Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chanelle
Beginner July 2021 Alberta

Long sleeve dresses in summer

Chanelle, on January 24, 2020 at 19:28 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 11
I’m looking at having my bridesmaids in long sleeve dresses- my wedding is in July. They’re sheer sleeves so not hot. But is this still crazy??

11 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on January 29, 2020 at 16:46
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a person who absolutely MELTS in the heat, I wouldn't be down for this lol.

I'd run it by your bridesmaids. They're the ones that will have to wear it. Even sheer material can be super hot (if its a synthetic, its won't breathe very well).

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No not at all i have my girls in long sheer dresses as well!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as it isn't going to leave sweat marks under their arms from it and you are in air conditioning for your reception I would say it's up to you and your girls. If more than one of them object or raise concern then I would say to try and avoid it.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the others, I think your bridesmaids will be very uncomfortable in long sleeves.
    I got married early September and my dress had a sheer, illusion neckline and back. I found that part of the dress very hot. Also, illusion fabric will stick to sweat and, frankly, it doesn't look good when it does this.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think long sleeves are a good idea if you’re outside at all. If you’re in air conditioned comfort all day, then you’d probably be fine.
    It comes down to absorbency and how breathable the fabric is. Any fabric that isn’t natural (cotton, linen, nylon) won’t breathe and won’t absorb much, leading to sweat central for your bridesmaids.
    Sheer material has the same problems as thicker poly material (especially since it’s guaranteed man made) so even though it looks light, your bridesmaids would be hot and racing for the deodorant all day. You probably would be best to keep it sleeveless as best you can and keep them comfortable.
  • Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm also having a July wedding. I wouldn't want my bridesmaids in long sleeves. You could luck out & have a cool day, but more than likely it'll be warm & they might get uncomfortable quick. But if you're having an indoor ceremony/reception then that would be different.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm having a July wedding and it'll be outdoors, and I wouldn't make my wedding party wear long sleeves no matter the material. I feel bad enough that FH wants to wear a 3-piece suit! But it was his choice, so I'm not going to bug him about it. I also have a problem with heat and get affected by it easily if I don't take the proper precautions. So I'd be talking to your bridesmaids about it at the very least
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you're outside it would probably be too hot. Plus with sheer sleeves you might still need to put sunscreen on which means they might need to take the dress off to reapply.
    If you're indoors it might be more comfortable.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t do long sleeves in july - it’ll be way too hot. My sister is in a strapless but long dress and it’s really elegant (I think anyway! But I’m probably a little biased lol)
  • Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes. It will most likely be hot. It’s not like crazy but yes even sheer sleeves can be hot. Fabric is gonna be the main factor. Mesh fabrics typically don’t breath. Chiffon is great but if the lining of the dress is not a cool fabric you can get sticky and hot in other places lol. Depending on the quality of tulle or netting sweat doesn’t evaporate through it and it can be hot. The style of sleeves or sleeveless itself doesn’t matter as much as the fabric and lining. Think of normal clothes I’d rather wear a sheer long sleeves blouse in the summer than a wool tube top! Kind of a dramatic example but I think you get the drift LOL
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Are you inside for air conditioning most of the time or is it mostly outside? I personally find bridesmaid dresses hot enough never mond adding sleeves in July... have you felt the material? Does it feel really light?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics