Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kathleen
Curious September 2022 Ontario

Made the decisions to postpone our wedding....am i wrong to feel a little sad?

Kathleen, on June 10, 2020 at 13:22 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15

Our wedding was initially scheduled for September 12, 2020. We've been engaged since December, 2018 and we felt that 2020 gave us enough time to find the vendors that we wanted and to save enough money to pay for what we wanted.

When Covid-19 hit, we were worried but optimistic, until it was May and the city wasn't making as much progress as we had hoped. So this past weekend, we made the decision to move our wedding. We still wanted September, so we chose September 25, 2021.

It makes the most sense. A lot of stores are still closed and we haven't been able to buy (or even look at) everything we need. We weren't able to do our engagement shoot. And by the time everything fully opens up, it will probably be August and that is just not enough time to get everything ready. This way we can save. This way we can relax. This way we can make sure that everyone on our guest list ends up coming to our wedding, as opposed to now, where our guest list may be limited. There's talk of a second wave hitting this September, making the idea to move the wedding all the more desirable.

I'm happy that our wedding will be safe from the restrictions and I was worried about money, so this development defintely eases that anxiety.

But am I wrong to feel a little sad that we had to reschedule? I really wanted to get married this September. But I didn't have to cancel, I've read so many posts about brides that are stuck in much worse situations than myself. That being said, I still felt a bit of grief when I had to accept that we were pushing the date to 2021.

Are there any other brides that did this? How are you coping? Do you feel the same way?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Jennifer, on June 12, 2020 at 08:31
  • Jennifer
    Beginner June 2023 Quebec
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You need to grieve. I definitely have and still do. I’m actually dreading next weekend since it’s supposed to be my wedding. We have been together for 9 years so let’s just say I was anxious to be married, and now we have to wait. It’s totally normal to be sad. It’s a huge life experience that has been cancelled or postponed. Yes, there is a lot going on in the world right now but this is a very important and meaningful life event, you can’t ignore how you are feeling. We have planned a special day for our “would have been” wedding next weekend just so that we can mark the day in a special way and keep ourselves busy so we don’t get caught up in the emotions of it. You do what you gotta do to get through it. Wishing you all the best. Hang in there!
  • Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You’re definitely not wrong to feel sad about it at all! You’re definitely allowed to grieve the loss of your original special day, it was supposed to be the day you dreamed of and it was taken from you because of something beyond your control and it sucks, but you are allowed to be upset! I was in the same boat, originally was supposed to get married in May, postponed to August and have further postponed to April 25th 2021 (our one year anniversary as we ended up doing our legal ceremony at home on that day this year). It SUCKED having to postpone a first time and even more having to reschedule a second time, processing the mixed emotions of being sad and angry that we couldn’t have the day we planned, but happy we were able to reschedule to the day we wanted and have a flawless experience with all of our vendors, and be able to gather without limitations and/or restrictions when this is all over and we can gather safely. Personally I’m trying to keep positive,we are discussing additional things that we cut out to reduce funds for our wedding since we have been able to save more due to the current situation, and are enjoying the extra time to plan, it sucks but it’s a little bit of positive in a not so great situation! My heart goes out to you and I hope your day is wonderful! 💕
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The mixed feelings of happy and sad will be there as many couples have faced the same decision as you have made. Its sad because this year has hit hard unknowing of the circumstances around the world and solutions are being worked to get back to normal our businesses and people working in sectors closed.

The happy feeling of not losing on the spending/deposits put towards the venue and vendors with their help towards your new date is wonderful. This secures your acknowledge of tension to still have the celebration next year with all out of town guests still coming with the clearance of the airports/borders.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You totally have the right to feel sad!!! weddings are such an exciting time. and we put SOOO much time, effort and money into it. im SOOO sad. our wedding is beg of aug and we are now just deciding to postpone and im SOOOO upset. literally crying. we got engaged in dec 2018 as well and thought 2020 would be perfect and now who knows when our wedding will be

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So sorry that you've had to postpone your wedding. You are so allowed to feel sad and upset. You've planned for this date for so long. I felt the same way before and even after we postponed.

My fiance and I have done the same thing with postponing until next summer. We've been engaged since Christmas morning 2017 and have had August 8 2020 set since the very beginning. We're lucky enough to be able to get married on the same weekend next summer August 7 2021 Smiley smile

Just thinking next year will be bigger and better then ever for everything!

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So sorry you had to postpone!! You’re not wrong at ALL to feel sad. Let yourself feel all the feels. Weddings are such an emotional and financial investment, a significant life highlight, etc. and it’s absolutely crushing to have your plans go haywire, especially due to these crazy unprecedented circumstances. Don’t fault yourself at all for being upset!
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Anytime ♥️
  • Jodi
    Beginner September 2021 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello,

Our date was also scheduled for September. 12, 2020 and we've recently made the difficult decision to postpone until September of next year. It is sad and for sure similar to a grieving process. Previously, I had pretty much accepted that we would have to postpone and my fiancee was optimistic. I was feeling sad, then mad and then acceptance. I then got my hopes up, only to be hit with reality. We also haven't had our engagement shoot as of yet. I've reached out to our photographer and we are actually going to have our photos done on the day we were supposed to be getting married. That will be a fun way to celebrate our "should have been wedding day." Perhaps with a Corona!!~

It is for the best, as everyone's safety is top priority. It will also give us time to save up more money and maybe personalize a few more things. By waiting we'll get the wedding day we've planned and have envisioned! It's also a chance to "redo" or make changes. For example, we planned on having our ceremony at 2:00, we've now changed the time of that.

Stay strong and know that things will work out and be worth the wait!

• Kathleen
    Kathleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is exactly how I feel! The date we picked, we went over all the dates that we could pick and narrowed it down to that specific date in 2020. The 2021 date is similar but it’s just not the same. I liked the symmetry of 2020 and how the date itself sounded (that sounds super corny but I felt attached).
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Agreed with what everyone has been saying here. It is perfectly acceptable to feel sad, mad, frustrated, everything! This is such an un called for situation and I still can't wrap my head around how quickly everything changed, literally in the blink of an eye.

It's kind of like all the stages of grieving.

I also love the idea of still doing something special on your day, just to acknowledge it and look forward to it still. Best wishes!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you should feel bad about being upset or sad at all! I feel the same way - our date wasn't special to us but I had grown an attachment to it.

Moving our wedding from July 2020 to September 2021 just feels ...awful, to be honest. Most people get to pick their wedding day/anniversary, I don't feel my new anniversary feels like "us" - if that makes sense?

However, we know we did the right thing for us, right thing for our guests - its just hard to swallow.

• Kathleen
    Kathleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I didn’t even think about acknowledging the old date somehow, I love that idea. And you’re right, we were talking about putting some extra money into the honeymoon since we have more time to save. Thank you 😊
  • Kathleen
    Kathleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m so sorry that this has happened to you ❤️ Thank you for letting me know that I’m not the only one.
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We also postponed to 2021 and I cry every single day.Its hard because we have been engaged for 9 years and are finally at the point that we can afford our dream wedding with no debt everything was set and ready for August.29 but then covid struck and shows no sign of going anywhere this year.Its ok to be upset a ton of planning goes into weddings and for everything to be ripped out from underneath you is devastating.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You are absolutely 100% allowed to be sad and upset about it. This is a day that you and your fiance have planned for, saved for, and dreamed of for years and it is ok to mourn the changes you've had to make.

A lot of people are choosing to acknowledge the day with something, a fancy date, a little staycation, or small gifts to each other.
    You can also find some positives to focus on if you find it's getting too sad. Maybe now that you have an extra year to save you can afford extra photography coverage or video, or an uplighting package, or a late night snack for guests. And as you've mentioned you've managed to escape getting stuck in a horrible situation like some brides have been unable to avoid.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics