Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rebecca
Newbie June 2022 Ontario

Losing hope of having the day we planned with never ending covid restrictions

Rebecca, on January 3, 2022 at 23:31 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15

Initially my fiancee and I were supposed to be married June 2020, we live in Ontario. Obviously 2020 we were essentially forced to delay, we chose to keep close to our date and postpone to June 2021, also hoping the pandemic would be over (oh how naive we were), January 2021, we chose to postpone 1 more year to June 2022 in hopes that the lockdown that was happening at that point would be the beginning of the end, and come 2022 we would be in the clear. Well, here we are 2022 has arrived and part of the reason for postponing was to protect vulnerable family members and now it may be too late. My fiancees grandmother may not have enough time left to make it to our June wedding. So, my question for all you brides who have postponed so so many times is this: how the hell are you all dealing with the stress? Wedding planning is no longer a joy for me and my wedding day is almost becoming something I'm dreading rather than looking forward to due to this pandemic. (not doing our original plan is not affordable due to amounts paid before the pandemic)

15 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on February 12, 2022 at 09:30
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Times of the pandemic has set a lot of couples back from their original date as you feel the joy has been taken away. Don't let this get to you and with your grandmother feeling not getting there to be in June, have your wedding with her present and celebrate the reception in June with the full guest list. I know it may sound to be an alternative though she means so much to you and to be there seeing you getting married. Take the chance now and have a simple ceremony to see her happy since she is present now than to feel not there if that may concern you.

• Tiana
    Curious June 2022 British Columbia
    Tiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much! Fingers crossed for you too!!
  • Rebecca
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Fingers crossed your day works out this time! Being in health care through all of this is definitely a distraction haha. So far we’ve been fortunate and we’ve been able to keep all of our vendors it’s just going to be guest list that might be different. Hopefully you get to enjoy your day when it comes with minimal stress!
  • Tiana
    Curious June 2022 British Columbia
    Tiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh I'm so so sorry and heartbroken to read all your stories. My partner and I got engaged in August of 2020 and originally thought we'd be getting married in June of 2021. Luckily, very early into the planning process we realized that would be risky and so decided to push it a year to June 2022 so we would be "absolutely safe" (famous last words).

I'm simultaneously realizing how close June is, and how much there is to do, while not wanting to do anything because I am terrified things will get pushed or cancelled. It ironically (considering it's a wedding) has made me very wary of committing to vendors, paying deposits, etc.
    We have an extreme back up plan of just having 10 or so people at the original venue, but we've been so excited and have put so many other things on hold (moving, buying a house, etc.) on hold for this that it's incredibly frustrating and upsetting to even think about.
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Girl, sounds like our story too! June 2020 to October 2020 to August 2021 to now June 18, 2022

Personally I just halted most of the planning. Most of the important things were done and secured before we shut down in 2020- so I just ported whatever I could to each new date. Losing a few people on the way.I’ve only recently started checking in again on vendors, and trying to stay positive that our June date will go ahead.
    I am a frontline nurse- so, that’s how I’ve been dealing with wedding stress…just had zero time to even think about it. So now, I’m starting to once again sift through plans and try again. It’s been so frustrating and heartbreaking. This group has been a god send to me. Knowing I’m not alone and hearing everyone else’s uplifting messages keeps me sane. We just gotta breathe and think happy thoughts. Focus on the endgame 🙂I’m sorry you’re going through this too. It’s a bummer. Truly. Always here for support if you need!
  • Rebecca
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my goodness that’s horrible!! I’m so so sorry! I know that this pandemic has put so much stress and strain on couples getting married just trying to start their life together. I hope that your day in May goes well and that you’re able to enjoy you’re day with all of the restrictions and with your father in law to be
  • Melanie
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ugh, are you me? Haha. I could have written this but replace your future husband’s grandmother with his father. His father has terminal cancer and took a turn before Christmas so he won’t be here with us on May 28. Smiley sad I feel so incredibly frustrated and defeated. We got engaged in April 2020, naively booked for May 2021 and postponed to May 2022. In November we found out our venue is not even open because they aren’t participating in the vaccine passport program so we had to pivot and downsize from 125 people to 29. Now I’m questioning if that’ll even happen or if other restrictions like masking will be in place. Masking maybe doesn’t seem like a huge deal to some brides but I’m deaf so rely on lip reading a lot and so do my two best friends. Even clear masks are harder to hear through. The venue has assured me that it should be warm enough to have dinner outside and under the vaccine passport program they have more freedoms but still. I’m very worried and feeling stressed that I can’t really talk to my fiancé about it as his dad is dying. I haven’t even sent invitations yet although most people know they are invited.
  • Rebecca
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have a feeling that it’s going to be a small intimate day, which really at this point at least it’s a wedding. But with such big families the smallest numbers are just immediate family which is also hard to take. We’re also delaying starting a family, I’m glad to hear that it worked out for you to start yours! Hopefully your second wedding is wonderful and everything that you want it to be! Smiley smile
  • Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally get where you’re coming from! Ontario bride here too! We were supposed to be May 2020, did a quick ceremony at home in April 2020 when we were able to get a marriage license because I feared restrictions wouldn’t allow for us to do something in the May. We postponed to August 2020, April 2021 and now April 2022. I feel so defeated and have no excitement to plan anymore! On top of it all too we just became new parents as we didn’t want to further delay on our family plans so I’m really hoping that we can do atleast something small from our already super small wedding in April! Honestly at this point I’m fine with even the 25 people that it was a while back as I am so over delaying it lol! My fingers are crossed for you that you can continue with your June date! 💜
  • Rebecca
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha yea, tell me about it. I requested to have a redo 6 month meeting with my venue so I can ask those questions and be prepared to tell our guests what restrictions will be in place so they have as much notice as possible. But with the ever changing Ontario restrictions it’s so hard to keep up with what’s allowed and what’s not. We’re planning on having an extra information card in our invites for covid related notifications
  • Monica
    Newbie August 2022 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Trying to plan a wedding in Ontario right now is such a bummer. I am hoping too come the summer things lighten up. It seems a repeat of last year and things finally let up once the summer months hit. Staying optimistic its sooner than later! I’m trying to figure out if I need any COVID stipulations on my invites :s
  • Rebecca
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is such a lovely thought! Thank you for reminding me that as an idea!!
  • Rebecca
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel your pain, I’m also in health care, I work in a pharmacy. I can’t even begin to imagine the stresses of being a front line nurse during these trying times. I’m so sorry to hear about your mother, hopefully she’ll be able to be beside you in her best of health for you day.
    Hopefully one day this will all be over and health care workers especially the ones like you who are working in the front lines will get a break so we can de-stress and love life again.
  • Sascha
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Sascha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I too am worried about my spring wedding. May 14th. Everything changes so quickly and further planning anything else has become lacklustre due to this hanging uncertainty.
    I also work as a front line nurse. My mother is also sick and I have been very much using this wedding as a needed positive distraction.

In the event the restrictions continue. We will just have the ceremony at my church and have to cancel our reception.
    It feels like this is never ending and our lives will forever be on pause.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm really sorry to hear about your fiance's grandmother. I think with two summers of covid in hindsight, a lot of people are aware of what constitutes a safe gathering during the warmer months. I hope with that knowledge, you'll be able to look forward to your day. And of course, I hope your grandmother in-law will make it until then.

If things don't look too optimistic for her, perhaps you can host a small celebration of your love and eventual union. That way, she can be with family to witness your commitment to one another. I know it's not the same but sometimes, especially with everything going on now, these small moments have big impact.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics