Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Let's Talk Photos! First Look

Joey, on June 25, 2018 at 09:38 Posted in Before the wedding 0 25

Many couples are choosing to forgo the old tradition of not seeing each other before the wedding, and opting instead to do a First Look with their photographer (or a First Touch for those who don't want to give up the surprise moment of seeing each other for the first time when the ceremony begins). Are you doing a First Look or First Touch?

Let's Talk Photos! First Look 1

Photo by Stone Mill Ballroom in St Catharines

>>Click here to talk about photos of The Rings

>>Return to the start of the Let's Talk Photos game for more photo talk

25 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on July 1, 2018 at 10:20
  • Stephanie
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, we will be doing a first look. We both want to enjoy cocktail hour with our guests that are mostly travelling for this day only. Formal family pictures will have to be done, but at least we'll get most of our couple/bridal party shots prior.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No, my fiancé would like to wait to see me walking down the isle.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It will be part of the ceremony and we have 2 photographers so we should be covered for that Smiley smile

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a first look photo, still haven't gotten my pics but this is the one i am must excited to see.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right? I had never thought of it either... but considering the number of criers in my (and his) family, pre-ceremony is a huge plus Haha.
    And she wasn't upset like, telling me I'm wrong, just "oh no, really? Oh, your (step)dad said his favourite part was seeing me for the first time walking down the aisle"... and I said that's nice, my fiance is okay with the first look. End of discussion. Haha.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't even think about the benefits of everyone still looking "fresh", such a bonus!

I'm sorry to hear that your mom was upset by your decision to do a first look. I find that parents have their own vision of how things should be done and need to be worn down sometimes to realize that that's not how it is anymore.

• Brenda
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll see each other earlier on the day at the tradition tea ceremony but will be nice to save the first appearance in wedding dress until the moment down the aisle!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We’re doing a first touch, around a door like the photo, and our photographers will be there to capture it!

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not doing these, I refused to be seen before walking down the aisle - call me traditionally superstitious lol also, I think it's more fun that way personally.

I am going to ask my photographer to take a photo of the chapel (with my groom and guests) from my POV so that his expression is documented, and vise versa from his POV.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be waiting till the ceremony to see each other, that is something very important to my fiance. But we are planning on doing a first touch!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are doing the same thing. Due to the time of year, and not wanting a 3 hour cocktail hour, we need to do our photos first, and then have the ceremony go straight into the reception.

My mom was upset at first, but my fiance is not good with showing emotions in public, so I think a First Look will be the best way to get a genuine reaction out of him, without the fear of 100 pairs of eyes on him.

Also, a friend of mine mentioned her daughter did a First Look/photos first, and it was great, because everyone was still "fresh": hair, make-up, no wrinkles in clothes, etc...

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope. He didn't see me until I walked down the aisle.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope, we won't be doing this!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not doing a first look but might do a first touch just before the ceremony

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing a first look and keeping it traditional. Our venue location is nice cause we'll do our photos during cocktail hours but we'll still be able to interact with our guests as its all so close.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We only have half an hour pre-ceremony with our photographer and I'm undecided if I want last minute getting ready pics or a first look instead,

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing a first look. My FH wants to see me for the first time, when I'll be walking down the aisle!

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing either of those. We are going the traditional route and waiting until I walk down the aisle.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Absolutely doing the first look. We're doing all our pictures before the ceremony (in order to reduce the time between the ceremony and reception), so by default we're doing the first look lol.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope. FH and myself are both pretty set on the first time he sees me all done up will be when I walk down the aisle. I’ll be doing a first look with my dad though. Lol
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I decided against this mainly because I want the first time my fiancé sees me in that dress to be when I walk down that aisle.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes!!!! This is how we will also avoid cocktail hour! This way we don't have to leave the guests while we take them because we will have already gotten our photos for the wedding party done before getting married.

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First look with my parents, grandparents and a first look with the Groom at the venue.

We are then doing the wedding party & family pictures before the ceremony so we can enjoy the cocktails with our guests

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! We are actually doing all of our bride-groom photos and wedding party photos before our ceremony.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a first look, and I'm so glad we did. It got rid of all of the pre wedding jitters and helped get a lot of the tears out of the way!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics