Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner June 2019 Ontario

Long Weekend Wedding help!

Taylor, on September 10, 2018 at 15:08 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

I am torn right now between my first date (july 6th) and june 30th (sunday) before Canada day. I found out my best friend is already in a wedding as MOH and would be very torn between us two, so I'm trying to find pros and cons to each before I switch.

Does anyone know if vendors are more expensive on a long weekend?

What are your thoughts on a sunday long weekend wedding?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Moira, on September 11, 2018 at 14:40
  • Moira
    Newbie September 2020 Alberta
    Moira ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only real issue that I can forsee is venues and other vendors being booked with holiday parties and such. I’d definitely would want to get on that ASAP to prevent disappointment.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Clarissa's point about pick a date that works for you and FH, and the VIP's you want there. and go from there. it won't work for everyone. for us, we had 20 people that we REALLY wanted to make sure that were there (obviously there was more. but these 10 were a have to have). one of those people was my best friend. so that would be a factor for me.

as a wedding guest. I hate when long weekends are taken away from me cuz we try and go away. and its usually more costly hotel/gas wise. but I know someone that did the june 30 wedding this year. and it worked out for her (most of her guests were local. so no hotels needed).

around me. not a lot of vendors charge extra for the holiday. you may get a couple here and there. but so many of them are used to working weekends. that they just roll with it.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You will pay more for some things on a long weekend. Venues and catering/bartending can cost more because they have to pay staff more, hotel rooms and travel will cost more because it’s a holiday (so consider your guests there too).

You will never find a weekend that works for everyone so I would suggest pick the date that works best for you two, your immediate family, and those close friends you need there on the day.

We are also doing a long weekend. But a lot of our guests do not need to travel far. Also, we cleared it with all our immediate family and closest friends first to be sure the weekend worked for them. And then when it didn’t work for some guests we were understanding that not everyone wanted to travel on a long weekend especially since it is a family holiday.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad to help! Good luck with everything Smiley smile

• T
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Bianca! That really helps me feel better about the date! I

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm also having a long weekend wedding (Sunday August 4, 2019) and I am 100% for it! June 30th was the original date I wanted, however we changed it since FH's aunt is already going to a wedding that weekend (in Alaska).

I can assure you that most vendors do not charge a premium and in fact, you might get a discount since it's on a Sunday! Since your BF can't make it if you do it on July 6th, I definitely suggest moving it to June 30th.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Personally for me, if I was a guest and invited to a wedding on Canada day weekend - I wouldn't care too much as it's not that big of a holiday for me. Just like Valentine's day or St. Patrick's day.

If it was something more like Thanksgiving or Christmas or even New Years eve - then I may be a little peeved about it.

All in all though I would still go to the wedding as the person inviting me clearly means enough to me that I was invited at all.

It's one of those things where you may just have to let people make remarks and keep focused on the fact that it is your day and if it really isn't something they are willing to come out for then you don't want them there anyway.

• T
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your response! I am so worried about getting remarks about the long weekend haha! I read so many articles of people bitching about them. It wouldn't bother me if someone had a wedding on a long weekend, especially a Sunday! I would just go to a cottage for Friday & Saturday and be back for Sunday!

• T
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much for your response. I am really torn right now... was set on July 6th, but having my best friend there seems more important to me!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Seeing as your best friend is already committed to another wedding I would move it regardless of the price. Of course that would be with my mindset of thinking that I would absolutely be torn to pieces if she couldn't attend my wedding because of that.

Pro's - you get your friend

-more people will be able to come out without time off work

- free fireworks?

- easier for out of towners

- you'll never forget your anniversary date Smiley tongue

Con's - you will either have to pay as if your wedding is on Saturday or holiday pay

- it's not your first choice so you may have chosen the 6th for a reason

- you may get snide remarks about putting your wedding on a long weekend

- hard to get hotel blocks unless you get them well in advance

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately, some vendors charge extra for long weekends. Not all though! Personally I think weddings is on long weekends are great! Especially for people who have to drive far or travel to get to your wedding. It’s one less day they have to take off work. If it happens to land on the day your best friend is MOH already for someone else, I would just let her know not to feel torn and that you understand that she already committed to a wedding.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They should not be more expensive on a long weekend. Many vendors don't have price changes throughout the year now, as more and more "off-season" dates become more popular.

My sister was going to get married on the Sunday of the August long weekend. No one (my mom, me, dad, etc) saw an issue with that. My cousin got married on the August long weekend about 5 years ago, and the only downside was some distant family members didn't want to give up their long weekend plans to go to the wedding... but honestly, anyone who's important will make sure they are there.

I don't see cons to it, aside from people being busy. For pros, in the future your wedding anniversary will always be near a long weekend, which can actually be nice, either taking the long weekend for getaways, or needing to take one less vacation day to take a week off!

Another pro is that your out of town guests get extra travel time they don't have to take off from work, and you also get a full day before the wedding to prepare, as well as a full day after to recover! Without taking any additional time off work!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics