8 Comments

Latest activity by Charlotte, on November 5, 2020 at 13:55
  • Charlotte
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    He has not bought one yet but he has a plan and knows what he wants and needs. I’m leaving it up to him and staying mostly out of it
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Charlotte, did your FH find his suit? If so, where did he end up going?

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Can you check department stores? like the bay or nordstrom or H&M?

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They might. Menswear stores have quite a bit of stock so you can call and ask. You normally find linen suits in department stores located in malls, like H&M or Zara. I wouldn't recommend going to them for a suit. Quality's not the greatest and prices are not worth it.

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Do the stores mentioned have a variety of options? Do they have a linen option for me to browse?
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Typical costs for a decent suit can cost you $300-$1000 depending on how you go about it. If you're on a budget, I would try the chain menswear stores first like Moores. They typically will have suits up to 50" sometimes 54" and offers all your standard neutral colours like black, charcoal, navy, and gray. They have sales throughout the year that can net you a wool suit for less than $300. Avoid places like Indochino. It's a cheap suit but they're sizing can be pretty off and the quality shows for the price you're paying.

There's a Mr Big and Tall in Napean and a George Richards in Ottawa. Both stores cater to bigger and taller men and they have an online catalogue for you to browse.

If heat is an issue, I recommend getting a 100% cotton t-shirt, a 100% cotton dress shirt (make sure there's no polyester) and a wool suit. Wool doesn't wrinkle as much as linen and the fabrics look much nicer. There are also some wool blends that combine with spandex to give a stretchier fabric, allowing the wearer to have something slimmer looking without tightness.

It may sound counter-intuitive to wear a t-shirt under the dress shirt when you're overheating but it also provides an insulating layer that keeps your body cool while absorbing any sweat so his dress shirt won't have sweat stains, especially in the armpits and back area, during your wedding.

Good luck!

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is the start of our hunt! We don’t have a set number but are on a budget so nothing too expensive. (I honestly don’t know the cost of suits, so browsing might be able to help me with a number). I was hoping to look at some online during this time. 3XL is just what he wears for regular clothes, the suit will be tailored to his measurements! He’s a bigger guy, 6’4” and 300lbs, so shopping for him can be difficult, most places don’t carry his size in store. I didn’t know that they could order in any size!

My fiancée gets hot easily and wanted a beach wedding, which we decided against. So he likes the idea of a cooler suit as we are getting married end of July, so right in the summer heat. He’s tried on linen suit pants and found they were much cooler, they seemed to fit good, looked the same as other suit pants!
    Do you know what places, Ottawa area or other, offer linen? Online is even better, so I can browse during these times.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you called around menswear shops in the Ottawa area? Do you have a particular budget?

By the way, I highly recommend not getting suits that list their sizes in standard S,M,L,XL etc. Even if you get an off the rack, you should get suits that are made to the inch. Find out how big the wearer is and then get a suit based on that size. Most suit stores will have stock up to 50" and anything beyond that can be customized if they don't have it.

Just curious, why linen? If you're getting a suit at that size, it's not the best fabric in my opinion as linen doesn't stretch well and compared to other fabrics, the suit will not look as new as it wrinkles easily.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics