our makeup - she’s a makeup artist for weddings at a hotel so it works out Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My BM/Cousin in-law did my hair and helped one or two others with curling (5 BM's), and then we all did our own makeup but my sister did my eyeshadow Smiley smile

Worked out imo. Thought I looked great and tbh didn't really care about their hair being done a certain way so it was fine. Just couldn't do what I did!!

• Lynne
    Curious June 2022 Quebec
    Lynne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You all made it clear. I'm leaving it to the pros. 👍🏻😃 Thank you for your advice!
  • Lynne
    Curious June 2022 Quebec
    Lynne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Amelia! You're absolutely right. 😊
  • Lynne
    Curious June 2022 Quebec
    Lynne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're absolutely right. I like the idea of getting pampered on my wedding day. Thank you Genna!
  • Allison
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think unless you really know what you're doing, it's best to get it done by a professional. They'll make sure everything is done well for photography, and make sure you look amazing all day long!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm useless when it comes to hair and makeup.
    I'm going to spend the money on a pro, and have a trial day so I can see if I like their work. I think it's worth the extra expense to not worry about all my photos being ruined by my inability to apply eye liner!
  • Genna
    Curious September 2022 Nova Scotia
    Genna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you have some spot in your budget allotted for that kind of thing go for it !! It’s a special day and professionals know how to kick it up a notch so your makeup really reflects in your photos. Plus I think it’s like getting pampered the morning before walking down the aisle 😊
  • Lynne
    Curious June 2022 Quebec
    Lynne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow, thank you so very much for all your replies! I think I will take your advice and hire someone but first I will go for a trial to avoid any surprises on my wedding day.
    Thanks again and Happy New Year everyone! xx
  • Stephanie
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you have the room in your budget, i would say hire someone! With that being said, my friend did her own hair + makeup and doesn’t regret it at all! (She is generally very good at doing her own hair and makeup so felt more comfortable and saved money)
  • Cassandra
    Beginner May 2021 Ontario
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My bridesmaids were give the choice if they wanted to pay or do their own! I, however, chose to get my hair and makeup done professionally because I'm not that talented with styling lol if you're good with makeup and hair it would certainly save money, but if you're unsure it wouldn't hurt to get quotes! I personally didn't want to risk ruining my day by screwing up my own hair, but as I said, I'm not talented in that field.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Anything beyond lipstick (the 24 hour kind) and mascara is too much for me. I can put my hair in a ponytail for work or use a barrette if I want to be fancy...
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm hiring a professional. There's no way I have the skill to do my own. My FSIL and her GF are quite good at makeup and could potentially have done it but I wouldn't want the pressure of telling them I didn't like something if the situation came up.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I decided to leave it to the professionals in regards to hair and make up. I'm the girl that runs a brush through her hair in the morning and does one coat of mascara and lipgloss and out the door. So I'd be so far outside my comfort zone on top of the pressure of it being my wedding. I'm going to do my own nails though since I love doing them 😁
  • Katie
    Newbie November 2020 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm currently planning my wedding for next year and I've decided to use friends who are in that profession. My best friend's sister is an amazing MUA and my long time friend who has been doing my hair for 10+ years (who also did my sister's hair for her wedding). My hairdresser usually doesn't charge for her service as it's her gift to me but I will tip her for her time since she will be at the wedding touching up my hair when needed. This will be the same for my MUA as well. I have curly hair so I don't trust my hair since and has a mind of it's own!

If you have a friend or if you practice and can do everything yourself, you will save lots of money. Do what's best for you and your budget. Also going to a place such as a school that has students learning makeup, nails and hair. Their prices are much much lower and many of them do a great job. Just go in and do a trial with them and see what they're capable of. You're doing them a favour by adding to their portfolio and confidence!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not doing my own because I’m pretty useless at anything to do with make up and hair lol it’s also one less stress for me to worry about - don’t need to stress over my make up turning out terrible or my hair not being right.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I thought about doing my makeup for a while... I was almost convinced that I could do it. But, then I realized (after many people suggested) that I will want to just relax and be pampered on my wedding day. I don't want to be stressed that my eyeshadow is imperfect, or eyeliner is smudged, or that my hair isn't curling properly. I decided it was worth the money to sit back, relax, and enjoy the treatment. 😊
  • Alana
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I won’t be doing my own. I’m not that good at it and I find that you really need professional make up in order for it to show in pictures.
  • Emily
    Beginner October 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will not be because I am incapable lol stuff like that is not my thing

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics