Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie August 2018 Ontario

Location, location, location

Sarah, on August 23, 2017 at 15:41 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5
Hey Ladies!
My SO family is out east and mine is here in Ontario. I'm really not into a destination wedding but I don't know how to compromise for our family so one isn't paying more than the other.
Advice?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 1, 2018 at 10:20
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stick to a wedding in your town and do a second reception with your family in the east after a month or so. I have seen this done before.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd have a discussion with your VIPs from both families (as few people as possible so you can actually get things done!) and find out if they are able to travel and how far, and when. We had to do this when I got married, it was very important to me to get married where I grew up, so we had a discussion with my DH's parents first to make sure they would be willing and able to travel abroad to where I'm from to attend, since we would not want to get married with out them! If they had said no we would have had the wedding where they lived since we knew my parents would be willing to travel wherever. If everyone is open to traveling if necessary, then I agree that it will be much easier to plan where you live.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I live in Ottawa and am getting married in Cobourg (3 hours away) and that has been tricky at times for planning. I would suggest sticking to having your wedding where you live and then maybe doing a party down East after the wedding. If people really want to attend your wedding, they will find a way to do it no matter where it takes place.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Having the wedding where you and your FH live would be much easier because of the amount of planning involved. I realize that it will cost people to travel. If they can't afford to travel, maybe you could visit them after the wedding and they might want to have a small party for you out east instead of spending the money on airfare and hotels. It's cheaper for you to go east than for all of them to travel to Ontario.

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Personally, I would stick with where you live because I would think it's so much easier to plan something at home unless you want the beach wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics