Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Curious October 2022 Ontario

Littles ones attending wedding

Giuseppina, on June 12, 2022 at 16:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advise. For starters, I absolutely love and adore kids and babies and all the kids and babies in my family and in my Fiance's family.
I really want an adults only wedding with no crying or screaming babies during the ceremony, or little ones running around at the reception. There will be an open bar, lots of dancing and the day will be a really long day.
I just feel bad about telling people no kids.
How has anyone dealt with this through their own experience?
Thanks in advance!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Giuseppina, on July 6, 2022 at 07:49
  • G
    Giuseppina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Vinod! Thanks for you response.

That's actually exactly what we have decided on doing. We will be marking the RSVP cards for just the adults. Thanks so much for the suggestion and response!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Adults Only would be a great way to phrase it on the invitation for all your guests to know no kids will be present. The RSVP card can be marked for the guest count as they wouldn't be able to add anymore to it.
  • G
    Giuseppina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi everyone- thank you all for your advise and comments. I really do appreciate it!
  • Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I attended a wedding where there were no kids allowed. it was beautiful

it was so nice to have a evening with my fiancé where we didn't have to worry about our daughter or make sure she was being quiet behaved or occupied.

HOWEVER , communication is key for this...

the couple's wedding we attended made no mention of children not being permitted to attend and we heard this 3rd hand after already telling our daughter who was heart broken she was not allowed. which sucked because she was excited.

we were told it was implied because her name was not on the invitation and we should have known it sat off with me to not communicate something like that and just imply it. there was no mention on the invitation or from any of the family (it was my fiancé's cousin) & the family is all pretty close & they talk a lot my fiancé was even standing in the wedding and no one told him...

i feel like as long as your open about it and communicate it will with your guests then it will be completely fine. sure some people will be upset but after all it is your day.Smiley heart

• Brooke
    Brooke ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a tough one, especially if you don't want to step on people's toes. What we did was only extend the kids an invitation if it was of immediate family and friends. For example, my 3-year-old nephew is attending as his the ring-bearer, and we also have two other couples bringing their 3-year-olds as one is the flower girl and the other is a good family friend. When it came to older kids, especially if a couple had more than 2, we didn't address them on the invitations if they weren't close family or friends. When it came to cousins that have young ones (as they don't really count as "bodies"), we left it up to their discretion if they wanted to be responsible for them during the wedding. Don't stress about it though - in my experience, our guests were happy to find a babysitter to give them a night off and no one was hurt that their kids weren't invited Smiley smile

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Be up front, just tell them it's an adult only wedding. It's your day not theirs. It's becoming more and more popular these days. I've had to tell my bestfriend that as much as I love her and her family that inviting 7 of her family and skipping out on 7 close family member is unfair to me and the family since I am only having a small wedding. It wasn't easy but she understood and so did the rest of the family.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would just be completely clear with your guests that it is an adults only wedding.

• Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just be clear and honest with your guests. Kid-free weddings are pretty common these days so I think most understand.
    We put right on our website that due to limited space we were limiting the amount of children invited.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just state that the event is not suitable for children. Be prepared to have people RSVP no though.

• A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want the same thing! Be upfront on your invitations and wedding website so there’s no confusion! My mistake is I didn’t put it on my invitations but on my wedding website so I’ve had several people ask me if they can bring babies, toddlers and kids. My own toddler won’t even be there. I’ve kept saying we just can’t afford to have everyone’s kids and left it at that. As for infants mothers breastfeeding I’ve had to tell them not to bring their baby’s and it’s hard and it’s awkward and I feel bad but I don’t want a crying baby at my wedding and I want parents to enjoy the night out! So I’ve had one of our guests with an infant decline on coming and I completely understand there’s no hard feelings but it is hard to explain to guests.
    So definitely being upfront and very clear is key for zero confusion.

This is what I put on my wedding website. So when I put the guest names I didn’t add and family just the direct guests who were invited, if that makes sense

UNFORTUNATELY, WE CANNOT ACCOMMODATE GUESTS NOT INDICATED IN THE INVITATION. REST ASSURED THAT YOU WILL BE SEATED WITH PEOPLE YOU KNOW!
PLEASE CHECK YOUR INVITATION, 
THE INDIVIDUALS INVITED TO OUR WEDDING ARE INDICATED ON THE RSVP

ARE KIDS WELCOME?

AS MUCH AS WE LOVE YOUR LITTLE ONES, WE ARE ONLY ABLE TO ACCOMMODATE TO OUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY AT OUR RECEPTION. WE WISH WE COULD INCLUDE ALL CHILDREN, BUT UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS A NECESSITY RATHER THAN CHOICE, IT IS CHILDREN OF IMMEDIATE FAMILY ONLY 
PLEASE CHECK YOUR INVITE FOR YOUR RSVP.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics